Jimmy Johnson- Alonso car swap

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

Jimmy Johnson- Alonso car swap

I their car swap Jimmy Johnson was only a little over 2 tenths off Alonso's bench mark time in the F1 car.
You should go to youtube to check out the videos. None are full length TV shows (which bums me out) but there are some interesting snippets.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

McMrocks

Re: Jimmy Johnson- Alonso car swap

strad wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 03:18
I their car swap Jimmy Johnson was only a little over 2 tenths off Alonso's bench mark time in the F1 car.
You should go to youtube to check out the videos. None are full length TV shows (which bums me out) but there are some interesting snippets.
If he is really only 2 tenths off Alonso's time that is incredible. No F1 car test before. F1 cars with down force levels like never before. F2 talents that fail to make the jump over the gap between F2 and F1- Considering how long it takes for people to adapt to F1 cars we should now consider JJ the best racing driver ever born. Hamilton can get his coat. Vettel should drive DTM. Verstappen? Who is this guy. Senna, the second best behind JJ.

JJ fastest racer on earth. NASCAR the pinnacle of motor racing.

Yet, i don't buy this two tenths. If he was 1,5sec slower at this show event i would consider it to be a absolutely amazing performance by JJ

strad

do the research McMrocks
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

graham.reeds

What was Alonso benchmark time and what was Alonso qualifying race time?

ambren

Having originally intended to do a five-lap stint, his first run was cut short when he experienced his helmet lifting off on the straights.

McLaren quickly fitted a windscreen to help the situation, and Johnson successful completed a longer effort.
great

daren_p

I saw a few of these clips on youtube a month or two back. Not really a "benchmark" time from Alonso, from what I recall he wasn't even supposed to drive the F1 car (think it was a 2012 car?), at the last min he asked to go for a lap & they let him. He basically drove one quick lap & was done, from what one of the video's (or possibly an article) said was the swapped driver then basically gets the rest of the day to see what he can do. Jimmy did get within 2 tenths of Alonso's time but Alonso beat Jimmy's "benchmark" time in the NASCAR by something like 4 seconds....