2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I read this piece on Joe Sawards blog, someone I hold in high regard when it comes to opinion and F1. Take of it what you will, but I do think there are some very good points being raised.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00304

Joe Saward wrote:Sebastian Vettel, on the other hand, seems to be a little destablised by the political goings-on at Ferrari, where the sands have shifted significantly in recent months, opening the way for the arrival of Charles Leclerc, and the end of Vettel's comfortable world with Kimi Raikkonen as his wing man.

Raikkonen will growl at such a description, but it is hard to view it otherwise, as when he is on the pace, the team has played strategic games that have always aided Vettel, hardly surprising when one considers the results and the unhealthy atmosphere that seems to be a part of the Ferrari experience. The team seems to be one that is ruled by fear, its bizarre strategy towards the media having been devised to try to stop the paranoia getting out of control. But Ferrari has almost always been a team that has made its own life difficult with its fear of being judged not good enough for Italy.

Ironically, the most success in the modern era came when Maranello was run by foreigners, who ring-fenced the team and allowed it to operate in a more relaxed atmosphere - and it thrived. Jean Todt may have his faults, but he understood what was needed at Ferrari and he implemented a system that allowed the team to win and lose without fearing the headlines of Gazzetta dello Sport every day. It is this volatility that has been the Achilles Heel of the prancing horse down through the ages, but trying to pretend that the media is not there is not the answer and one can only hope that now that the menacing presence of the jovial but stiletto-yielding Sergio Marchionne has gone away that Maurizio Arrivabene will finally allow the team to breathe, without feeling the need to look over its shoulder. The media is not the enemy, the enemy is fear.

Over at Mercedes the culture is very different. They understand that mistakes get made and they embrace the mistakes and try to learn from them. The recent mea culpa of strategist James Vowles live on global TV was an indication of why Mercedes is a stronger team, because people can admit mistakes without fear of being drop-kicked out of the door...

In any case, all of this has created a fascinating situation and things will be even more interesting now that Raikkonen is no longer in a position where he must play the role of domestique to Vettel. Sebastian already knows that he must step up to the mark and must not make any more mistakes. The pressure is on. Pressure, of course, is what you make of it, but with Charles Leclerc moving into Ferrari next year, Vettel must know that he is now being hunted down by men 10 years his junior. When Fernando Alonso is gone and Raikkonen is shunted into the sidings at Sauber, Lewis Hamilton becomes the oldest man in a top car, with Vettel not far behind.
This isn't bashing or anything; I think Ferrari have done an absolute amazing job since 2014 and I think Vettel joining the team had much to do with that. However now that the Scuderia have a car that's on par with Mercedes, I do seem to think the pressure that is mounting on them, the expectations and how that trickles down on to the drivers is perhaps part of why they have been missing the beat lately.

There's also a quote by Arrivabene, i think on C4, when they asked him on the signing of Leclerc and how Vettel felt about it, and the answer was fairly blunt that Vettel is just an employee or something to that effect.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

WaikeCU wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 10:31
You need to be absolutely on top of your game and sadly, that's not the case at Ferrari atm. Driver errors, strategy errors costing them dearly. There's still a chance, but the window of opportunities is slowly disappearing for 2018.
Ferrari needs now two factors to convergue. A DNF from Lewis and to bring back the pace and superiority they have in Spa, for example. I guess its difficult but it can happen though I am quite hopeless right now.

mika vs michael

Ferrari needs a guy like Ross Brawn in charge...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

tpe
tpe

Ferrari needs to improve procedures during the race and it's strategy approach.

Big Mangalhit

mika vs michael wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 23:33
Ferrari needs a guy like Ross Brawn in charge...
Ferrari needs to continue the great work they are doing. It's the team that most improved since 2014. It's just not easy to beat the brilliant work of Mercedes. It can only be one winner

marvin78

That's right. I still sink, that Mercedes is in a class of it's own. The car is just brilliant and they have great staff and drivers. Ferrari improved massively in many categories but there are a few
things where Mercedes is just better and more experienced. Ferrari does a great job but Mercedes does some things better. There is no shame in loosing against this great car.

GrandAxe

Phil wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 14:46
I read this piece on Joe Sawards blog, someone I hold in high regard when it comes to opinion and F1. Take of it what you will, but I do think there are some very good points being raised.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00304

Joe Saward wrote:Sebastian Vettel, on the other hand, seems to be a little destablised by the political goings-on at Ferrari, where the sands have shifted significantly in recent months, opening the way for the arrival of Charles Leclerc, and the end of Vettel's comfortable world with Kimi Raikkonen as his wing man.

Raikkonen will growl at such a description, but it is hard to view it otherwise, as when he is on the pace, the team has played strategic games that have always aided Vettel, hardly surprising when one considers the results and the unhealthy atmosphere that seems to be a part of the Ferrari experience. The team seems to be one that is ruled by fear, its bizarre strategy towards the media having been devised to try to stop the paranoia getting out of control. But Ferrari has almost always been a team that has made its own life difficult with its fear of being judged not good enough for Italy.

Ironically, the most success in the modern era came when Maranello was run by foreigners, who ring-fenced the team and allowed it to operate in a more relaxed atmosphere - and it thrived. Jean Todt may have his faults, but he understood what was needed at Ferrari and he implemented a system that allowed the team to win and lose without fearing the headlines of Gazzetta dello Sport every day. It is this volatility that has been the Achilles Heel of the prancing horse down through the ages, but trying to pretend that the media is not there is not the answer and one can only hope that now that the menacing presence of the jovial but stiletto-yielding Sergio Marchionne has gone away that Maurizio Arrivabene will finally allow the team to breathe, without feeling the need to look over its shoulder. The media is not the enemy, the enemy is fear.

