2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

ispano6 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 03:47
M840TR wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 12:43
godlameroso wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 12:06
Split turbo for Renault coming soon.
What are you onto?
"I can understand the scepticism of the teams, but we are not recruiting someone of the calibre of Marcin in a position of executive director JUST for what he knows of the other teams," Abiteboul told Autosport, saying he believed Renault had agreed a plan for Budkowski's employment with the FIA that was "extremely fair with everyone".

Split Turbo and twin battery perhaps? Haas like floor within regulations too?
You don't just go ahead and change your entire engine design at this stage in the regulations. Honda did in 2017 and look how much havoc that wreaked. Budkowski may be able to highlight some grey areas like the rumored twin-battery setup but not this. Split turbo is more for aero and balance reasons anyway, not power which is what Renault needs.

ispano6

M840TR wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 06:25
ispano6 wrote:
M840TR wrote:

What are you onto?
"I can understand the scepticism of the teams, but we are not recruiting someone of the calibre of Marcin in a position of executive director JUST for what he knows of the other teams," Abiteboul told Autosport, saying he believed Renault had agreed a plan for Budkowski's employment with the FIA that was "extremely fair with everyone".

You don't just go ahead and change your entire engine design at this stage in the regulations. Honda did in 2017 and look how much havoc that wreaked. Budkowski may be able to highlight some grey areas like the rumored twin-battery setup but not this. Split turbo is more for aero and balance reasons anyway, not power which is what Renault needs.
If the regulations aren't to change in 2021 and were to continue into 2022-23, then changing the entire engine design now with this major technical advantage coming onboard would give you 2019-2020 to work out the initial gremlins of understanding a new design's weaknesses, giving a more realistic shot at the title for 2021-23.

When it comes to Abiteboul I rarely trust what he says, and when he says it will be "extremely fair with everyone" I'm extra skeptical. The only way it would really be fair is if Budowski is barred from joining a team until the next formula is determined. If Renault suddenly makes a quantum leap with a new architecture I would be a bit suspicious. However Renault will lose a benchmark in Red Bull and will have to rely on theirs and McLaren's data, so that will be somewhat of a loss.

Ironically, as we've all seen, the havoc the 2017 Honda engine revamp caused became a blessing. And with the re-architecture they've set themselves up to hopefully match Mercedes... who have now been outpaced by Ferrari... So now we have Honda with a MB "clone" and could Renault pursue a Ferrari clone? It kind of makes sense to copy the fastest known entity. Renault might have made a similar dead-end realization with their current design that Honda did. All speculation ofcourse. I'm sure Budowski will make an impact, fair or unfair.

M840TR

ispano6 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 07:16
M840TR wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

If the regulations aren't to change in 2021 and were to continue into 2022-23, then changing the entire engine design now with this major technical advantage coming onboard would give you 2019-2020 to work out the initial gremlins of understanding a new design's weaknesses, giving a more realistic shot at the title for 2021-23.

When it comes to Abiteboul I rarely trust what he says, and when he says it will be "extremely fair with everyone" I'm extra skeptical. The only way it would really be fair is if Budowski is barred from joining a team until the next formula is determined. If Renault suddenly makes a quantum leap with a new architecture I would be a bit suspicious. However Renault will lose a benchmark in Red Bull and will have to rely on theirs and McLaren's data, so that will be somewhat of a loss.

Ironically, as we've all seen, the havoc the 2017 Honda engine revamp caused became a blessing. And with the re-architecture they've set themselves up to hopefully match Mercedes... who have now been outpaced by Ferrari... So now we have Honda with a MB "clone" and could Renault pursue a Ferrari clone? It kind of makes sense to copy the fastest known entity. Renault might have made a similar dead-end realization with their current design that Honda did. All speculation ofcourse. I'm sure Budowski will make an impact, fair or unfair.
Renault paid the price in 2017 when they changed their design philosophy. Why would they do it all over again when they finally have an engine that's decent reliability and power wise, relative to previous years, as a good foundation for the future? The split turbo isn't a solution to power deficit anyway and it comes at a serious reliability risk which they cannot afford given the penalty system. Honda did it in 2017 because their previous design reached it's development ceiling due to smaller turbo size etc and even they couldn't anticipate the chaos. It got so bad that the vibrations started breaking the chassis! Honda's eventual upturn in performance was due to design stability. It was inevitable really. As Newey says, if you've got a spark lit then stick to what you know.

ispano6

Honda and Mclaren's failures are well documented - the blessing is Honda being relinquished from a McLaren team out of their breadth and eventually ending up in arguably the best chassis on the grid all while getting paid by McLaren with Latifi's money!

I don't know Renault's development ceiling with regard to performance or reliability but if Red Bull chose to go with Honda (also due to political reasons), it likely means Red Bull has identified that performance ceiling or at least greater potential in Honda's PU. If that isn't a reason to be retrospective of the current design philosophy then I don't know what would be. Besides, the OP merely mentioned split turbo, and I merely interjected Abiteboul's quote as speculative (yet reasonably deduced) support to the notion that Renault will be privy to the technology (perhaps dated and faded with memory) other teams have proposed and even have had rejected.

