Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bosyber

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

f1316 wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 09:35
bosyber wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 12:27
AMuS: Ferrari FIA sensor and power advantage (in German, here a translated quote):
The competition's GPS data shows it clearly: Ferrari's advantage on the straight has disappeared since two races. Did Mercedes catch up or did Ferrari have to turn down Power? And what role does a new FIA sensor on the Ferrari play?
So maybe they did indeed lose some power to Mercedes, which would explain some of why they are struggling, relatively speaking.

Still, I also agree the car doesn't seem to have that broad setup window now (and the big rear wing might be indicative of problems getting the balance, and tyre heating, right).
Again, as has been said here all season, I think they’re completely missing the point about where the speed comes from. It isn’t purely engine - it’s traction + drag.

Mercedes have made a massive leap on traction in the past 2-3 races ...
The Ferrari engine is strong but I highly doubt it was ever more powerful than the Mercedes ... Mercedes have likely caught up enough for it to swing the other way.
So, I agree with much of that, but you forget that Ferrari also lost relative to Red Bull, certainly on Saturday. Sure, the c-spec Renault, but on the whole I do think Ferrari actually lost something. Maybe set up, but could also be top PU power.

Edit:
Having said that, after reading Mark Hughes Japan race report (and his previously unnoticed October 5th article: October 5th article MPH: Ferraris engine mystery), I will concede that it could be a combo of set up, rear suspension and aero, tuning down the engine for reliability, and operator errors that made Ferrari effectively less competitive in the last races, rather than an (apparently non-existent) extra sensor that blocked them from using a special trick.
Last edited by bosyber on 08 Oct 2018, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

Jokeri

Could someone post the gps picture? I've seen it here somewhere but I cannot find it anymore.

M840TR

bosyber wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 10:59
f1316 wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 09:35
bosyber wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 12:27
AMuS: Ferrari FIA sensor and power advantage (in German, here a translated quote):
So maybe they did indeed lose some power to Mercedes, which would explain some of why they are struggling, relatively speaking.

Still, I also agree the car doesn't seem to have that broad setup window now (and the big rear wing might be indicative of problems getting the balance, and tyre heating, right).
Again, as has been said here all season, I think they’re completely missing the point about where the speed comes from. It isn’t purely engine - it’s traction + drag.

Mercedes have made a massive leap on traction in the past 2-3 races ...
The Ferrari engine is strong but I highly doubt it was ever more powerful than the Mercedes ... Mercedes have likely caught up enough for it to swing the other way.
So, I agree with much of that, but you forget that Ferrari also lost relative to Red Bull, certainly on Saturday. Sure, the c-spec Renault, but on the whole I do think Ferrari actually lost something. Maybe set up, but could also be top PU power.

Edit:
Having said that, after reading Mark Hughes Japan race report (and his previously unnoticed October 5th article: October 5th article MPH: Ferraris engine mystery), I will concede that it could be a combo of set up, rear suspension and aero, tuning down the engine for reliability, and operator errors that made Ferrari effectively less competitive in the last races, rather than an (apparently non-existent) extra sensor that blocked them from using a special trick.
I think Binotto mentioned in the team principle's press conference as well that reliability will be the focus for the last few races. It makes much more sense than the stuff being circulated by 'tech journos', to be honest. Like Renault in 05. Build a comfortable lead in the championship then turn everything down to safely defend it. If not for so many on-track errors it would've been brilliant.

Sevach

MtthsMlw

Nice.
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 18 Oct 2018, 20:50, edited 2 times in total.

PhillipM

Oh oh, we'll have all the people that hate the ones on Mclaren's sidepods coming over shortly to say they're silly and far too draggy :lol:

Very interesting though, have they been having issues with floor sealing and that's why Merc has picked up some corner exit traction against them perhaps?

Morteza

There's also this wing added to the brake ducts
Via AMuS and @AlbertFabrega
Last edited by Morteza on 18 Oct 2018, 22:30, edited 6 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 20:32
Oh oh, we'll have all the people that hate the ones on Mclaren's sidepods coming over shortly to say they're silly and far too draggy :lol:

Very interesting though, have they been having issues with floor sealing and that's why Merc has picked up some corner exit traction against them perhaps?
I doubt it. Just adding on to what they already had. Merc is doing better because they can use the rear wheels harder. If you read reports on the past few practice sessions they say Ferrari has high tyre deg, which suddenly disappears come Saturday. I think they're trying to run the rear suspension harder like Merc and hoping to compensate for the tyre deg by better managed temps, which is why they copied the ribbed wheels; obviously with success.

ScrewCaptain27

Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

djos

They look like anti-Verstappen devices! :mrgreen:
"In downforce we trust"

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

M840TR

Love photos from this angle. You can almost see the air travel.

PlatinumZealot

rumours zre the singapore upgarde hurt the qualifying pace. Somwthing to do with rear balance that the drivers could not drive. This looks to fox that issue.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djones

I can't help but think this is too little too late.

Nice looking updates though and hopefully these have some sort of translation in to the 2019 car otherwise the development was wasted time.

F1NAC

Nice looking updates but forecast is rain so I doubt they will have some valuable data