2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McHonda

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Gothrek wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 11:56
McG wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 19:05
Gothrek wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:59

Cant put the blame on Stoffel for a broken car McLaren refused to fix or by not giving him updates in compared to Alonso. Half the time they are driving a different car.
Alonso said McLaren have only had 1 meaningful upgrade this season so far. So I'm not sure why you are putting so much emphasis on their cars being different.

We'll see if Waffle improves or not. We'll also see if McLaren keep him or not and who they replace him with.
On big updates yes. But for example Monaco. Who was driving the new front wing with better downforce and about 0.2s faster? Only Alonso. There were even 2 wings, but they wanted to keep a spare for him...
Do you remember why?

Gothrek

McHonda wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 11:58
Gothrek wrote:
McG wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 19:05

Alonso said McLaren have only had 1 meaningful upgrade this season so far. So I'm not sure why you are putting so much emphasis on their cars being different.

We'll see if Waffle improves or not. We'll also see if McLaren keep him or not and who they replace him with.
On big updates yes. But for example Monaco. Who was driving the new front wing with better downforce and about 0.2s faster? Only Alonso. There were even 2 wings, but they wanted to keep a spare for him...
Do you remember why?
Enlighten me.

McHonda

Gothrek wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 14:48
McHonda wrote:
Gothrek wrote:

Do you remember why?
Enlighten me.
Monaco last year. They only had 2 new floors and gave Stoffel and Button one each. Stoffel crashed and they had to take the floor off Button which put him to the back of the grid.

From then on if they only brought 2 of something then they go to the same car.

Gothrek

McHonda wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 15:54
Gothrek wrote:
McHonda wrote:

Do you remember why?
Enlighten me.
Monaco last year. They only had 2 new floors and gave Stoffel and Button one each. Stoffel crashed and they had to take the floor off Button which put him to the back of the grid.

Button? And why would they need to remove the floor of one car when the other one crashes? Doesnt make a lot of sense.

Peter1919

Gothrek wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 16:04

Button? And why would they need to remove the floor of one car when the other one crashes? Doesnt make a lot of sense.
Yes Button, Alsonso was off driving in the Indi 500 missing Monaco and Button was bought back as his subsitute

McG

Hasn't Alonso basically thrashed every team mate he's had apart from Hamilton? That could be 1 fair thing to say about Waffle.

So if Waffle is as fast as Kimi and Massa then I guess it's not too bad.
F1 is dead.

McHonda

Gothrek wrote:
McHonda wrote:
Gothrek wrote:

Enlighten me.

Yeah Button, he replaced Alonso who was at Indy.

It makes perfect sense. Stoff is defacto number 1 because Button is only there for one race so they had one new floor each and Stoff wrecked his in qualifying. So they took the other new floor off Button and gave it to Stoff and Button put on an old floor of a different spec instead and because it broke parc ferme rules Button then got a penalty.

So in future if you've only got two they both went to the same guy to avoid a repeat.

Benii6

McHonda wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 17:06
Gothrek wrote:
McHonda wrote:

It makes perfect sense. Stoff is defacto number 1 because Button is only there for one race so they had one new floor each and Stoff wrecked his in qualifying. So they took the other new floor off Button and gave it to Stoff and Button put on an old floor of a different spec instead and because it broke parc ferme rules Button then got a penalty.

So in future if you've only got two they both went to the same guy to avoid a repeat.
If I recall correctly, Button was already starting at the back, because of engine penalties.

M840TR

Button on Alonso's retirement:

I said to him he’s finally made the right decision. He’s woken up and smelled the coffee, as we say," Button told reporters at Silverstone on Saturday following WEC qualifying.

"He’s finally made the right decision. It’s always down to the individual when they choose to leave Formula 1. He’s done the same thing as what I chose to do, leave but leave it open for one year after to go back.

"I think that’s the right option to do. But if the McLaren’s quick and it’s winning races, he’ll be back in Formula 1.

McHonda

Benii6 wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 17:15
McHonda wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 17:06
Gothrek wrote:

If I recall correctly, Button was already starting at the back, because of engine penalties.
He was yeah but he still had to now drive a car with a different floor and no set up for it.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 23:54
NathanOlder wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 23:44
kptaylor wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 19:10
Don't forget McLaren are also negotiating for Key. Norris to STR in exchange for Key's early release and for not picking up Sainz's option sound reasonable. Now just to see if they resigned Norris and loaned him versus letting him go.
I know TR tried to get Norris already this season, but why do they want to loan a Mclaren driver. All it does is helps Mclaren with their young driver program.
Remember this is Toro Rosso who's sole purpose is to bed young drivers in and gain the experience to go on to Red Bull.

I really dont get why they would loan another driver from another major team. Surely it makes more sense to pick up a young driver from F2 or WEC who has a licence and isnt already part of an academy
Norris did some testing with the Honda engine at Mclaren. I wonder if it is some sort of comparison or if they found they could work well with him?

They think he can help them get point this year and next which means more money for finishing higher.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 17:28

I said to him he’s finally made the right decision. He’s woken up and smelled the coffee, as we say," Button told reporters at Silverstone on Saturday following WEC qualifying.

"He’s finally made the right decision. It’s always down to the individual when they choose to leave Formula 1. He’s done the same thing as what I chose to do, leave but leave it open for one year after to go back.

"I think that’s the right option to do. But if the McLaren’s quick and it’s winning races, he’ll be back in Formula 1.
Like you said ....One can only hope.

The problem is, things get complicated fast for bringing Alo back in once he leaves. If you're running Sainz and Ocon for example and they're doing well.......you really gonna risk that on bringing Alo in? Sure if they're is an opening but I find it highly unlikely they'll have an opening if they're doing well. It would take a situation where you think the car is really good but one or both drivers aren't taking it to the next level. He should have stayed and had a ton of fun with Sainz. I fear he's repeating the Ferrari mistake.

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 18:18
M840TR wrote:

The problem is, things get complicated fast for bringing Alo back in once he leaves. If you're running Sainz and Ocon for example and they're doing well.......you really gonna risk that on bringing Alo in? Sure if they're is an opening but I find it highly unlikely they'll have an opening if they're doing well. It would take a situation where you think the car is really good but one or both drivers aren't taking it to the next level. He should have stayed and had a ton of fun with Sainz. I fear he's repeating the Ferrari mistake.
I actually think Fernando decided to take one for the team, his exit frees up a huge amount of funds. He and Zak seem to have a very good relationship, I feel he'd stay if Zak really needed/wanted him to. Next year is about rebuilding, Sainz is a good signing and if the rumours of Ocon are true, he's solid as well. The reality is Mclaren isn't a team for someone eager to win a world championship. I'm happy in way, that they're realizing that now. It's all about rebuilding.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McHonda

diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:

If Lewis or Max was available and wanted to come in that situation would you bring one of them in over Sainz or Ocon?

Same obvious answer for Alonso, Hulk has shown Sainz's level and Ocon can't unseat Bottas, it's a total no-brainer to bring Alonso in if/when the car can challenge. Only time it wouldn't be is if it was Sainz+Norris and Lando really is a top tier driver and they don't want the drama like the other top budgeted teams. Alonso vs a young Brit and the press would be back at it trying to create another 2007 so I'd avoid that one like the plague.

diffuser

McHonda wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 18:41
diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:

If Lewis or Max was available and wanted to come in that situation would you bring one of them in over Sainz or Ocon?

Same obvious answer for Alonso, Hulk has shown Sainz's level and Ocon can't unseat Bottas, it's a total no-brainer to bring Alonso in if/when the car can challenge. Only time it wouldn't be is if it was Sainz+Norris and Lando really is a top tier driver and they don't want the drama like the other top budgeted teams. Alonso vs a young Brit and the press would be back at it trying to create another 2007 so I'd avoid that one like the plague.

Well, it's a no brainer to bring in Alo at Ferrari to partner Vettel but that's not happening either. In spite of all the times RAI lets him passed or does something to help his race.