McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
cramr
6
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:51 am

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by cramr » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:39 am

Jackles-UK wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:58 am
M840TR wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:20 am
ADC wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 pm
On the subject of steering wheels, how different are Alonso and Vandoorne's wheels? Generally drivers have very different wheels right? So when Lando Norris is constantly alternating between cars at each race's FPs, does he have his own wheel crafted to his preferences, or does he have to learn how to use both Stoff and Nando's wheels?
Mostly the same.

https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -wheel.jpg
Does anybody know if the steering wheels are ergonomically fitted for each individual driver? For example, will the switches/dials be placed at slightly different positions for drivers with longer fingers/thumbs or bigger hands?

The rubber grips at either side could easily be custom moulded too for maximum efficiency and minimum fatigue which, given the amount that modern drivers need to use their hands & fingers in the car, would only be an advantage surely?
I don't think so. I think the buttons can be set up electronically to do different things but the layout is the same I would say.
Yes, the rubber and the diameter of the wheel is custom for each driver (like the seat and so on)

diffuser
118
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by diffuser » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:52 pm

JordanMugen wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 pm
diffuser wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:12 pm
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is actually excellent aero wise ...except that it was designed for a Honda PU that has the turbo on top.
If what you say is true, they have now had over half a season to redesign their radiators and plumbing and thereby be able to craft a new engine cover optimized for the Renault. The layout of the radiators are not homologated or crash tested parts, these can all be easily and cheaply changed. If simple Renault optimisation would supposedly allow them to extract the full potential of of their "excellent aero", why have they not done so?
diffuser wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:12 pm
I think they have completely redesigned it for 2019, it just has a add on effect on sidepods and the rest of the car that they need to redesign the whole car to make it work.
Interestingly, in 2017 Boullier noted that the Renault provided aerodynamic advantages over the Honda and that McLaren had the Renault data with plenty of time for designing MCL33. This suggests the Renault power unit improved rather than reduced the aerodynamic performance of the MCL33?

Eric Boullier says:
The radiators required by the Renault unit are smaller than those of Honda, making our aerodynamic set easier. "

"The day we announced the partnership with Renault, the technical data of the unit was already with us. It was in the time limit to be able to design the 2018 model in studies, even without knowing the engine, since June. "
https://globoesporte.globo.com/motor/fo ... aign=ge_f1
via viewtopic.php?p=729442#p729442


Cheif designer Tim Goss, similarly noted that the team had a done a fantastic job of integrating the Renault power unit, and that the Renault layout had considerable design advantages that more than balanced any disadvantages.

"You can push the engine forwards and the aerodynamic blockage of the engine and exhaust is considerably better, because that has moved forwards behind the chassis.

"But then you have a turbocharger that is sat in the bellhousing and to accommodate that you have to redesign your rear suspension internals and lengthen the gearbox.

"But we've done a fantastic job. A really fantastic job.
Tim Goss, McLaren MCL33 designer, Autosport
diffuser wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:12 pm
IMO those adjectives were all lies. You do know Tim Goss was fired right? Everything else was just the minimum to connect everything to get it to work. The proof is that the space in MCL33 that was vacated by the Honda PU turbo/compressor/inter-cooler, etc... sits empty. They also never even looked at the gear ratio

Mansell89
9
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by Mansell89 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:34 pm

Tim Goss headed up the 2018 car design right?

Did I read once that they used to rotate who was design lead on their cars between Goss and someone else? (IIRC some point between the 2007 and 2013 years) and that Goss designed a couple of the dud ones?

Maybe it’s just me clutching at straws but I’m sure I read it or saw an interview.

mclarenmatt
0
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by mclarenmatt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Mansell89 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:34 pm
Tim Goss headed up the 2018 car design right?

Did I read once that they used to rotate who was design lead on their cars between Goss and someone else? (IIRC some point between the 2007 and 2013 years) and that Goss designed a couple of the dud ones?

