Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: Formula E

marmer wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 01:40
Andres125sx wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 22:11
It was a fun race, I did enjoy it :)

But I can´t understand how most cars finished the race with 9-13% of battery left... is there any new rule to prevent cars pushing the battery too much?

Considering the conditions and the tarmac wich according to the comentators has been sanded and was very very slippery, cars didn´t look slow at all

Is there any coment about pace difference between Gen2 cars and previous?
Safety car just like in F1 allows cars to save energy and unlike a fuel based formula there is no befits in trying to burn off the fuel / use the charge as you don't get weight benefit in F1 if you noticed you will have excess fuel oyu could run rich during safety car to help out. Just no need to do that in Fe
Even if finishing with a far from empty battery means no extra weight, there are a lot of coasting in FE, so they could use the extra battery to not coast and make faster laptimes

I didn´t notice at the last part of the race, did they coast or not?

marmer

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 10:27
marmer wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 01:40
Andres125sx wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 22:11
It was a fun race, I did enjoy it :)

But I can´t understand how most cars finished the race with 9-13% of battery left... is there any new rule to prevent cars pushing the battery too much?

Considering the conditions and the tarmac wich according to the comentators has been sanded and was very very slippery, cars didn´t look slow at all

Is there any coment about pace difference between Gen2 cars and previous?
Safety car just like in F1 allows cars to save energy and unlike a fuel based formula there is no befits in trying to burn off the fuel / use the charge as you don't get weight benefit in F1 if you noticed you will have excess fuel oyu could run rich during safety car to help out. Just no need to do that in Fe
Even if finishing with a far from empty battery means no extra weight, there are a lot of coasting in FE, so they could use the extra battery to not coast and make faster laptimes

I didn´t notice at the last part of the race, did they coast or not?
Actually I don't think there was a huge amount of lifting and coasting needed on this track the re gen is quite effective so what you save by lifting early you don't get back in energy recovery

Sawtooth-spike

marmer wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 11:14
the standard of the broadcast is awful. never told which cars are onscreen and with half the gird looking the same it makes it hard to figure out who is who.

i watched the race start to finish and it must have been about 5 laps before i knew why massa had dropped back so far
I enjoyed the race, but they need to work on the production, They kept talking over the Driver Comms, Some of the on screen Graphics were overkill, They also need to get better at cutting to the Attack zone (they ether missed it, or were looking at empty tarmac most of the time) I think they need some better static camera angles they just feel a little same. But this is just down to them getting better over times.

I think they need to get the team liveries sorted. Way to many cars look the same. Also the Halo LEDs are a great idea, but very hard to see unless on the tight shot.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

godlameroso

The speed of the new cars make the spectacle a lot better, now that they're as fast as GT4 cars it really seems like proper racing. I enjoyed that, this is really a good step forward for the series.
Saishū kōnā

strad

Finally got around to watching race 1. If this is what it's going to be like I don't think it will ever take over or grow a large audience.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

adrianjordan

Sawtooth-spike wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 14:39
marmer wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 11:14
the standard of the broadcast is awful. never told which cars are onscreen and with half the gird looking the same it makes it hard to figure out who is who.

i watched the race start to finish and it must have been about 5 laps before i knew why massa had dropped back so far
I enjoyed the race, but they need to work on the production, They kept talking over the Driver Comms, Some of the on screen Graphics were overkill, They also need to get better at cutting to the Attack zone (they ether missed it, or were looking at empty tarmac most of the time) I think they need some better static camera angles they just feel a little same. But this is just down to them getting better over times.

I think they need to get the team liveries sorted. Way to many cars look the same. Also the Halo LEDs are a great idea, but very hard to see unless on the tight shot.
A million times this..!!

I was watching the BBC coverage on iPlayer and it was painful at times. Which is strange as it's not like BBC don't have experience with motorsports.

I like the idea of the Attack Zone, but I think the execution could be better done... Maybe have it as a sort of mini pit-lane (perhaps with temporary barriers to split it from the main track) rather than just a patch of tarmac with 2 lines...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 21:03
Finally got around to watching race 1. If this is what it's going to be like I don't think it will ever take over or grow a large audience.

Past season average was 27 million each race, with an increase of 50% compared to previous season

No numbers yet, but with Gen2 cars audience for this first race surely was much larger

BTW, the Eprix in the USA got almost same audience than Indycar average (412k vs 450k)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/setheveret ... 9cff8753fb

Andres125sx

Ok I got it :oops:

The SC Lopez caused was on track from almost 12 minutes to go to 3 minutes, so they only did some laps after and couldn´t use what they didn´t during those 9 minutes of SC

marmer

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 23:10
strad wrote:

Past season average was 27 million each race, with an increase of 50% compared to previous season

No numbers yet, but with Gen2 cars audience for this first race surely was much larger

BTW, the Eprix in the USA got almost same audience than Indycar average (412k vs 450k)

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/mot ... 48831.html

Compared to F1 it's not a large audience

Especially when you consider you can watch formula e for free worldwide on YouTube plus TV in some regions. While in many countries F1 is hidden behind a pay wall

strad

the question for some time has been will Formula E surpass F1 in popularity.
I repeat with the format, the way races are run, I don't see it happening in my lifetime.
I thought before and even more so now that Formula E sucks so bad...

