2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
saviour stivala

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

zokipirlo wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 11:53
We didn't see true potential from Ferrari here. Seb had some problems with PU, Kimi maybe also had some problems which we don't know about. They are not like Mercedes, who are crying over radio how engine is going to die and still driving fastest laps and always miraculously survives. I think result would be similar like in Mexico if everything would be fine with PU. Ferrari and Mercedes don't use strongest engine modes in races anymore so Red Bull come much closer.
That is the results of Red Bull having accumulated new fresh engine parts to use in the later races of the season so they are in a position to use stronger engine modes. if Mercedes and FERRARI were in the same position the bulls would be nowhere near were they are.

marmer

Anyone else feel Kimi has suffered from Ferrari preferring the other driver.

In his championship year he was solid and confident. Second year just didn't get on with the car while Massa did.

But came back to Ferrari and Alonso was always favourite as is seb now

This year when there has been no way for Kimi to help seb due to sebs mistakes Kimi has looked just as fast as always and makes significantly less mistakes

LM10

marmer wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 09:54
Anyone else feel Kimi has suffered from Ferrari preferring the other driver.

In his championship year he was solid and confident. Second year just didn't get on with the car while Massa did.

But came back to Ferrari and Alonso was always favourite as is seb now

This year when there has been no way for Kimi to help seb due to sebs mistakes Kimi has looked just as fast as always and makes significantly less mistakes
In the first half of the season it was Vettel who had been left without help from Kimi in several races as the latter made errors in Qualifying or bad starts putting him in a position unable to let his teammate benefit.

As the season progressed, however, Kimi got better and at the same time Vettel got clumsier. Maybe in correlation with pressure decreasing for one and increasing for the other one.

zac510

Back to Brazil for a moment - I was watching the highlights and was reminded of Arrivabene's 'switch drivers' hand signal on the pit wall. The commentators stated that he was calling for them to be switched, which could easily have been a misrepresentation of his hand signal.
However if true, I was very surprised that he was the one to make a tactical call. I wonder why his race engineers have to check through him - a non-race engineer, management type - before they're allowed to take action.

Big Tea

zac510 wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 08:38
Back to Brazil for a moment - I was watching the highlights and was reminded of Arrivabene's 'switch drivers' hand signal on the pit wall. The commentators stated that he was calling for them to be switched, which could easily have been a misrepresentation of his hand signal.
However if true, I was very surprised that he was the one to make a tactical call. I wonder why his race engineers have to check through him - a non-race engineer, management type - before they're allowed to take action.
If it was him making the call, I am very surprised he made it as clear as that, knowing the place is swarming with tv.
Unless of course he wanted it on tv???
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zac510

Yes, perhaps he had heard the engineers talking on the radio and was making the signal to tell the TV. We can't just assume either way, without more evidence.

dfegan358

Red bull have been very strong in last few races, they have been excellent in tyre management and Verstappen been very good.

Have to agree though that Ferrari and Mercedes slightly disadvantaged with older PU compared To RB with higher mileage.

Have a feeling Vettel will bounce back with a win this weekend. Hamilton May have engine penalty or use older engine spec with High miles.

Interesting to see RB pace this weekend. If Honda get their act together over the winter, Verstappen could be a serious force more regularly next year.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 17:26
zac510 wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 08:38
If it was him making the call, I am very surprised he made it as clear as that, knowing the place is swarming with tv.
Unless of course he wanted it on tv???
Why? it isn't illegal.

Raleigh

I suppose Arrivabene wants to be seen as the one making decisions.

zac510

That's what worries me, because he's a marketing/PR man, is he not? A quick look at his CV suggests so.

santos

So… Chris Horner, tells to their drivers to switch positions, Toto Wolf is seen making the call to Bottas let Hamilton pass. In the past, Jean Todt makes a call to Barrichelo to let Micheal pass. Years before, Edie Jordan tells to Damon Hill to let Ralf Schumacher pass…
So, what's the problem on being Arrivabene making the decision?

F1NAC

It could be simple as that engineers suggested that Vettel is slower and that the best thing is to let Kimi through which could lead to that gesture as sign of approval.

zac510

Yes agree, perhaps more likely that he's approving the suggestion of the engineers.

santos, you're giving a biased set of examples of where the teams made the switch and it was successful. But a team principal going in over the strategists and engineers and overruling decisions to create bad outcomes could be a really dangerous and destroy the trust between the team engineers/strategists/etc.
Here's an example from just last month: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolf ... s/3193914/

santos

zac510 wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 14:00
Yes agree, perhaps more likely that he's approving the suggestion of the engineers.

santos, you're giving a biased set of examples of where the teams made the switch and it was successful. But a team principal going in over the strategists and engineers and overruling decisions to create bad outcomes could be a really dangerous and destroy the trust between the team engineers/strategists/etc.
Here's an example from just last month: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolf ... s/3193914/
It's not biased... It's factual. And i think not all of them were successful. When Horner asked to Ric give a tow to Max, he refused to go. That wasn't good for the team. And when Jeant Todt asked Ruben to let Micheal win the race… i don't think Barrichelo liked the idea.

zac510

It's biased because they're the examples that were broadcast, versus examples that are not broadcast that we don't know about. Apologies, I forgot about that Ric/Ver event in Austria!

In any case the root of the point I raised in this thread is more like "does Arrivabene trust his engineers and strategists to execute decisions without him?"