What changes should be made to the rules for lapped cars in F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

No more blue flags - lead drivers race lapped drivers, all normal racing rules apply.
25%
No more lapped drivers - as soon as a car is lapped the race is over for them, return to the pits.
3%
Blue flags for lead drivers - if a lapped car is quicker the lead cars are given blue flags and must let the lapped cars through.
9%
No change.
63%

Total votes: 75

Phil

Re: What changes should be made to the rules for lapped cars in F1?

strad wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 21:59
Done arguing..Pretty clear that I think you should quit beating a dead horse.
The FIA and a dozen ex drivers say you're wrong but you can believe whatever you like.
That's a pretty weak argument there Strad. Regardless what the FIA may or may not have said or ruled, does not mean one can't have a constructive discussion about it.

Diego made an excellent point.

You said "He has a right to unlap himself when he can do so cleanly. He does not have the right to FIGHT with the leader.." - fair enough. But if the car in front (e.g. Max in this case) does not want to play ball and starts defending (as he did into T1) and chooses to stick to his line with little regard for if there's a car next to him or not, one has to question if there is any chance of a clean pass.

It always takes two to play nice. For whatever reason, Max did not want to and defended his position against a faster car that was a lap behind. What did you expect Ocon to do? Give up? Not unlap himself, despite the rules stating he is allowed to?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

strad

I think we have a lot of guys that can't accept the ruling by the stewards or the FIA. Even to the point of down voting anyone that disagrees with them. Real Mature.....NOT.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

Only one person suffered from the incident - Max himself. Doesn't matter about the right or wrong of Ocon's actions, Max only has himself to blame for making it difficult for Ocon to unlap himself. Max could have given him space and let him go but chose not to. That was his mistake and he paid for it. The question is: will he learn from it and let the backmarker go next time, or will he play hardball again?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

OR...Will Ocon learn when and where he should try such a move...That is if this black mark on his record doesn't keep him from ever getting another F1 drive. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

Max moved off line and Ocon had good overspeed around the outside in to Turn 1. Any driver would have figured that Max was letting him by. Then Max changed his game through T1 in T2 and Ocon was trapped with nowhere to go other than over the large pillow kerb on the inside of Turn 2. Going over that would have launched him in to Max and likely ended both of their races right there. Max got away lightly for his chop in to Ocon.

But as I said, Max suffered the most by losing the win so I figure he paid for his crappy attitude to other drivers.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

strad wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 02:04
OR...Will Ocon learn when and where he should try such a move...That is if this black mark on his record doesn't keep him from ever getting another F1 drive. :wink:
If the rumours are true, then Ocon has a seat in 2020 in the best team on the grid. Max has signed up to a team who haven't won a title for half a decade :lol: :wink:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

strad

rumors in F1 pop up like weeds in the yard.
Sir Stirling Moss

iotar__

A. Charlie Whiting should be fired.
B. Verstappen should learn basics of wheel-to-wheel racing

strad

keep down voting me for having opinion... very mature.
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

strad wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 20:40
keep down voting me for having opinion... very mature.
I think you should probably read why you have been down voted. from what I can see, its your maturity that's the issue, not you opinion!
197 104 103 7

hollus

I This thread has run its course. Locked (at least for now).
Rivals, not enemies.