2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dren

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

I don't think it has anything to do with Alonso and Toyota in WEC racing. As I said, it's a Honda issue with Mclaren. If Mclaren wasn't involved, it could be an Andretti-Honda with Alonso driving.
Honda!

adrianjordan

I think it is actually more likely that it IS down to Alonso being a Toyota driver than the suggested petty attitude that some on here are suggesting towards Mclaren.

Haven't Honda already said that they would consider working with Mclaren in F1 again?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

dren

It's Honda's higher ups that have issue with how the Mclaren partnership ended.
Honda!

RonDennis

dren wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 13:08
RonDennis wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 21:55
Who even cares if he's running Honda. He's racing for Toyota and still under contract with McLaren, Honda not really sounding that logical to be honest.
Honda cares and Andretti run Honda engines in Indy which is who Mclaren paired with a year ago for the 500.
That's not what I meant. People are still discussing why he isn't driving with Honda, but that seems quite obvious in my opinion.

McG

Maybe Alonso and/or McLaren don't want Honda.
F1 is dead.

trinidefender

I just heard news that the McLaren F1 tea.....ohhhhhh sorry, don't mean to disturb. I didn't realise that this was the indycar thread. Carry on.

diffuser

trinidefender wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 03:47
I just heard news that the McLaren F1 tea.....ohhhhhh sorry, don't mean to disturb. I didn't realise that this was the indycar thread. Carry on.
I think it's a barometer of McLaren's present F1 state.

GoranF1

Alonso just stated entire F1 season in 2020 a possibility
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Nonserviam85

Mods maybe create a McLaren-Indy thread?

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 19:11
If he wanted to be in F1 in 2020, he should have stayed in 2019... He also said he wouldn't be in f1 in 2021....If he signs in 2020 , he would have to sign for 3 years....

The top 3's story will not change. Renault's story will not change ....his best shot was with with McLaren. One of the 2 drivers would have to really bomb next year to allow him back in. I highly doubt Saints will. I'm not sure McLaren would be ready to give up on Lando after 1 bad year.

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 20:22
GoranF1 wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 19:11
If he wanted to be in F1 in 2020, he should have stayed in 2019... He also said he wouldn't be in f1 in 2021....If he signs in 2020 , he would have to sign for 3 years....

The top 3's story will not change. Renault's story will not change ....his best shot was with with McLaren. One of the 2 drivers would have to really bomb next year to allow him back in. I highly doubt Saints will. I'm not sure McLaren would be ready to give up on Lando after 1 bad year.
I get the feeling Renault still have an eye on Carlos in the long term, but I expect him to do at least 2 years with Mclaren. Even if Fernando does come back, 2021 is more of a possibility, at least in theory, because as far as I know, only LeClerc has a contract beyond 2020.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

Andrea Stella, Engineering director and Fernando's race engineer at Ferrari gives a brilliant insight into his driving style:

To compare Alonso and Schumacher, Stella conjures the idea of mapping the individual qualities that make up a racing driver - speed, wet-weather driving, technical feedback, intelligence, consistency, tyre sensitivity, adaptability, the ability to compute things beyond the immediate driving etc - as points around a centre, the further away from the centre, the more highly developed the skill.

He says: "If you take a circle of qualities, where Fernando is very high (in all of them) but potentially not the best in any of them, I think Michael was potentially the best in some of them, but in some others he was weaker than Fernando.

"So Michael's would be more like a star, whereas Fernando's is more like a perfect circle, but potentially not up to the excellence some of the drivers might have shown (in some of the areas)."

Stella uses examples from two areas - driving and technical feedback - to illustrate how two different approaches can lead to a similar end result.

"Michael was an attacking driver. He approached things from beyond the limit, back to the limit. Fernando is more from below the limit, to the limit.

"So for example, Michael's capacity to control the rear end and drive an oversteery car was just unbelievable. But sometimes this became his weakness. Because he drove a car so oversteery in free practice that when it came to qualifying, where you push that 1% more, he might have too much oversteer, or too much rear tyre degradation in the race.

"So with Michael, the engineers had to have an active role in trying to control his capacity and say: 'Michael, where are you doing this and where is the car doing that? We need more from the car and less from you.'

"Fernando understands his own limits better, and he is very good at understanding where he is contributing and where the car is contributing. He can prepare the car for the race very well thanks to this.

Another interesting difference is that Michael was very analytical and dialectical. We spent so much time speaking about the car.

"Fernando is a concise person. When he comes back to the pits, in the first three words of his feedback, he has said 95% of his point.

"With Michael, the technique was more about filtering the essence from the details. With Fernando, it is more using a lot of specific questions to build a detailed-enough picture from the essence.

"His sensitivity to the car is exceptional. It is just a matter of where you feel comfortable as a driver. He feels comfortable if he knows that we are attacking 90% of the problem."

And Stella gives one final insight into the level of Alonso's sensitivity to the car's behaviour, and adaptability, and the benefits that brings.

"With Fernando,when there is a problem, it tends to be spread over all the corners. Like, if there is too much oversteer, you see it is more or less everywhere. While some drivers may say understeer here, oversteer there.

"That is a matter of awareness. You can create your own understeer, for example. Like, if the car is a bit nervous, you don't commit to turn early enough, or to turn enough. So you delay the turn-in, and then you are always going to get an understeery car mid-corner.

"But not all drivers realise that this mid-corner balance is very much a result of what happens in the earlier 50m. And that's very tricky for an engineer, because if you only go with the driver, you get lost, because you keep going after the mid-corner understeer."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46237953

aral

Posts about Alonso and Ferrari have been removed as they were off topic.

Lucky

Andreas Seidl: From Porsche to McLaren or Mercedes?
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... s-18111907

mclaren111

MotorSportWeek:
Fernando Alonso is predicting an upturn in performance for his McLaren team next season, believing the team have learned their lessons during a difficult period.

And here we go again... Let's hope that since he's leaving it will actually materialize... [-o< [-o<