General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

GhostF1 wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 01:23
bigblue wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 22:56
In an article at grandprix.com Cyril Abiteboul was reported to have said :
He also said Ricciardo had "justified doubts" about Red Bull's Honda engines for 2019.
Hmmm ! Think Ricciardo has justified doubts about the Renault too judging by their current reliability.
Can we ban Cyril from the entire sport? He has some of the worst sportsman qualities. I think it's disgraceful how he talks of other competitors. He has ragged on Honda multiple times since the RBR-Honda deal was announced. I'm struggling to see where he thinks he and Renault stand in comparison???
They are arguably doing worse... If anything it's embarrassing they were equalled (or maybe even surpassed) by a late starting Honda.
I like him. He's fun. Been a while since we had true characters in the paddock. Flavio, Bernie, Vijay, Ron, frank williams.. To name a few.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Snorked

Due to Tanabe's way of working Honda can complete a PU change in an hour?

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/401616/2
Another improvement is ready for review. For example, in the third free practice Saturday 7 against Canada Grand Prix F1 power unit of Pierre Guthrie occurs; End of session and an hour later in the Toro Rosso garage going to make power unit was mounted on a vehicle "as is".
Even if Honda until 2017, after free practice 3rd began replacement work, replacement of each unit was took more than an hour. As a result, it's thought "as" the author will not be exchanged with power unit.

But actually you already replaced and finished was. It staff that Honda's "qualifying time if it was last year, when the Exchange at that time, was whether a subtle timing" and had talked about.

Tanabe TD said: about replacement came early this year.

"Preparing as much as possible. Reviewed the State of preparations in advance so no possible waste time experiencing the unexpected power unit replacement. So big has a vehicle and replace the power supply that is what teams and also talked about how "

Once, fought with former F1 driver Gerhard Berger says.

"Tanabe is a very talented engineers. It's okay if you leave him.

Zynerji

That translation reads a bit rough..

PlatinumZealot

Looks like he has invented a way/design to switch in a new complete engine and ancillaries in one fell swoop.

This sort of thing always happens in engineering. Good comes from the bad.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Squid

I don't know if we should call Cyril a "true character". His only distinctive trait is that he's a pathological bullshitter. His latest interview with AMuS was highly AMuSing (sorry). This part in particular:
How far is Renault in terms of engine performance still behind Mercedes and Ferrari?

Abiteboul: That's hard to express in numbers because everyone has different numbers. We believe that in the race we are still five to ten kilowatts behind Ferrari and Mercedes and between 20 and 30 kilowatts ahead of Honda.
The Renault is not that close to Ferrari / Merc and ESPECIALLY not that ahead of Honda. Cyril can Abiteboulshit as much as he wants, but it's pretty clear on track that the Honda engine is comparable to the Renault.

Besides, Red Bull has both engines. They know better than Renault how comparable they are. All information Renault has on the Honda comes from McLaren, and it's vastly outdated information.

techman

Abiteboul: That's hard to express in numbers because everyone has different numbers. We believe that in the race we are still five to ten kilowatts behind Ferrari and Mercedes and between 20 and 30 kilowatts ahead of Honda.
Total bs by this dude. honda are on par with renault. cant wait for next season when redbull shines and exposes that overated renault engine .

dren

Marko touting Honda's resources and commitment to the F1 project: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13816 ... -any-rival

"Next year Honda will make a much bigger effort. They have a development centre in Sakura which nobody can keep up with.
"The Japanese have a different culture and a different way of working. You learn that over time.
"Our approach with Honda is different than McLaren's.
"They were telling them how they wanted the engine to be built, we just say, 'Build the fastest engine possible for us, then we will try to fit it into the chassis'.
"We don't have any demands, we discuss everything together."
Honda!

lio007

I was recently thinking about Honda's development partners. Is there any information if Illien / Ilmor is working with them?

ivanlesk

If next year RBH doesn't win championship heads should roll.

Singabule

ivanlesk wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 07:52
No, Horner dismiss any champhionship change next season. Both Honda and RB would enjoy 2019 season before 2020

etusch

Singabule wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 08:43
ivanlesk wrote:
No, Horner dismiss any champhionship change next season. Both Honda and RB would enjoy 2019 season before 2020
They already said that 2019 is a transition year. Toro Rosso makes positive statements all the time about current partnership and as main team also choose to switch Honda those statements are true(at least most of them) , we can say.
What I want to say is that , if redbull makes same with new partnership then everything will be good.
Redbull will make integration better for sure as switch didn't happened suddenly and their tech ability . But of course they have big claims unlike Toro Rosso. This is only thing and very important thing to put there a pressure affect.

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 09:40
Singabule wrote:
ivanlesk wrote:
They already said that 2019 is a transition year. Toro Rosso makes positive statements all the time about current partnership and as main team also choose to switch Honda those statements are true(at least most of them) , we can say.
What I want to say is that , if redbull makes same with new partnership then everything will be good.
Redbull will make integration better for sure as switch didn't happened suddenly and their tech ability . But of course they have big claims unlike Toro Rosso. This is only thing and very important thing to put there a pressure affect.
I think they will be quite happy if they join the big boys next year.
It is not likely they will win the championship with new engines and a new driver with little experience, it will be a building year, a sighter.

The difficult part for them is where to pitch the challenge.
Mercedes want the constructors as much as the drivers, Ferrari seem to aim for the drivers at the expense of the constructors so are not concerned about sacrificing on driver.
RBR are not able to take one path or the other. They will have to decide how much to push the engine for points or save the car for the next race too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

Big Tea wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 11:39

It is not likely they will win the championship with new engines and a new driver with little experience, it will be a building year, a sighter.

Mercedes want the constructors as much as the drivers, Ferrari seem to aim for the drivers at the expense of the constructors so are not concerned about sacrificing on driver.
RBR are not able to take one path or the other. They will have to decide how much to push the engine for points or save the car for the next race too.
I think Gasly will obey team orders and Max will push. So if Honda can do a bit better and reliable engine they can fight for WCC. Gasly is better than merc and ferrari's second drivers. Of course İf Max is Verstappen not crashtappen. :-)

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 12:55
Big Tea wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 11:39

I think Gasly will obey team orders and Max will push. So if Honda can do a bit better and reliable engine they can fight for WCC. Gasly is better than merc and ferrari's second drivers. Of course İf Max is Verstappen not crashtappen. :-)
I think I will withhold judgment on Gasly being better than Bottas and Kimi :D
He looks good, but we have not seen him against a known quality yet.
I think Marco will have made the ground rules clear though.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ivanlesk

Singabule wrote:
ivanlesk wrote:
Well I don't care about that. Alot of people around here were constantly ranting and commenting about McLaren performance this year etc.

Well, if people think that that amount of work can be done in half of season then it applies to RBH also. So let see..