The opinion was expressed clearly enough up to that point. The part that could be (was) taken as goading or mocking has been removed.
As has the response to it.
As has the response to that response.

Please avoid personal arguments. Thank you
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

marmer wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 23:36
Andres125sx wrote:
strad wrote:

Especially when you consider you can watch formula e for free worldwide on YouTube plus TV in some regions. While in many countries F1 is hidden behind a pay wall
Disagree, F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports, a 68 years old sport with a lot of tradition, known all around the world and with the largest audience of any other motorsport by far.

Comparing a new competition in its fourth year with F1 is unfair, but even so largest audience for a F1 race was Monaco with 110m versus Rome in FE with 34m. Maybe you got fooled with the numbers in the headlines, but that 1.2 billions should be compared with the 300 millions who sometime wathced a FE race

Almost a third of the pinnacle of motorsports in its fourth season even before Gen2 cars? :o To me that is impressive and show huge interest in FE all around the world. I didn´t expect anything close to these numbers

But some people will always criticize, no matter what are the achivements

marmer

Andres125sx wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 10:24
marmer wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Disagree, F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports, a 68 years old sport with a lot of tradition, known all around the world and with the largest audience of any other motorsport by far.

Comparing a new competition in its fourth year with F1 is unfair, but even so largest audience for a F1 race was Monaco with 110m versus Rome in FE with 34m. Maybe you got fooled with the numbers in the headlines, but that 1.2 billions should be compared with the 300 millions who sometime wathced a FE race

Almost a third of the pinnacle of motorsports in its fourth season even before Gen2 cars? :o To me that is impressive and show huge interest in FE all around the world. I didn´t expect anything close to these numbers

But some people will always criticize, no matter what are the achivements
but while i enjoy the racing its hard to say fe has achieved anything. its heavily funded to support itself, free to watch allows most viewing possible. and those figure don't really say how many people are coming back for more. alot could be first time viewers so the actual hardcore might only be half or so. i personally after season 1 only kept a passing glance at the sport as it just seemed a joke with the swapping of cars, poor tracks, poor production

they have managed to fix one aspect of the product in 5 years.... the car still isn't fast enough to go on large tracks without looking silly so more street tracks that only look different when the camera zooms out

edit - fan view should go its ridiculous how the public should have any right on who gets more performance its worse than some of bernies ideas before he left i would actually prefer random rain

graham.reeds

I watched qualifying and race on Eurosport. While the race itself was okay the commentary and what was happening leaves a lot to be desired.

Fan boost needs to go.

The FZero/WipeOut speed up zone needs to be better marked out on screen. Two thin white lines from a zoomed out camera doesn't help. Why no graphical overlay?

Andres125sx

marmer wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 11:05

but while i enjoy the racing its hard to say fe has achieved anything
Agree, that might be the reason nobody said that :P

marmer wrote:
and those figure don't really say how many people are coming back for more. alot could be first time viewers so the actual hardcore might only be half or so.
That´s the reason I posted average figures per weekend, 27 million viewers

marmer wrote:
they have managed to fix one aspect of the product in 5 years.... the car still isn't fast enough to go on large tracks without looking silly so more street tracks that only look different when the camera zooms out
Nobody ever said they would improve dramatically in 5 years, it´s a long road for sure, but they´ve managed to get rid of the car swap (wich I did hate too), and they´ve attract more manufacturers than F1 could ever dream, not even in its golden era. Also, is important to notice it did survive first seasons, wich might sound obvious but a vast majority of people didn´t think they would survive first 2-3 seasons as electric racing cars supposedly were not ready to race, people would not be interested, etc.

Well, they survived first seasons, cars have improved a lot, there are a lot of manufacturers involved... That´s something, isn´t it?

Ferry

marmer wrote:
I wish I could watch FE live on Youtube, but it's blocked in my region. (Norway) My alternative is paying for Eurosport Player, @ NOK 129,- / month. (13€/month) I don't have a TV-decoder, btw.
I'm already paying NOK 329,- / month (33€/month) for Viaplay to watch F1.
Paying monthly to watch something that is not even arranged every month just feels so old fashioned. And the price is way too high. FE should be happy to attract F1 fans for free, imo. And I'm speaking as a EV-enthusiast and EV-owner.