McLaren / CNBC

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Clearhooter

McLaren / CNBC

Sometimes I wonder about; well, dumb stuff.... This season, from the start, I've watched F-1 on, ESPN of some sort. And from the beginning I noticed on the McLarens the "NBC Peacock" and CNBC under it.

Has anyone beside me wondered what was up with that ?

mclaren111

Re: McLaren / CNBC

Sponsorship.

Before this they had CNN.

adrianjordan

Not sure what you think is "up with" it?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Clearhooter

But wasn't an affiliate of CNN involved with the broadcast? Don't know. Asking.

If it's just sponsorship and that's all CNBC is wanting. They're getting high visibility for a small space. Can't say they've backed a winner this year. I've not been really happy with this seasons coverage from my SE USA carrier ESPN. The camera work has been awesome. The announcers leave me wanting, as far as understanding them. They have pretty heavy accents and use a lot of colloquialisms. Living in the southern USA all my life, I know I have a NC accent. (Watch an Andy Griffith Show. You'll hear it.) I hear it. I hear other ones throughout America. But there is an acceptable American, non-accent for broadcasting current events, in the USA. "Mid-Western" it used to be called. It's void of "local embellishments." I don't have to "run the tape back" three times to understand what they're saying. There have actually been some pretty decent discussions this season. But it's really been a chore to keep up... . What ? There ain't no "Mid Western" UK accent ?

If I had the announcers from last year. The camera crew from this year. This years dynamics. All wrapped up in a bundle. And all on ONE station. Dedicated to a Formula One broadcast on my USA carrier. THAT ! Would be what I hope that CNBC Peacock might mean.

But also in my dreams, I see Alonzo and Riccardo driving for HASS........

Nickel

Might be good for you to be exposed to different accents? Or not.

I moved to a place with dozens and dozens of different English accents abounding. At first it was challenging but you get used to it and learn to love little peculiaritiesof each. Insularity isn't generally the best anyways.

Good luck with your challenges.

adrianjordan

In the UK we have many different accents, I myself am from The North and have a Yorkshire accent (think Ned Stark et al on Game Of Thrones) and there are some regional accents that I struggle to understand (some Midlands accents can be very strong). We also have what is known as "Received Pronunciation" (also know as Queen's English) which is what used to be the norm on BBC in years gone by, but these days most TV presenters just use their normal accent. For example David Coulthard ia one of the commentators on our Terrestrial coverage and he has a Scottish accent, albeit a softer one compared to some I've heard!!

As for the logo on the McLaren, it is purely sponsorship - it just happens that in the USA it means they're being shown on a rival network.

FYI the camerawork is the same on all broadcasters as FOM provides a "Global Feed" which the different networks then add their commentary etc on top of.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Clearhooter

Nickel wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 05:02

I moved to a place with dozens and dozens of different English accents abounding. At first it was challenging but you get used to it and learn to love little peculiaritiesof each. Insularity isn't generally the best anyways.

Good luck with your challenges.
I don't mind accents and colloquialisms in the course of general conversation. Then, I can always say... "Whut ?" But I prefer being able to understand what a commentator is saying without having to rewind continuously and then, sometimes STILL "can't make heads or tails" out of what is said.

I could understand the guys better last year.

adrianjordan

Could always use the subtitles...

Clearhooter

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 06:10
In the UK we have many different accents, I myself am from The North and have a Yorkshire accent (think Ned Stark et al on Game Of Thrones) and there are some regional accents that I struggle to understand (some Midlands accents can be very strong). We also have what is known as "Received Pronunciation" (also know as Queen's English) which is what used to be the norm on BBC in years gone by, but these days most TV presenters just use their normal accent. For example David Coulthard ia one of the commentators on our Terrestrial coverage and he has a Scottish accent, albeit a softer one compared to some I've heard!!

As for the logo on the McLaren, it is purely sponsorship - it just happens that in the USA it means they're being shown on a rival network.

FYI the camerawork is the same on all broadcasters as FOM provides a "Global Feed" which the different networks then add their commentary etc on top of.
Same here in the USA. We have three distinct ones in NC alone. An "Andy Griffith" accent goes from the foothills west. The "Mid West" accent, from the Foothills and the Piedmont, Then from the Eastern Piedmont to the coast you can hear something entirely different that I have a hard time understanding. And too. These aren't nearly as pronounced as they used to be. But our TV news broadcasts here are void of any accents or colloquialisms unless for comic relief. The exception is NASCAR. When the Waltrips are gone, you probably won't hear accents on NASCAR anymore. We've become so PC here, for an announcer to joke about an accent will put them on a black list. So you don't hear accents on any TV News. I mean... I wouldn't want to hear my voice and accent as a TV announcer. I could never take anything I said serious. "Queens English" I suppose would be equivalent of our "Mid Western" accent.

Another thing that would NEVER happen here 10 years ago, would be alternative TV sponsorship on a rival network. Has NBC or an affiliate ever carried a full season of F-1 ?

Yeah... I knew there was just one broascast. Didn't know who. I assumed that each network that has taken turns broadcasting F-1, hired their own camera crews. If not the case, then they are learning well as they go. Because this seasons angles and direction and coverage in general, is better than last years. imo

I don't feel ESPN has put their whole heart into these broadcasts. We get phrases like "We'll return after these messages." And they don't !
Last edited by Clearhooter on 23 Jul 2018, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

Clearhooter

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 22:34
Yeah... I thought about that this morning. Still distracting. But better than not knowing. Do they have subtitles on live TV ?

Big Tea

Clearhooter wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 22:47
adrianjordan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 22:34
Yeah... I thought about that this morning. Still distracting. But better than not knowing. Do they have subtitles on live TV ?
Here is a primer for you :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyyT2jmVPAk
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

The point as I see it is that in broadcasting clarity is of prime importance.
These guys should be sent to elocution classes.
Nobody should have to go "whut". It should be clear and distinct.
In the U.S., at least, when you try to go into broadcasting of any kind, elocution is the first thing they look for.
Maybe the U.K. is different but the current line up and especially Paul would never get a job.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

strad wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 23:21
The point as I see it is that in broadcasting clarity is of prime importance.
These guys should be sent to elocution classes.
Nobody should have to go "whut". It should be clear and distinct.
In the U.S., at least, when you try to go into broadcasting of any kind, elocution is the first thing they look for.
Maybe the U.K. is different but the current line up and especially Paul would never get a job.
Is there any reason why non UK countries can not put their own audio stream on it?
Parts of UK have regional TV and there are a choice of audio streams for things like sport events.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stef

They can, but they'd have to pay their own commentators, with travels et al.

notsofast

Elocution is nice, but a thorough understanding of the sport is essential. Except for the starts/restarts, when Crofty turns into a raging lunatic, the Sky coverage is a huge improvement over whatever was there before in the US. The world cup, for example, was totally unwatchable. At least with the TdF they're using someone with an accent, so obviously that guy knows something. :-)

Back on topic. CNBC is carried on various TV systems around the world, so it's not so surprising that they would want to sponsor an F1 car.