Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 04:58
Fulcrum wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 05:38
PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 01:53

His contract ran out.
He is a quick driver; a little quicker than Ocon so is a good choice.
On what basis would you consider Wehrlein faster than Ocon?
Seemed quicker when they were teammates.
Ocon had just stepped in for the 2nd half of the season to make his F1 debut, where as Pascal Wehrlein had the whole season. In the 9 races they had together Ocon finished ahead 6 times, Wehrlein 3. Pascal had the better of Ocon in qualy though.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Fulcrum wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 01:53

His contract ran out.
He is a quick driver; a little quicker than Ocon so is a good choice.
When have Wehrlein and Ocon ever been teammates? The only time they've ever been on track together was 2017, Ocon in Force India and Wehrlein in Sauber; and 1 Free Practice session in DTM, where Ocon was subbing for someone (according to Wikipedia).

Were they teammates in karting perhaps?

WaikeCU

Fulcrum wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 09:16
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Fulcrum wrote:

When have Wehrlein and Ocon ever been teammates? The only time they've ever been on track together was 2017, Ocon in Force India and Wehrlein in Sauber; and 1 Free Practice session in DTM, where Ocon was subbing for someone (according to Wikipedia).

Manor?

Jolle

WaikeCU wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:08
Fulcrum wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 09:16
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Manor?
It's a drivers development program, a few races they did together a few years ago have no meaning. It's how you work with the team, process data, improve yourself and the car, etc etc.

NathanOlder

@Fulcrum

They had half a season in the same team. IN F1

you even been watching F1 the last few years :lol: ?

Half a season :wtf:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

And after half a season where Ocon stepped in half way trough he got promoted to FI by Mercedes while Pascal was passed for the Rosberg seat and got an eleventh hour seat at Sauber. Clearly Mercedes saw more potential in Ocon then they saw in Wehrlein.

Kvyat is another good example. Good speed, had a good first season in the STR but failed to develop from that.

Phil

I do have to ask though; Is Ocon showing that much of potential?

In my opinion, he isn't beating Perez that comprehensively. Yes he may have the qualifying battle so far this year, but not by such a huge margin. I don't know. At this point, I'm just not convinced he is any better than what Bottas is already doing.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle

Phil wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 11:24
I do have to ask though; Is Ocon showing that much of potential?

In my opinion, he isn't beating Perez that comprehensively. Yes he may have the qualifying battle so far this year, but not by such a huge margin. I don't know. At this point, I'm just not convinced he is any better than what Bottas is already doing.
Probably not better then Bottas now, but at the moment Mercedes at least see for him still enough development to invest in him (and will out grow Bottas)

Perez is a serious quick racer and has the ability to be very efficient, that's why he's been on the podium with FI's and Saubers!
You've seen the same thing with VER and SAI, VER didn't "destroy" SAI at STR, but with less racing experience he inched away from him and now, after a few years he's even out developed RIC.

BOT had a good development curve at Williams but now it looks like, that he's out of that development program, his performance is leveling off, same for guys like VAN or KVY where drivers like HAM and VET keep on developing.

2019 will be a very important year for BOT and OCO, they will both be fighting for that Mercedes seat when most other work seats are already taken for 2020. If Ocon hasn't got a chance to show his development in 2019, BOT will have the upper hand for sure.

Manoah2u

To be honest, i don't give a rat's behind about Ocon.

He seems to be a pretty decent driver, i haven't seen consistant phenomenal marvels from the bloke, but the truth is simple,
even if he did stellar stuff, he's not the first, nor will be the last. I'll repeat my fondness of Kamui Kobayashi, a criminally underapreciated f1 pilot,
that had some serious speed, fire, and character. I'd take him over Ocon any day of the week, unfortunately though, he lacks commercialability,
and that ended his f1 career pretty fast.

there are some f1 drivers around that i'd be happy to see exit f1 immediately, but ocon isn't one of them though.
Hartley, Gasly, Ericsson, Sirotkin, probably Stroll aswell, i'd much prefer to wave goodbye. ah yes, that includes Grosjean too, Magnussen is on the cusp,
and VanDoorne has never impressed me before, nor now, and it's time he gets lost too.

Don't get me wrong though, i don't think guys like Russell, Norris, etc. etc. are all that promising either.
I do resent the possibility that Kvyat or perhaps even the disgrace called Esteban Guiterrez returns.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 16:20
To be honest, i don't give a rat's behind about Ocon.

He seems to be a pretty decent driver, i haven't seen consistant phenomenal marvels from the bloke, but the truth is simple,
even if he did stellar stuff, he's not the first, nor will be the last. I'll repeat my fondness of Kamui Kobayashi, a criminally underapreciated f1 pilot,
that had some serious speed, fire, and character. I'd take him over Ocon any day of the week, unfortunately though, he lacks commercialability,
and that ended his f1 career pretty fast.

there are some f1 drivers around that i'd be happy to see exit f1 immediately, but ocon isn't one of them though.
Hartley, Gasly, Ericsson, Sirotkin, probably Stroll aswell, i'd much prefer to wave goodbye. ah yes, that includes Grosjean too, Magnussen is on the cusp,
and VanDoorne has never impressed me before, nor now, and it's time he gets lost too.

Don't get me wrong though, i don't think guys like Russell, Norris, etc. etc. are all that promising either.
I do resent the possibility that Kvyat or perhaps even the disgrace called Esteban Guiterrez returns.
Add Bottas to that list while you are at it. That guy has a charisma of a potato.

Speaking of Vandoorne: If you drive a trash can, then your results will be trash as well. Why Alonso performs better, because he's a 2x World Champion and people like him need to be kept happy or else they will start bashing about it later on their lives. A 2x World Champion is far more credible than a nobody like Vandoorne who hasn't achieved an inch of what Fernando has done in his F1 career.

PlatinumZealot

Jolle wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 11:10
And after half a season where Ocon stepped in half way trough he got promoted to FI by Mercedes while Pascal was passed for the Rosberg seat and got an eleventh hour seat at Sauber. Clearly Mercedes saw more potential in Ocon then they saw in Wehrlein.

Kvyat is another good example. Good speed, had a good first season in the STR but failed to develop from that.
Not correct. Ocon's deal was supposed to be the smaller deal, but Pascal got caught out by the silly season (Bottas promotion to Mercedes squeezed out Pascal). Remember Wolff was Bottas's manager. Just admit that you don't like Pascal and get it off your chest. The guy is a decent driver worthy of a seat next year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 23:41
Jolle wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 11:10

Not correct. Ocon's deal was supposed to be the smaller deal, but Pascal got caught out by the silly season (Bottas promotion to Mercedes squeezed out Pascal). Remember Wolff was Bottas's manager. Just admit that you don't like Pascal and get it off your chest. The guy is a decent driver worthy of a seat next year.
Oh I have no opinion about Wehrlein, I don't know they guy, seems to be a decent bloke and I don't know what his development curve was. I only reflect what the Mercedes team is doing with their prospects.

I don't think he was really in place for the Rosberg seat, that coming free was also a surprise for Mercedes. He was more a backup for when they couldn't get Bottas (or another fast and experienced driver). I do believe he should be on the grid, he seems to be in the faster half of the drivers.

Somehow there are complaints how Mercedes is taking control of the grid, but if you look closely only the Ocon seat was "theirs" and now that is moving away from them..

Fulcrum

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:58
@Fulcrum

They had half a season in the same team. IN F1

you even been watching F1 the last few years :lol: ?

Half a season :wtf:
Whoops! Clearly the back of the grid does not hold my attention span.

Daliracing

Belgian media has stated that Vandoorne could join Ferrari as a development driver because Kvyat will go to STR and Giovinazzi would probably go to Sauber. Again its the belgian media so i suspect its pure speculations. But how do you guys think about this?

Jolle

Daliracing wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 20:23
Belgian media has stated that Vandoorne could join Ferrari as a development driver because Kvyat will go to STR and Giovinazzi would probably go to Sauber. Again its the belgian media so i suspect its pure speculations. But how do you guys think about this?
he fits the profile, so why not? lots of experience with sim work and a decent racing driver. Ferrari always have a few of them working the sim (Delarosa, Kvyat, Verge, etc etc)