Maybe it’s just me clutching at straws but I’m sure I read it or saw an interview.
Think it was between Tim Goss and Paddy Lowe?

M840TR
136
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 am

Pat fry. Lowe was tech director.

M840TR
136
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:25 am

Image

via f1i

M840TR
136
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:19 pm

A look at the side ducts on the nose. It opens underneath the cape to energize the vortex.

Image

Image

Via Albert Fabrega.

Jackles-UK
16
User avatar
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:02 am

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by Jackles-UK » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:14 am

M840TR wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:19 pm
A look at the side ducts on the nose. It opens underneath the cape to energize the vortex.

https://i.imgur.com/q64BcgJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bvZ7i7b.jpg

Via Albert Fabrega.
Great photo. Seems like the rearward facing nose vent could be feeding air to the forward facing slot/vent above the turning vanes under the chassis?

M840TR
136
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:02 am

Jackles-UK wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:14 am
M840TR wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:19 pm
A look at the side ducts on the nose. It opens underneath the cape to energize the vortex.

https://i.imgur.com/q64BcgJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bvZ7i7b.jpg

Via Albert Fabrega.
Great photo. Seems like the rearward facing nose vent could be feeding air to the forward facing slot/vent above the turning vanes under the chassis?
These are to create low pressure air under the cape to energize the vortex. The duct you're referring to is likely for battery and other ancillary cooling.

M840TR
136
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 am

Image

Image

M840TR
136
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Image

Image

AMuS

M840TR
136
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 pm

With all the talk about revised cooling design for the Mcl34, this duct behind the turning vanes is another one we can expect to be moved atop the engine cover with the main intake. In my opinion, another blunder by the designers that significantly handicaps the aero performance of the car by blocking air to the diffuser.

Image

Image

Image

mclaren111
106
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Hell Hole - South Africa

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by mclaren111 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:02 am

M840TR wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 pm
With all the talk about revised cooling design for the Mcl34, this duct behind the turning vanes is another one we can expect to be moved atop the engine cover with the main intake. In my opinion, another blunder by the designers that significantly handicaps the aero performance of the car by blocking air to the diffuser.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dc1ZKOsXkAEWhh7.jpg

https://i.redd.it/0nbk10n8r0x01.jpg

https://www.motorlat.com/filemanager/so ... 7732_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was on the MCL32 and used for the S-Duct...

M840TR
136
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm

mclaren111 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:02 am
M840TR wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 pm
With all the talk about revised cooling design for the Mcl34, this duct behind the turning vanes is another one we can expect to be moved atop the engine cover with the main intake. In my opinion, another blunder by the designers that significantly handicaps the aero performance of the car by blocking air to the diffuser.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dc1ZKOsXkAEWhh7.jpg

https://i.redd.it/0nbk10n8r0x01.jpg

https://www.motorlat.com/filemanager/so ... 7732_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was on the MCL32 and used for the S-Duct...
Here's the s-duct inlet on the Mcl32. It's underneath the nose, not the monocoque. The Mcl33 does not have an s-duct. This one is for ancillary cooling.

Image

wesley123
206
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by wesley123 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:55 pm

M840TR wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:02 am
M840TR wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 pm
With all the talk about revised cooling design for the Mcl34, this duct behind the turning vanes is another one we can expect to be moved atop the engine cover with the main intake. In my opinion, another blunder by the designers that significantly handicaps the aero performance of the car by blocking air to the diffuser.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dc1ZKOsXkAEWhh7.jpg

https://i.redd.it/0nbk10n8r0x01.jpg

https://www.motorlat.com/filemanager/so ... 7732_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was on the MCL32 and used for the S-Duct...
Here's the s-duct inlet on the Mcl32. It's underneath the nose, not the monocoque. The Mcl33 does not have an s-duct. This one is for ancillary cooling.

http://www.mostreliablecarbrands.com/wp ... voking.jpg
Why would they want to place cooling slots there? Their size and position makes no sense. It's size is so small, that it would bring no problem to just use the sidepod.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender