Porsche & the buzz around 2021 Engine Regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Dr. Acula

Re: Porsche & the buzz around 2021 Engine Regulations

ScottB wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 17:31
Weren't Williams involved in the 919's hybrid development?
Not that i know of. Williams developed the hybrid system for the Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid. But the energy store in the 919 was developed by A123 Systems.
Williams specialized in flywheels as the energy store. Something that proofed to be a dead end in racing applications.

Maritimer

ScottB wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 17:31
Weren't Williams involved in the 919's hybrid development?
The first two generation R18 hybrids used their flywheel as storage, that's about the extent of their involvement in P1 far as I know.

Ringleheim

Porsche isn't entering F1. End of story.

Kind of a short, boring story, but that's how it goes.

adrianjordan

Ringleheim wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 07:33
Porsche isn't entering F1. End of story.

Kind of a short, boring story, but that's how it goes.
Well, never say never, but extremely unlikely any time soon.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

TAG

The likelihood of "never" happening just got a dramatic increase.
Autosport- Porsche's former World Endurance Championship LMP1 team boss Andreas Seidl is set to move into Formula 1 in a senior role at a team. Although his departure from Porsche has not been confirmed and it is not yet known which F1 team he is heading for, 42-year-old Seidl has an extremely strong CV that would make him well-qualified for a team principal role.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

zac510

Because their team boss has quit the team now they're more likely to join F1? That's some weird logic!

kptaylor

Well, silly season speculation, maybe Porsche sees an opportunity to buy Williams, install Seidl and recreate the Martini Porsche livery in F1! ;)

TAG

zac510 wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 16:45
Because their team boss has quit the team now they're more likely to join F1? That's some weird logic!
Um you do know that Porsche is no longer running LMP1 cars... Porsche without participation in a marquee racing series is something that won't stay that way for long.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NathanOlder

zac510 wrote:
No, now he's left , there is less chance of it happening.

He said there is more chance of 'never' happening

Or have I read that wrong ?

Andreas Seidl leaving to join F1 with someone else means to me that he wants to get into F1, so if Porsche were thinking about it, he would know surely. So I see it as no way for Porsche in the next years
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marmer

Longshot but what if he has joined a team to get a foot in the door for 2021 and return to Porsche

Maritimer

TAG wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 18:11
zac510 wrote:
Um you do know that Porsche is no longer running LMP1 cars... Porsche without participation in a marquee racing series is something that won't stay that way for long.
They have factory teams in every major sports car series, they arent concerned with prototype or open wheel racing any more. GTs have always been the bread and butter of Porsche anyway, they dont need to be in "marquee" racing series to promote themselves or their engineering.

zac510

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 19:37
zac510 wrote:
No, now he's left , there is less chance of it happening.

He said there is more chance of 'never' happening

Or have I read that wrong ?

Andreas Seidl leaving to join F1 with someone else means to me that he wants to get into F1, so if Porsche were thinking about it, he would know surely. So I see it as no way for Porsche in the next years
I thought he put the word never in quotes to make a kind of sarcasm.

TAG

Maritimer wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 00:45
TAG wrote:
zac510 wrote:
They have factory teams in every major sports car series, they arent concerned with prototype or open wheel racing any more. GTs have always been the bread and butter of Porsche anyway, they dont need to be in "marquee" racing series to promote themselves or their engineering.
Do you have anything other than your opinion for this comment?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

McG

TAG wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 01:07
Maritimer wrote:
TAG wrote:

The fact they pulled out of WEC and are unlikely to join F1.
F1 is dead.

TAG

McG wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 05:10
TAG wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 01:07
Maritimer wrote:

The fact they pulled out of WEC and are unlikely to join F1.
And why did they pull out of WEC? It's as costly as F1 and doesn't have nearly the level of eyeballs on it and racing one other team which you handily beat wasn't giving them a lot of bang for the buck. When you're selling cars you have be in racing that people see. So they're willing to spend the money clearly that wasn't it. Now no VW group brands are not racing at a marquee level and F1 is the only form of motorsport they haven't conquered. I think that position has less chance of being right as it does of being wrong, but you're not alone in that conclusion. Time will tell.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत