2019 performance speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: 2019 performance speculation

TAG wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 19:38
Being able to follow closely and not having to nurse the tires as much. That's been the stated goals, so the takeaway IMO will be that the gap between worst to first will compress quite a bit. Turbo and batteries are the main areas left for making power gains. Aero "complexity" for lack of a better word is being decreased, but that's not really what will be going on, we know that areas of the car such as floors and barges will likely be asked to work double time to make up for the loss of outwash effect. Interesting times indeed, but I think come Barcelona next year we'll be looking at around a 2 second qualifying gap between first and last.
I hope you're right, I'd love the midfield guys to be able to fight the front guys if the front guys have any issues and have to come back through the field. When it happens this year, most of the midfield jump out the way as they know they have no chance to keep a front car behind them. If next year some of Renault, F.I , Haas, Sauber ect are within a second of the top 3 teams then they may try and hold them back as they may feel they can keep them back.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Polite

Joseph Hudson wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 11:45
Right Now my running order predctions
1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3.Red Bull
4.Renault
5. Force India
6. Haas
7. Sauber
8.Toro Rosso
9. Maclern
10.Williams
mine is, in group of competitors

1 Mercedes, Ferrari, Redbull
2 Renault, AlfaSauber, ForceIndia
3 Haas, ToroRosso, Mclaren
4 Williams.

Hoping for a good job for the end of the year by Mecca and Williams..

anzx

Sorry guys, but I think you underestimate Renault too much. It's about time that French team joins the front. They invested to much to be just 4th. I believe that Renault will be max 0.5 sec behind. And their driving pairing is probably the best in F1.

AJI
AJI

I'll go for driver number of wins, from most to least. This is not my WDC prediction though.

1 - HAM
2 - VET
3 - LEC
4 - VER
5 - RIC
6 - GAS

Sorry BOT, you're gonna get team ordered out of existence...

djos

KeiKo403 wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 10:26
It will be interesting to see how the Red Bull goes, or should I say how the Honda PU performs in a Newey car.
Indeed, the Honda PU has been pretty fragile this year so reliability is still a big question mark.
"In downforce we trust"

WaikeCU

I'm thinking Sauber might surprise for next season. I assume that Kimi will have a no.1 status at Sauber. He'll spend a lot of time in the factory and close to the engineers weekly or even daily, so there will be constant feedback and input. Ever since he announced the Sauber deal I felt a load fell off his shoulders, he seems more relaxed, lense tensed, lense 'Iceman', more sense of humor.

Did you guys notice how fast that Sauber was in Abu Dhabi in the hands of Leclerc? I think it might well be the 4th fastest team next season with some occasional podium finishes with Kimi.

NathanOlder

Podium is a massive push with the top 3 teams dominating! Plus surely Renault are most likely to clean up any podiums on offer next year ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

notsofast

I would like to see Red Bull on an equal footing with Mercedes and Ferrari, but I would not be surprised if Honda reliability will cause Ricciardo to have a better season than Verstappen.

i70q7m7ghw

Godius wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 15:38
Diesel wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 13:21
McLaren said similar things about Honda at the start, I'm not convinced, it didn't look great in the Torro Rosso this year. Let's not forget, Renault isn't standing still, the Spec C engine is a significant upgrade in power, they just need to sort the delivery issues, and they may even turn up next year with a Spec D/E with even more improvements.

McLaren and Honda had a major disconnect from the start, there was no synergy noticeable at all. The opposite is happening according to the various reports with the RBR/Honda partnership, cooperation is happening in every R&D and production process it seems.
McLaren said all the same things at the start. I'm sorry, but if Honda is going to turn up with the best engine on the grid next year I'll need to see it before I believe it. Let's not forget, they've also got two very junior drivers with limited experience of developing a GP car.

I think as others have mentioned, Renault should move closer to the top 4 next year, and if the Honda in the back of the RB isn't up to scratch Renault could be right in the mix.

Overall I don't expect massive changes up/down the grid, Mercedes & Ferrari will fight for the championship again.

Phil

I dont think Redbull would need ‘the best engine’ to be competitive.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 23:27
Redbull will have other issues to deal with, because Newey's shrink wrap mentality always seems to cause issues with the PU.
197 104 103 7

Wynters

Phil wrote:
Agreed. Red Bull were competitive this season, Ricciardo's unreliability and Verstappen's incidents hid a significant portion of their pace. If you extrapolate finishes based on Verstappen not tangling with other cars then he would have been ahead of Vettel for the last part of the season. He wouldn't have caught Hamilton in the end but he'd have been significantly closer, putting more pressure on Mercedes and it would certainly have been a more exciting season.

If Red Bull aren't challenging next year then they'll have gone backwards.

NathanOlder

Wynters wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 02:53
Phil wrote:
Agreed. Red Bull were competitive this season, Ricciardo's unreliability and Verstappen's incidents hid a significant portion of their pace. If you extrapolate finishes based on Verstappen not tangling with other cars then he would have been ahead of Vettel for the last part of the season. He wouldn't have caught Hamilton in the end but he'd have been significantly closer, putting more pressure on Mercedes and it would certainly have been a more exciting season.

If Red Bull aren't challenging next year then they'll have gone backwards.
But Verstappen would have only challenged Vettel if he hadn't have screwed up and tangled with other cars like you say. But that would have only been because Vettel screwed up himself. If Vettel hadn't have screwed up so much himself, there's no way Verstappen would have been anywhere near Vettel. The Red Bull was competitive yes, but it was never competitive for a championship race. So it depends what you call competitive.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

AJI
AJI

The pecking order won't change much in 2019. Mercedes/Ferrari equal first (driver ability and team politics will decide the WDC and WCC), Red Bull third, Renault fourth...

Bill

Why is everyone lying about Honda reliability,they had 2 problems with Gasly in first race meh (Aus) and last race Abu Dhabi all a result of hitting the kerb had . For bit of perspective Hulknberg has used 5 engines. Redbull as of now is the only term that have been able to recoup all of the downforce lost as a result of new front wing , Honda expect another step in power gains so Rbr will be the team to beat