Exhaust Manifold

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
sm88

Exhaust Manifold

Hello, new to this forum and was just seeking some advice really. I was planning a home project using a V10 F1 manifold and have been on the look out for a while now for one to come up. I saw the one linked below recently but it differs from all other F1 V10 manifolds I have seen as it exits quite wide to another pipe by the looks of it, whilst almost all others I have seen have either looped back around on themselves or exited to the top or bottom directly underneath the branch section, which makes sense due to the width restrictions of a single seater.

The seller states it is from a Jordan F1 car however he is unsure of the year. Not trying to say he is mistaken, I just have not seen this type before and cannot quite picture the layout mounted to the engine in the car. Any information anybody has would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Formula-1-Ex ... Swr5db7DHV

DiogoBrand

Re: Exhaust Manifold

How can someone get an exhaust manifold from someone working for an F1 team, but not even remember what year it is from? It also doesn't look anything like a Mugen Honda V10 exhaust:

To me, judging by the angle it looks like a regular car exhaust, and even if it is genuine, without a certificate of authenticity, an exhaust that "Someone who worked for Jordan gave me" is effectively a stolen item.

I don't know anything to give you a proper opinion on this, but to me it looks like a good opportunity to lose money.

sm88

Thanks for the reply DiogoBrand, I had a similar opinion, looks like a regular car exhaust in terms of routing. Something just does not seem right with this.

Maritimer

Seller thinks its titanium? Did the NA engines ever use anything besides inconel? That the inlets arent welded on also looks suspicious, never seen them held on with springs like that before. No need for that much adjustment on something purpose made for an engine.

sm88

I have purchased a V8 manifold before directly from a team and it was constructed of inconel as you say. It also was joined only at the collector using metal links bolted to welded lugs with 10mm hex bolts and yes, as you mentined, the inlets were welded, no springs at all anywhere on the manifold. That is what threw me, the vast differences from what I had seen previously.

Just_a_fan

DiogoBrand wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 22:52
How can someone get an exhaust manifold from someone working for an F1 team, but not even remember what year it is from?
I have an F1 wheel in my garage. I know what team it came from but not what year it was used. The reality is that F1 teams scrap stuff and team personnel do take stuff out of the skip - usually it ends up being donated to a local auction or it just gets given to a friend who's interested in F1. So long as it was being thrown away, then it's "no harm, no foul".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.