2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

Tire Choices

2017 Results
Qualifying

Race

2017 Pole Lap

2017 Race Highlights

Zynerji

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

The big story will be the seat swaps if they happen...

Sad, as this is usually an epic race!

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 21:36

The only seat swapping I could imagine is Ocon/Perez with Stroll. RIC and SAI and all the rest are under contract for the year.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 21:42
Zynerji wrote:

The only seat swapping I could imagine is Ocon/Perez with Stroll. RIC and SAI and all the rest are under contract for the year.
You don't think OCO/PER/STR are under contract until the end of the year? :wtf:

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 21:50
Jolle wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

They were, but it's quite possible that Force India's contracts are worthless right now due to the takeover. And Stroll can prob just pay off his contract to go to his own team now.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 21:56
Zynerji wrote:
Jolle wrote:

They were, but it's quite possible that Force India's contracts are worthless right now due to the takeover. And Stroll can prob just pay off his contract to go to his own team now.
Not sure how it works in the UK, but when I'm hired to fix a company (US) that was just purchased, even in chapter 11 bankruptcy, previous contracts are still in force...

dfegan358

Will we see Ferrari and Mercedes introduce spec 3 Power units in their cars here? Will be interesting

Ferrari and Vettel need a win!

Zynerji

I bet not. SPEC3 at Monza for sure!

f1316

Last year, when Mercedes introduced a new spec at Spa it was tactical (and clever) as there were new oil-burning regs were coming in at Monza; this year, I’m not sure they have the same imperative to do so.

It might depend on how many of the remaining races they think they can revert back to spec 2 on; Singapore and Mexico stand out, but are there really any others?

For some reason I think Mercedes might want to double down and push home their advantage by introducing a new spec here, thereby giving themselves what would likely be a clear performance advantage on pure pace. They may have the mindset that if Lewis leaves Spa with a 30+ points advantage in the championship, it will have dealt a powerful psychological blow.

But that’s just a hunch with no information on which to base it - you could just as easily make a case that Ferrari will be anxious to make inroads on the gap ASAP, so will want to pull th trigger sooner.

All of which supposes that these spec 3 units are even ready - don’t forget Mercedes were behind schedule on spec 2 which may have in turn pushed back the schedule for 3.

Blackoutjulian

Lots of rain and really cold weather forecasted for Spa the whole weekend.
Looks like the weather gods really hate Ferrari the last couple of races. Already "damping" my excitment that F1 is back.

Sierra117

f1316 wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 09:10
Last year, when Mercedes introduced a new spec at Spa it was tactical (and clever) as there were new oil-burning regs were coming in at Monza; this year, I’m not sure they have the same imperative to do so.

It might depend on how many of the remaining races they think they can revert back to spec 2 on; Singapore and Mexico stand out, but are there really any others?

For some reason I think Mercedes might want to double down and push home their advantage by introducing a new spec here, thereby giving themselves what would likely be a clear performance advantage on pure pace. They may have the mindset that if Lewis leaves Spa with a 30+ points advantage in the championship, it will have dealt a powerful psychological blow.

But that’s just a hunch with no information on which to base it - you could just as easily make a case that Ferrari will be anxious to make inroads on the gap ASAP, so will want to pull th trigger sooner.

All of which supposes that these spec 3 units are even ready - don’t forget Mercedes were behind schedule on spec 2 which may have in turn pushed back the schedule for 3.
On the other hand it might be better to introduce it after Ferrari does, because then you have some sort of target. Doing it before Ferrari means they then can't better that beyond turbos or something. Toto mentioned that having a target instead of being the target is slightly better in terms of development. A clear target to match and/or beat and if you think about it, Merc have done pretty well to get closer to Ferrari.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

gridwalker

Zynerji wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 22:00
Jolle wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 21:56
Zynerji wrote:

Not sure how it works in the UK, but when I'm hired to fix a company (US) that was just purchased, even in chapter 11 bankruptcy, previous contracts are still in force...
If Force India was a British registered company, then TUPE legislation (Transferral of Undertakings & Protection of Employment) would apply, forcing the new proprietor to take on all existing employees on the same terms as existed previously. Those contracts are still legally enforceable.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Danlizzyman

Blackoutjulian wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 10:12
Looks like the weather gods really hate Ferrari the last couple of races. Already "damping" my excitment that F1 is back.
I've been checking the forecast often as I'm attending the race this weekend, Saturday now forecast to be 10 degrees, that's crazy for August! If any sessions are run in the dry they'll struggle big time to get temp into the tyres.

WaikeCU

Danlizzyman wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 11:33
Blackoutjulian wrote:
I've been checking the forecast often as I'm attending the race this weekend, Saturday now forecast to be 10 degrees, that's crazy for August! If any sessions are run in the dry they'll struggle big time to get temp into the tyres.
8 degrees, coldest period in the night. 14 degrees highest during the day, thus still way too low. Rain expected throughout the weekend. I expect something similar to Hockenheim where one area of the track is still dry and other area are very wet. Low temperatures with inters or wets, will be similar as driving on ice. Could be the most exciting race of the year.

LM10

WaikeCU wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 12:09
Danlizzyman wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 11:33
Blackoutjulian wrote:
8 degrees, coldest period in the night. 14 degrees highest during the day, thus still way too low. Rain expected throughout the weekend. I expect something similar to Hockenheim where one area of the track is still dry and other area are very wet. Low temperatures with inters or wets, will be similar as driving on ice. Could be the most exciting race of the year.
A race does not get exciting in such conditions. It just gets chaotic and mostly things happen which shouldn’t happen.