General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
HPD
224
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by HPD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:50 pm

restless wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:49 pm
based on the chart...
Only RB, TR, Alonso , Ericsson and Hulkenberg can hope to end the season without further penalties?
I think so, that goes to show that the rule of 3 engines per season is ridiculous.

Wouter
36
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by Wouter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:29 pm

HPD wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:46 pm
Wouter wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:20 pm
Thanks @HPD! May I ask you on which site you found that chart ?
I asume it will be updated after every race?
Yes, you can find more information here: Soymotor

https://soymotor.com/sites/default/file ... apidos.png
Thank you very much HPD! Great!

etusch
26
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by etusch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Es gab aber noch Probleme mit Schwingungen im Getriebe. Deshalb wurde die neue Spezifikation nach dem Freitagstraining in Russland ausgebaut. „Das haben wir über das Mapping gelöst“, berichtete Marko. In Suzuka blieb der neue V6 im Auto. Brendon Hartley und Pierre Gasly qualifizierten sich beide für Q3. Nur im Rennen muss Honda noch Leistung zurückfahren.

Es heißt, Hondas Defizit zu Ferrari und Mercedes betrage noch etwa 50 PS. Und es heißt, Honda habe Renault bereits überholt. Geht man davon aus, dass sowohl Mercedes als auch Ferrari im Winter weiter zulegen, wird Hondas angestrebter Schritt nicht reichen, um gleichzuziehen. „Ein geringer Rückstand wäre nicht so tragisch. Das können wir über unser Chassis ausgleichen“, heißt es bei Red Bull wie immer selbstbewusst.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... gner-2019/

dren
226
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by dren » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Red Bull should be looking good next year with the Honda PU.
Honda!

Bill
3
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by Bill » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 am

50hp is a lot amus are lying before spa Honda was about 30hp behind merc ,they both brought updates Honda about 40kw . The fact of the matter is Honda has a power unit as good as the top two , with Ferrari having lost their battery tricks who knows

godlameroso
259
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by godlameroso » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:26 pm

It's not at the level of Mercedes yet. By next year they'll be the closest they've ever been in this turbo hybrid era. Red Bull will be in the mix to win races in the second half of next year. Until then they'll pretty much hold course, maybe close the gap by a few tenths, so that the top two are still just out of reach.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Sieper
33
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by Sieper » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Fullly agree. This is also what Max Verstappen has stated on a number of occasions, that he hopes that by second half next season he can battle (not saying on fully equal terms or so, just battle with them) with the top two and usually his estimates are reliable, eg, not over enthusiastic nor downplaying.

Then again, this is long(ish) term, If Merc (and Fer) make just such a big step as Honda is now seemingly making then they won't come closer at all, like over the last years with Renault. But I do believe in the Honda project.

Wouter
36
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by Wouter » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Sieper wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 pm
Fullly agree. This is also what Max Verstappen has stated on a number of occasions, that he hopes that by second half next season he can battle (not saying on fully equal terms or so, just battle with them) with the top two and usually his estimates are reliable, eg, not over enthusiastic nor downplaying.

Then again, this is long(ish) term, If Merc (and Fer) make just such a big step as Honda is now seemingly making then they won't come closer at all, like over the last years with Renault. But I do believe in the Honda project.
I do not think that Mercedes and Ferrari will make such a big improvement in the winter break as Honda.
Honda is really busy with catching up. Merc and Fer continue steadily.

godlameroso
259
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by godlameroso » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51 pm

I would say 1,000hp is still the holy grail and that these power units aren't quite there just yet, at least not on track. I wonder how much improvement just comes from broadening the power band, improving midrange and low rpm power as well as part throttle response.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

dren
226
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by dren » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:26 pm
It's not at the level of Mercedes yet. By next year they'll be the closest they've ever been in this turbo hybrid era. Red Bull will be in the mix to win races in the second half of next year. Until then they'll pretty much hold course, maybe close the gap by a few tenths, so that the top two are still just out of reach.
I actually think Honda will be in the mix at the start of the year. I think it'll be down to who nails the aero changes between the top three teams.
Honda!

godlameroso
259
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by godlameroso » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:53 pm

dren wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:26 pm
It's not at the level of Mercedes yet. By next year they'll be the closest they've ever been in this turbo hybrid era. Red Bull will be in the mix to win races in the second half of next year. Until then they'll pretty much hold course, maybe close the gap by a few tenths, so that the top two are still just out of reach.
I actually think Honda will be in the mix at the start of the year. I think it'll be down to who nails the aero changes between the top three teams.
As far as aero, I'm not sold on it being a huge change. Cars will have more drag, and more rear biased downforce, but the overall concept isn't changing drastically. The mid wing/bargeboards is still there, and although the leading edge of the bargeboards is shorter, the rest of it will be more complex than ever.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

ispano6
27
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by ispano6 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 am

godlameroso wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:53 pm
dren wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:26 pm
It's not at the level of Mercedes yet. By next year they'll be the closest they've ever been in this turbo hybrid era. Red Bull will be in the mix to win races in the second half of next year. Until then they'll pretty much hold course, maybe close the gap by a few tenths, so that the top two are still just out of reach.
I actually think Honda will be in the mix at the start of the year. I think it'll be down to who nails the aero changes between the top three teams.
As far as aero, I'm not sold on it being a huge change. Cars will have more drag, and more rear biased downforce, but the overall concept isn't changing drastically. The mid wing/bargeboards is still there, and although the leading edge of the bargeboards is shorter, the rest of it will be more complex than ever.
Isn't it more so that chasing cars don't suffer from as much dirty air or wash out from being too close? To improve the "racing"... I think the drivers said it best that since the cars and tires are now wider there is less room to overtake thus less racing. Many of the corners are now consider flat out straights, and battles in the corners lead to better racing.

godlameroso
259
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by godlameroso » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 am

They say that the goal is to have closer racing, I don't think it will achieve what they intend, other than slip streaming will be more powerful.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

PlatinumZealot
328
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by PlatinumZealot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:29 am

Honda will be back to winning again. In the best chassis. Imagine that.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

JordanMugen
1
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post by JordanMugen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:20 am

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:29 am
Honda will be back to winning again. In the best chassis. Imagine that.
Even though the power unit is not the best, it is close enough and the Red Bull chassis will likely be so good, that Red Bull - Hondas will most likely run consistently in the top 6 cars in the field which is a far cry from where Honda would be otherwise. Lucky that it worked out for the best by splitting from McLaren! :)