2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jackles-UK

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Sergio Sette-Camara signed as test/reserve/development driver for 2019. They must be impressed by his form vs Norris in the same equipment this year.

If this is a fully-fledged reserve driver role I’d be disappointed if I were Nyck de Vries this morning ...

Lucky

Jackles-UK wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 13:44
Sergio Sette-Camara signed as test/reserve/development driver for 2019. They must be impressed by his form vs Norris in the same equipment this year.

If this is a fully-fledged reserve driver role I’d be disappointed if I were Nyck de Vries this morning ...
he does not have super licesens to become a reserve pilot

M840TR

Jackles-UK wrote:

Not reserve, only test and development.

RonDennis

Jackles-UK wrote:

They must be impressed with the money Petrobras is paying.

M840TR

RonDennis wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 15:10
Jackles-UK wrote:

http://www.thepaddockmagazine.com/wp-co ... s-logo.jpg
Sergio's hiring probably won't have any effect on the deal with PB. Although I wonder if they'll become a bigger sponsor when they're a full fledged supplier next year.

RonDennis

M840TR wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 15:30
RonDennis wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 15:10
Jackles-UK wrote:

http://www.thepaddockmagazine.com/wp-co ... s-logo.jpg
Sergio's hiring probably won't have any effect on the deal with PB. Although I wonder if they'll become a bigger sponsor when they're a full fledged supplier next year.
He was probably already part of the deal.

mclaren111

M840TR

Alonso had a monstrous launch in the Mexican gp. Amazing reflexes.

@4:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-aScIDPMlY

M840TR

Alonso: "The chassis of last year was better than this year. Here we classified P7. We've identified the problems. Since July we are already testing parts for 2019. It'll be better. There is confidence "

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 0366812161

Dipesh1995

M840TR wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 16:32
Alonso: "The chassis of last year was better than this year. Here we classified P7. We've identified the problems. Since July we are already testing parts for 2019. It'll be better. There is confidence "

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 0366812161
"The chassis of last year was better than this year."

Not really surprising he's said that, it pretty much a given looking at the lap times.

proteus

And jet the chasis of this year managed more than twice as much points than the previous one :lol:
Point of the matter is that this year they made it wrong and the car failed, but the platform is stable enough to gain positions during the race. Tyre managment is very good as far as i see it.

They managed much better qualifying performances in 2017, but at the other hand they were losing those positions at practically every race due to the fuel saving. Not to mention, the car was able even to break down before the start.

This year, they were lucky with some of their rivals infront getting retirements but this is how this sport works, u dont stop because someone infront of u stopped. U take what u can. In Mexico, after quite some time, Vandoorne as well finally prooved that overtaking is possible with this car, especially against better powered Haas and Williams cars which are fast on the straights.

Honda has better packaging than Renault, which also explains why STR was so much more confortable with marrying their chasis with the engine. For long we were all talking and listening about how the next year its going to be better and so on, but now the 2019 is the crunch time for Mclaren. The car will be fully developed for the Renault engine and we shall see if they can walk the walk, or just talk the talk.

I believe they will lose the 6th in the standings against Racing point by the end of this season, and i say 5th should be their objective for next season. They need to learn how to walk again, before running.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

M840TR

proteus wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 19:33
And jet the chasis of this year managed more than twice as much points than the previous one :lol:
Point of the matter is that this year they made it wrong and the car failed, but the platform is stable enough to gain positions during the race. Tyre managment is very good as far as i see it.

They managed much better qualifying performances in 2017, but at the other hand they were losing those positions at practically every race due to the fuel saving. Not to mention, the car was able even to break down before the start.

This year, they were lucky with some of their rivals infront getting retirements but this is how this sport works, u dont stop because someone infront of u stopped. U take what u can. In Mexico, after quite some time, Vandoorne as well finally prooved that overtaking is possible with this car, especially against better powered Haas and Williams cars which are fast on the straights.

Honda has better packaging than Renault, which also explains why STR was so much more confortable with marrying their chasis with the engine. For long we were all talking and listening about how the next year its going to be better and so on, but now the 2019 is the crunch time for Mclaren. The car will be fully developed for the Renault engine and we shall see if they can walk the walk, or just talk the talk.

I believe they will lose the 6th in the standings against Racing point by the end of this season, and i say 5th should be their objective for next season. They need to learn how to walk again, before running.
Reliability wasn't exactly the strong suit of that car. It had decent pace for the midfield. Alonso retired from the points several times like in Canada, China etc.
Both have pros and cons. Renault has the turbo compressor in the back and the Honda needs a lot of cooling. STR just went by what Honda said so it might seem that way but it's the least aero efficient packaging on the grid. A top team won't extend this courtesy, and that's one reason it was less reliable in the Mcl32.

M840TR

Asked to specify which areas McLaren lost performance in, Alonso replied: “Well, it’s a private thing in the team but definitely we took some directions in this project that were not giving the results we were expected.

Some compromises were made in the car for a lot of hopes on performance, they were not coming so we only took the downside of those decisions. So next year should be much better and the lesson is taken.”

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/909848/1/ ... 019-alonso

diffuser

proteus wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 19:33

What makes you think Honda have a better packaging? I think the expectations were higher for McLaren. What makes you think STR was so successful at marrying the package?

Technically crunch time was 2018. They failed. That is why they cleaned house. I hope 2019 will be alot better but in reality it is a transition year(Keys will have just arrived). Agree on PU integration.

15 point is hard to make up in 2 races. FI have made 15 points in the last 4 races combined. While McLaren have made 4.

McHonda

M840TR wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 20:05
Asked to specify which areas McLaren lost performance in, Alonso replied: “Well, it’s a private thing in the team but definitely we took some directions in this project that were not giving the results we were expected.

Some compromises were made in the car for a lot of hopes on performance, they were not coming so we only took the downside of those decisions. So next year should be much better and the lesson is taken.”

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/909848/1/ ... 019-alonso
*cough* Rear suspension *cough*

Ended up with no mechanical grip for the limited aero benefit it brought is my totally uneducated guess.