Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
santos

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

siskue2005 wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 15:52
santos wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 15:00
mixmentzos wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 21:05

The investigation has concluded that Mercedes' design has different intentions to the 2012 Red Bull system
What were the intentions of Red Bull and Mercedes? I read this article but i would like to be clarified.
In short Redbull used it as a aero device and Merc is not using it as a aero device.
Well, thanks for answering... but i stay the same. What are the differences for being ilegal and the other being legal?

siskue2005

santos wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 16:17
siskue2005 wrote:
santos wrote:

What were the intentions of Red Bull and Mercedes? I read this article but i would like to be clarified.
In short Redbull used it as a aero device and Merc is not using it as a aero device.
Well, thanks for answering... but i stay the same. What are the differences for being ilegal and the other being legal?
they used the blown front wheel hub, which channeled air from brake ducts to wheel nut and out, which helped in the outwash of the car and hence the aero benefit.
whereas merc rear wheel rim has channels which speed up the air through their heat sink, but doesnot influence the aero of the car.

dans79

santos wrote:
[/quote]
[/quote]

RBR was doing it for an aerodynamic advantage (against the rules), Mercedes is doing it for a thermal one (not against the rules).

read this.
https://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/06/ ... ification/
197 104 103 7

aral

Frankly ridiculous! So you are saying that if RBR said it was for thermal reasons, then they would be ok to use them again? If other cars do not need them for thermal reasons, then there certainly would be no need for Merc to use them.

Dazed1

aral wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 17:27
Frankly ridiculous! So you are saying that if RBR said it was for thermal reasons, then they would be ok to use them again? If other cars do not need them for thermal reasons, then there certainly would be no need for Merc to use them.
Apples and not apples.

http://f1i.com/magazine/2717-blown-whee ... e-gap.html

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/tech ... -axle.html

santos

dans79 wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 16:33
santos wrote:
[/quote]

RBR was doing it for an aerodynamic advantage (against the rules), Mercedes is doing it for a thermal one (not against the rules).

read this.
https://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/06/ ... ification/
[/quote]

So, Red Bull were blowing air thru the axle into the wheel. Isn't that what Mercedes is doing? Or the holes are just there and no air is coming thru them? It would be nice that when FIA clarify a certain rule, would explain to the fans. Because it's really hard to understand the difference between the both systems

subcritical71

I think it has to do with the main purpose of holes. In RB case the holes were there to create outwash, I think that we can all agree on that. In the Mercs case the holes primary function is to blow air on the rim to cool the rim. It also creates outwash, but that is not its purpose.

RZS10

aral wrote:
Seriously? ... I doubt the inquiry was:

"Hey are the holes for aero purposes" - "No" - "OK, case closed"

It had to be more substantial than that, the reported comment by the FIA that the solution is "interesting" indicated that they had Mercedes explain what it does in more detail than just "it doesn't help aero if that's what you're after" and they came to the conclusion that the aerodynamic effect was negligible compared to the actual purpose - plus we're talking front and rear axle anyways

Just_a_fan

aral wrote:
You do realise we're talking the rear axle on the Mercedes and the front axle on the RedBull, yes? You do realise that the front axle blowing was solely to affect the front tyre wake, yes? You do realise that the Mercedes solution is solely for temperature control - you know, the thing that moving air through the wheel, via brake ducts, is actually allowed for in the regulations.

No doubt, had this been Ferrari you'd be saying "frankly ridiculous that anyone doubted them!"... #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

RZS10 wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 18:35
aral wrote:
Seriously? ... I doubt the inquiry was:
Ferrari fan, that's the problem. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GPR-A

These matters are not like the stewards' racing incident decisions. Off the track, any complaint would be taken up and appropriately investigated, to then let the complainants know that they have conducted a thorough investigation according to their stipulated protocols and based on the outcome, the decision is to let the team that has implemented a certain solution to continue or not, based on the legality. At no point would FIA can make the details of the investigation public as it involves having to look through intricate details of the car, which is proprietary to a team.

The approach was in fact, exactly same in the case of battery trick (as is popularly known) that Ferrari had implemented. FIA said, it's "Interesting" and legal and the other constructors moved on.

Morteza

The winglets on the halo are back

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

santos wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
santos wrote:

The Red Bull holes are on the wheel hub on the base of the spindle. Air travels through from inside the spindle out and shoots through the wheels rim. This set up is on the front wheel and when the wheels steer affects the downstream aero votrices.

The Mercedes holes are only on the back side of the wheel rim. The air travels from the cake tin - into a cavity between it and the wheel face then through the holes in the rim.
The Mercedes one slams the air into the backside of the spokes which thrashes the air around ...not veryThis aerodynamic is it? It not used for aerodynamics but for temperature management of the wheel. I belive it is heating than cooling.
Also this is on the rear wheel doesn't move under any controlled manner.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mcdenife

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 10:50
santos wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

The Red Bull holes are on the wheel hub on the base of the spindle. Air travels through from inside the spindle out and shoots through the wheels rim. This set up is on the front wheel and when the wheels steer affects the downstream aero votrices.

The Mercedes holes are only on the back side of the wheel rim. The air travels from the cake tin - into a cavity between it and the wheel face then through the holes in the rim.
The Mercedes one slams the air into the backside of the spokes which thrashes the air around ...not veryThis aerodynamic is it? It not used for aerodynamics but for temperature management of the wheel. I belive it is heating than cooling.
Also this is on the rear wheel doesn't move under any controlled manner.
Do you not find it interesting that it is Ferrari requesting clarification on this rather than Red Bull?
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.