[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

I was thinking about the interesting article published by Variante, and, considering that we brought attention to a detail of my car, I decided to explain how the openings along the edges of the floor work (or should work).

The purpose is to create a flow directed towards the leading edge of the diffuser, in order to influence the air and to prevent it from reaching the wheel (Coanda effect), so reducing the tyre squirt.

I can't reveal how much it changes the numbers, but I don't think it is enough, by itself, to win a race.

LVDH

Nice image, thank you for sharing. It clearly shows that that very small gap produces a meaningful vortex heading towards the diffuser strakes. Very cool.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 20:19
Nice image, thank you for sharing. It clearly shows that that very small gap produces a meaningful vortex heading towards the diffuser strakes. Very cool.
Thanks to MantiumFlow post processing ;)

machin

CAEdevice wrote: I don't think it is enough, by itself, to win a race.
Yes, Very nice, thanks for sharing; I love this kind of stuff! 👍👌

Back when I was doing Hillclimbing at one round two of my competitors were tied on exactly the same time (to the nearest 1/100th of a second)... and I beat them both by 4/100ths of a second... the small details can count!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 23:13
CAEdevice wrote: I don't think it is enough, by itself, to win a race.
Yes, Very nice, thanks for sharing; I love this kind of stuff! 👍👌

Back when I was doing Hillclimbing at one round two of my competitors were tied on exactly the same time (to the nearest 1/100th of a second)... and I beat them both by 4/100ths of a second... the small details can count!
I envy you hillclimbing! I only did a single downhill race (no motorsport, it was 20 years ago with a MTB partiallly designed by myself but I was too slow...). I am more competitive with mouse and CAD!

LVDH

machin wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 13:51
So, scrutineering is over... I am sure that the official findings will be published soon... but I will reveal there are no penalties for the championship front runners... :)

The race will be live at 12:00 GMT tomorrow (Sunday 18th) ... you will be able to watch using the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBsK1h- ... e=youtu.be
The video is up and running, you should check it out.

CAEdevice

Congratulations to Variante!

For CAEdevice another heavy defeat. I am waiting for the numbers, I can't explai5n the third place of JJR, I was sure he would be the fastest.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 18 Nov 2018, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

BlakjeKaas

Congrats to Variante for the win!
'
Interesting results! Again, very close at the top, but the midfield seems to bunch up nicely as well!

Should make for some close competition for the final rounds.
MVRC: Tulip Racing

variante

Uuuuu nice! I'm glad to take the Championship lead! ...I missed this feeling :D

The podium is tightly packed once again, and the other guys are closing in. I didn't expect Team Bart to reach that position already, and with such an original car! Well done!
A pity for Pure Power, who must have had -ironically- an engine power issue.

I'm sure the high downforce rounds are going to be even funnier, as you can forget about efficiency and all the effort it takes to be produced.

LVDH

Congratulations to the win and taking over the championship lead. Was about time someone caught up with CAEdevice, he is running an old car. Also congratulations to not only building something completely new but also cashing in with nice results.

I just once more checked the PPR car. He does have a slight engine power issue with only 92% power, while everyone else has the full 100%. He also has the third worse drag value. I will try to get the results including the numbers out tomorrow.

Big thanks to Richard for helping with the scrutineering and the once more great video.

Ft5fTL

I had enough on my tests but i guess my gamble of changing the rake without testing had an impact to the cooling.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

machin

All the cars are looking really good... big congratulations to Team Bart... snapping at the heals of the big 3... 👍
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

etsmc

Well, I was thinking a 5th place was going to be my best chance and was expecting it to be PurePowerRacing in front but what a surprise by TeamBart, Well done on making such an improvement.
Kicking myself as I checked everything from the last violations but my changes to my front wing look like they are just outside :(

JJR
JJR

Congratulations again to Variante and Matteo! Great progress from Team Bart too. I ´m quite happy with my 3rd palce.
My configuration of cooling/front diffuser was at its limit so for nex round I will use totaly diffrent package.

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 11:19
Congratulations again to Variante and Matteo! Great progress from Team Bart too. I ´m quite happy with my 3rd palce.
My configuration of cooling/front diffuser was at its limit so for nex round I will use totaly diffrent package.
Hi JJR! Congratulations to you too, the top three cars are so near that a small winglet or an uncontrolled vortex can make the difference from a 1st place to a 2nd or 3rd place.