Over at Mercedes the culture is very different. They understand that mistakes get made and they embrace the mistakes and try to learn from them. The recent mea culpa of strategist James Vowles live on global TV was an indication of why Mercedes is a stronger team, because people can admit mistakes without fear of being drop-kicked out of the door...

In any case, all of this has created a fascinating situation and things will be even more interesting now that Raikkonen is no longer in a position where he must play the role of domestique to Vettel. Sebastian already knows that he must step up to the mark and must not make any more mistakes. The pressure is on. Pressure, of course, is what you make of it, but with Charles Leclerc moving into Ferrari next year, Vettel must know that he is now being hunted down by men 10 years his junior. When Fernando Alonso is gone and Raikkonen is shunted into the sidings at Sauber, Lewis Hamilton becomes the oldest man in a top car, with Vettel not far behind.
This isn't bashing or anything; I think Ferrari have done an absolute amazing job since 2014 and I think Vettel joining the team had much to do with that. However now that the Scuderia have a car that's on par with Mercedes, I do seem to think the pressure that is mounting on them, the expectations and how that trickles down on to the drivers is perhaps part of why they have been missing the beat lately.

There's also a quote by Arrivabene, i think on C4, when they asked him on the signing of Leclerc and how Vettel felt about it, and the answer was fairly blunt that Vettel is just an employee or something to that effect.
Indeed Ferrari does seem to be overly macho (rivalled only by Red Bull) . There was even a time after an unsuccessful season some years back when Luca Montezemolo actually sent every member of the team a gift dagger to symbolise their approach for the next season. It's easy to imagine a pressure cooker environment, with blood pressures bursting all scales.

Perhaps such an outlook is a failing, but it is also a style that served the team brilliantly in the Schumacher years.

dans79

GrandAxe wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 11:47
Perhaps such an outlook is a failing, but it is also a style that served the team brilliantly in the Schumacher years.
In the Schumacher era you had unlimited testing, so engineering and design mistakes could quickly be discovered and corrected before they ever saw the light of day. That is not the case today.

I do agree that Ferraris biggest issue is that they rule by fear, and that's definitely not a good way to run something as complex and intricate as a Formula 1 team.
197 104 103 7

ringo

They should be back on the right path once they realize they don't have to be extreme with strategy to win. They don't seem trusting of themselves or that their car is quick enough to win. All of their strategic blunders were made with moves of desperation. The pit strategy, the qualifying strategy, the choice of tyres. They keep on taking huge risks when they don't need to. They should simply do the safe and more moderate choices and the wins will come to them.
It's frustrating seeing them go on the wrong tyre, pit too earl, or too late, or do a knee jerk because of mercedes, or the drivers lunging after each other in the first, when they don't have to do these things to win.
It may sound strange, but its as if they arent experienced enough at fighting for championships at the front. Redbulls seems better at taking risks and decision making over a whole season.
For Sure!!

Ringleheim

Vasconia wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 09:44
WaikeCU wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 10:31
You need to be absolutely on top of your game and sadly, that's not the case at Ferrari atm. Driver errors, strategy errors costing them dearly. There's still a chance, but the window of opportunities is slowly disappearing for 2018.
Ferrari needs now two factors to convergue. A DNF from Lewis and to bring back the pace and superiority they have in Spa, for example. I guess its difficult but it can happen though I am quite hopeless right now.
They should be fantastic at Suzuka, or any old school real track of that type.

Hamilton has enjoyed a lot of good luck the last couple seasons. His turn is due.

I agree though; Vettel needs to get 25 points for a win with Hamilton getting zero, and even then, it's an up-hill battle for Ferrari.

Vettel has already made too many mistakes to overcome. He may have gotten away with 1 of them, but not all of them.

GPR-A duplicate2

Ringleheim wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 07:42
Hamilton has enjoyed a lot of good luck the last couple seasons. His turn is due.
Hamilton already endured a gear box change penalty in Bahrain and a mechanical DNF in Austria! It's Vettel who hasn't had any kind of Mechanical failures or penalties, other than self inflicted errors and loss of points thereby.

max_speed

i have been long ferrari fan . in past years i complained about not having right car to win championship but this year i am gutted. Ferrari Technical team produced a gem of a car and are let down by drivers. such car should have been leading both championships. mega let down by vettel. he is not able to get the job done. Raikkonen has been average for years. i feel sorry that ferrari did not have driver likes of Alonso/Hamilton. i am sure lecrec will pose a serious challenge to vettel next year.

Jolle

max_speed wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 14:51
i have been long ferrari fan . in past years i complained about not having right car to win championship but this year i am gutted. Ferrari Technical team produced a gem of a car and are let down by drivers. such car should have been leading both championships. mega let down by vettel. he is not able to get the job done. Raikkonen has been average for years. i feel sorry that ferrari did not have driver likes of Alonso/Hamilton. i am sure lecrec will pose a serious challenge to vettel next year.
Ferrari had their rear crash box structure handed to them with a difference of .6 seconds on a track where it's all car instead of tires. But yes, crashing out from the lead is not something you should do as a team leader.

I think for next year, the choice for Leclerc is going to cost them some points and in current form Hamilton will make it 6, coming very close to Schumachers records.

mika vs michael

Ferrari produced a winning car...a championship winning car but championships are not won in the factories. You need a strong team on the track. The team lacks leadership...in a sporting way not technical.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

MtthsMlw