2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Ringleheim wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 05:27
zibby43 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:03
marvin78 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 21:57
There are so many factors which could influence the mentioned data that this talk must be BS.
Yep, those pesky Mercedes and Renault engineers fabricating GPS data again. :lol:

Would explain why a Sauber and the 2 Haas cars are week-in, week-out top 10 cars now.
Yes, the Ferrari engine is the new Mercedes. The huge domination Merc has enjoyed since the advent of this formula is now finished.

Not sure if the Ferrari has come on strong of late or Mercedes slipped back a bit, but I am now convinced the Ferrari is straight up the faster car right now and its engine straight up the most powerful.

As things stand at the moment, it's Vettel's championship to lose.

Seeing as I love Ferrari and hate Lewis Hamilton specifically, this is a wonderful development!

:lol:
Oh man I hope you just didn't dial up a Seb DNF. That's all it takes to throw the championship right back open.

Bottas is going to be out gunning for some revenge today.

zibby43
zibby43

Ringleheim wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 05:44
MtthsMlw wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:03
Lewis: "Gears won't change"

"Zero throttle, zero throttle"
"So stop stop, stop stop"
"Stop stop, stop stop"
Lewis: "Guys, I need to make it back"

"Negative"

Lewis: "It's trundling"

"No. Stop stop, stop stop"

"Loss of hydraulic" "Stop stop, stop stop"

Lewis: "..."

"Lewis need to stop stop, stop stop"
"PU risk, this is a PU risk"
Lewis: "It won't go into neutral"

"So just switch it off, just switch it off electrically"

"Just brake to a halt, brake to a halt, brake to a halt"

"You should anti-stall and then switch it off"
Lewis' prima donna performance on Saturday was really quite something.

First he is seen moping around the paddock looking as if he is physically or emotionally injured...then a number of offs, culminating in banging his car over the curbs and breaking something.

Then refusing to pull over immediately risking destroying the PU.

Then he does his weird bow-down/prayer thing next to the car, holding up the poor corner marshals who are just trying to do their jobs and get the car out of the way.

What was all that about? Mini-nervous breakdown? Reminds me of Mika Häkkinen at Monza some years ago. :lol:
He didn't break anything. Every single publication has reported that the hydraulics failure occurred before the off-track excursion.

I understand that you may be a fan of another driver, but to actually revel in someone's disappointment like this is some pretty narcissistic behavior. I don't mean to say that with any disrespect; just letting you know it's not a good look.

siskue2005

zibby43 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 07:26
Ringleheim wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

"Stop stop, stop stop"

"Negative"

First he is seen moping around the paddock looking as if he is physically or emotionally injured...then a number of offs, culminating in banging his car over the curbs and breaking something.

Then he does his weird bow-down/prayer thing next to the car, holding up the poor corner marshals who are just trying to do their jobs and get the car out of the way.

What was all that about? Mini-nervous breakdown? Reminds me of Mika Häkkinen at Monza some years ago. :lol:
He didn't break anything. Every single publication has reported that the hydraulics failure occurred before the off-track excursion.

I understand that you may be a fan of another driver, but to actually revel in someone's disappointment like this is some pretty narcissistic behavior. I don't mean to say that with any disrespect; just letting you know it's not a good look.
Don't feed the trolls man. If we don't respond they will go away

zibby43
zibby43

siskue2005 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 08:04
Agreed. Just couldn't hold back on that one.

It's funny, you'd think that with Ferrari's pedigree in the sport, Ferrari fans would respond to success by acting like they've been there before. Guess it's been a long 4 years! :mrgreen:

marvin78
marvin78

And we have the kindergarden again. Weird behaviour of some people here.

giantfan10
giantfan10

zibby43 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 08:09
siskue2005 wrote:
Agreed. Just couldn't hold back on that one.

It's funny, you'd think that with Ferrari's pedigree in the sport, Ferrari fans would respond to success by acting like they've been there before. Guess it's been a long 4 years! :mrgreen:
Naa its probably a reaction to 4 years of hearing how Mercedes is the best at everything and that usual nonsense.....
Add to that the Sky networks obvious bias.
Ominous is another irritant lol.
In all seriousness its the middle of the season and in 2 or 3 races the pecking order could be flipped upside down.....there is nothing to celebrate yet.
It is funnt though reading about Mer edes whining about Ferrari having a half a second advantage on the straights....
You have to be able to take it after dishing it out for 3+ years

zibby43
zibby43

50% chance of rain before and during the race.

Let it rain.

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 2682888192

iotar__

siskue2005 wrote:
- Name calling for arguing and quoting radio exchange, isn't that against the rules? I'll feed driver fanatics in denial, they will not go away :D .

- Hamilton had a high speed off track moment going over grass, jumping on kerbs several times and caused his own problems. You of course cannot accept this simple fact and move on, latching onto every coma from conflicting statements or pauses from inteviews.

- At Mercedes it's the usual mess of damage control when basic reality meets our 30+ million driver cannot be wrong, mess up qualifying and end up 14th instead of 2. It's not in our corporate script, neither is critique. The only part missing is "it's James" apologising for Hamilton's inability to keep his car on track and in one piece.

Anyway, I wonder if Mercedes will use Bottas to take out (or race hard if you prefer) Vettel since they believed it's a viable tactic for top teams and the one Ferrari could have used in the past.

atanatizante

There`s no doubt that from Canada on Ferrari PU is the most powerful out there.
But it`s interesting to see why they are ahead now, isn`t it?

I don`t buy that 28kW/38HP AMuS argument due to at least 2 factors: they don`t have access to the team's data and secondly, they can`t do either simple math or don't have the knowledge (for instance, once they said that Ferrari has increased their ES from 4MJ to 4.4MJ in order to gain 28kW but when you do the math you could see its rather 4.93MJ ... then they bounced from the presumable 120+28kW=148kW to 150kW saying that means 201HP instead of 204 ...). So it's not the first time they didn't give us some reliable info ...