M840TR

ispano6 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 08:57
Honda and Mclaren's failures are well documented - the blessing is Honda being relinquished from a McLaren team out of their breadth and eventually ending up in arguably the best chassis on the grid all while getting paid by McLaren with Latifi's money!

I don't know Renault's development ceiling with regard to performance or reliability but if Red Bull chose to go with Honda (also due to political reasons), it likely means Red Bull has identified that performance ceiling or at least greater potential in Honda's PU. If that isn't a reason to be retrospective of the current design philosophy then I don't know what would be. Besides, the OP merely mentioned split turbo, and I merely interjected Abiteboul's quote as speculative (yet reasonably deduced) support to the notion that Renault will be privy to the technology (perhaps dated and faded with memory) other teams have proposed and even have had rejected.
Their reasons have more to do with being exhausted by years of underachievement and trying something new. One last shot at glory, if you may. That's why Marko said they'll quit if it doesn't work till 2021. Plus Honda brings millions in funds and a works status. Eventually all engines will get closer in performance anyway, so why not be financially and organizationally well off even if you have a marginally under performing power unit.
I don't disagree with what you said about Budkowski. Of course he'll come bearing secrets. But not split-turbo.

mclaren111

Autosport:
McLaren is considering running with a more extreme Monza-style set-up on its car at the Russian Grand Prix in a bid to improve its straightline speed performance.

The team's progress this year has been hindered by a car that has more drag than its rivals, plus a gear ratio choice that is not ideal for long straights.

While the gear ratio issue cannot be sorted because teams are stuck with them for the season, McLaren still thinks it can make top speed gains through aerodynamic changes.
"The work hasn't stopped. We're full-on on next year's car but we come in to every weekend trying to do a little bit better, fight for points, and improve our position in the championship."

Still can't believe they made such a fundamental mistake on gear ratios !!

At least full focus is on 2019.......

Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 12:35
Autosport:
McLaren is considering running with a more extreme Monza-style set-up on its car at the Russian Grand Prix in a bid to improve its straightline speed performance.

The team's progress this year has been hindered by a car that has more drag than its rivals, plus a gear ratio choice that is not ideal for long straights.

While the gear ratio issue cannot be sorted because teams are stuck with them for the season, McLaren still thinks it can make top speed gains through aerodynamic changes.
"The work hasn't stopped. We're full-on on next year's car but we come in to every weekend trying to do a little bit better, fight for points, and improve our position in the championship."

We can thank Matt Morris for that.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Macklaren

mclaren111 wrote:

Wonder if the late engine change had something to do with this.

Godius

If I recall correctly there was 1 in-season gear ratio change allowed since the new regulations in 2014. Since when was this in-season ratio change prohibited? Must be in recent years I reckon.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
M840TR wrote:

What are you onto?

It isn't clear to me what is meant by split turbo. Compressor and turbine are always split. In the Renault I believe the MGU-H sits in the PU followed by the compressor then turbine. The Merc and Honda have the compressor at the front and Turbine at the back.
In 2016 Ferrari switched to the Renaut "type" solution and are generating the same,maybe more power, than the Merc.

Even on the aero balance you have trade offs.

diffuser

Godius wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 17:03
If I recall correctly there was 1 in-season gear ratio change allowed since the new regulations in 2014. Since when was this in-season ratio change prohibited? Must be in recent years I reckon.
My understanding is it was never changed ...it was just a 1 time deal, 2014 only.

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
Autosport:

Anybody know what the gear ratio issue is ? 8th not big enough Step between 7th and 8th too wide not wide enough ?

I can't even find onboards with speed on straights....

henry

diffuser wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 17:19
Godius wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 17:03
My understanding is it was never changed ...it was just a 1 time deal, 2014 only.
They were allowed one in-season change to the selected for 2014 and again in 2017, to accomodate the uncertainties of a big rule change.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

proteus

diffuser wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 17:25
mclaren111 wrote:
Autosport:

Anybody know what the gear ratio issue is ? 8th not big enough Step between 7th and 8th too wide not wide enough ?

This gearbox issue was clear in Canada (i hope im not wrong about the circuit), where Alonso was in the slipstream of Leclerc with DRS active, catching him up, getting alongside but unable to overtake, jet the RPMs were maxed out the whole time. The main pain of Mclaren is its gearbox. Damn shame they miscalculated the ratios. And honestly, its silly that ratios are not allowed to be changed.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

proteus wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 19:05
diffuser wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 17:25
mclaren111 wrote:
Autosport:

This gearbox issue was clear in Canada (i hope im not wrong about the circuit), where Alonso was in the slipstream of Leclerc with DRS active, catching him up, getting alongside but unable to overtake, jet the RPMs were maxed out the whole time. The main pain of Mclaren is its gearbox. Damn shame they miscalculated the ratios. And honestly, its silly that ratios are not allowed to be changed.

I couldn't even find out what the penalty was.