Toto said they are now gaining some 5 tenths on the straights and that is not due to Ferrari`s 38HP gain as it`s almost impossible to achieve these days in such a short frame of time and there was a quote in AMus from an advised person how said that this amount of HP could be reached only in 2 years development time ...

He identified 2 elements which are responsible for that gain: TC and MGU-H and all the odds are favourable for the latter. But normally this costs the engine too much power because of the exhaust backpressure and Ferrari has found a way to reduce the power loss of the ICE due to their Shell investments in combustion with TJI, HCCI and so on technologies. But that`s not all. Furthermore, Shell has done his homework for a more important aspect: fuel formulation or fuel calorific power hence more HP. So they are ahead of both combustion+fuel side and from MGU-H side for allowing them now, presumably, 120kW constantly both in qualy and maybe even in the race. And that's the reason why they don't need to harvest so much via MGU-K as AMuS said.

This progress on ICE side is translated in better traction out of slow to medium corners and that allows them to alter their deployment strategy with no more time spent out of the corners (like everybody team does) and now being solely for the straights. That explains why after 200km/h (in Merc case) Ferrari`s speed is going upwards towards top speed sooner, coz their deployment is doing longer times than the opposition. And that`s the reason they are gaining time on the straights coz they could stay longer on top speed ...

And that`s not all. Having a speed advantage in the straight (not to be confused by top speed) this allows them to have a bigger RW AoA hence more DF out of the slow and medium corners.

And finally, they have better starts out of the line also due to having a better traction and that`s another proof for their progress in combustion & fuel side ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

zibby43 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 07:26
Ringleheim wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

"Stop stop, stop stop"

"Negative"

Toto Wolff's immediate response was that according to the data, the problem occurred after the car bumped a few times.

Whatever comes afterwards is just fabricated PR bull**** which you want to believe, which is understandable since you are a fan of a specific driver. I felt for Hamilton when I saw him sitting beside the car, even though it was a bit too much, just like press claiming Hamilton 'struggling to stand' after Silverstone. Humans make mistakes all the time. Some people need to grasp the reality that Hamilton indeed is a human and can make mistakes, instead of convincing everyone otherwise.

F1Krof

zibby43 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 03:52
F1Krof wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:57
Hey, when are we starting to complain that the Ferrari's engine is too powerful and it's not fair and that their chassis sucks but it's the 'power' that's doing all the work and when are we asking to change the rules? :P
Yeah. As a Merc fan, part of me would actually be happy for Ferrari fans getting to experience this year.

But so many of them have been so absolutely insufferable during Merc's dominance that it's hard to feel any happiness for them whatsoever.
Exactly what I feel. Funny now everybody downplays Ferrari's engine advantage.
Wroom wroom

MtthsMlw

Juzh

some laps from quali

kimi q3 first run
https://streamable.com/tebpb

vestappen q2 run soft tires
https://streamable.com/o172l

grosjean Q2 run
https://streamable.com/1j4ka

Sieper

Yeah well, Verstappen second lap on the softs was much faster, he was also already passed the gravel strewn on track by Ericsson and about to finish when the red flag was waved to clean up said gravel. No start on Yellows, unfortunate.

Dave P Fanclub
Dave P Fanclub

atanatizante wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 11:49
There`s no doubt that from Canada on Ferrari PU is the most powerful out there.
But it`s interesting to see why they are ahead now, isn`t it?

I don`t buy that 28kW/38HP AMuS argument due to at least 2 factors: they don`t have access to the team's data and secondly, they can`t do either simple math or don't have the knowledge (for instance, once they said that Ferrari has increased their ES from 4MJ to 4.4MJ in order to gain 28kW but when you do the math you could see its rather 4.93MJ ... then they bounced from the presumable 120+28kW=148kW to 150kW saying that means 201HP instead of 204 ...). So it's not the first time they didn't give us some reliable info ...

Toto said they are now gaining some 5 tenths on the straights and that is not due to Ferrari`s 38HP gain as it`s almost impossible to achieve these days in such a short frame of time and there was a quote in AMus from an advised person how said that this amount of HP could be reached only in 2 years development time ...

He identified 2 elements which are responsible for that gain: TC and MGU-H and all the odds are favourable for the latter. But normally this costs the engine too much power because of the exhaust backpressure and Ferrari has found a way to reduce the power loss of the ICE due to their Shell investments in combustion with TJI, HCCI and so on technologies. But that`s not all. Furthermore, Shell has done his homework for a more important aspect: fuel formulation or fuel calorific power hence more HP. So they are ahead of both combustion+fuel side and from MGU-H side for allowing them now, presumably, 120kW constantly both in qualy and maybe even in the race. And that's the reason why they don't need to harvest so much via MGU-K as AMuS said.

This progress on ICE side is translated in better traction out of slow to medium corners and that allows them to alter their deployment strategy with no more time spent out of the corners (like everybody team does) and now being solely for the straights. That explains why after 200km/h (in Merc case) Ferrari`s speed is going upwards towards top speed sooner, coz their deployment is doing longer times than the opposition. And that`s the reason they are gaining time on the straights coz they could stay longer on top speed ...

And that`s not all. Having a speed advantage in the straight (not to be confused by top speed) this allows them to have a bigger RW AoA hence more DF out of the slow and medium corners.

And finally, they have better starts out of the line also due to having a better traction and that`s another proof for their progress in combustion & fuel side ...
That's really interesting (and plausible) atanatizante. Mind me asking you where you're getting these theories from?