New Videos

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Morteza
1632
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: New Videos

Post by Morteza » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:53 am

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NathanOlder
112
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: New Videos

Post by NathanOlder » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Oh how I don't miss James Allen! His commentary in that video on Button and Vettels wins makes me cringe. How anyone can complain about Crofty I don't know. Just listen to James Allen. Bad times.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

cplchanb
2
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Re: New Videos

Post by cplchanb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:54 pm

NathanOlder wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:58 pm
Oh how I don't miss James Allen! His commentary in that video on Button and Vettels wins makes me cringe. How anyone can complain about Crofty I don't know. Just listen to James Allen. Bad times.
croft sounds like he reads out of a script every time. His lights out phrase is so generic everytime and he has no creative word bank other than oh dear.... at least JA was genuinely enthusiastic about the race like Murray was.

NathanOlder
112
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: New Videos

Post by NathanOlder » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Murray said the same thing at the start and everyone liked it. James Allen at the start screams like its the winning penalty in the world cup final. No way was he better than David Croft.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

strad
255
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: New Videos

Post by strad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 pm

Isn't it Croft that does a lot of screaming on SKY? It's not just Ted is it?
It's like all the British announcers seem to yell like it's the winning goal in soccer.
That's part of my gripe about the SKY coverage. The false excitement over every little nothing.
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

cplchanb
2
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Re: New Videos

Post by cplchanb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 pm

strad wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 pm
Isn't it Croft that does a lot of screaming on SKY? It's not just Ted is it?
It's like all the British announcers seem to yell like it's the winning goal in soccer.
That's part of my gripe about the SKY coverage. The false excitement over every little nothing.
to each their own, but i rather enjoy enthusiasm that isnt scripted like croft's. surely there can be different ways to call a start than ILOaAWG every time

strad
255
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: New Videos

Post by strad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 am

i rather enjoy enthusiasm
I like enthusiasm but I don't like phony forced excitement because somebody starts an engine or pulls out of the pits.
I'd rather reserve over the top excitement for when there is really something to be excited over. All the screaming wears on me and really reduces my enjoyment.
I have spoken to many who kill the volume on the TV to shut them up.
That said you if enjoy the SKY broadcasts that's fine. Different strokes and all that.
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

Capharol
18
User avatar
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Re: New Videos

Post by Capharol » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 am

strad wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 am
i rather enjoy enthusiasm
I like enthusiasm but I don't like phony forced excitement because somebody starts an engine or pulls out of the pits.
I'd rather reserve over the top excitement for when there is really something to be excited over. All the screaming wears on me and really reduces my enjoyment.
I have spoken to many who kill the volume on the TV to shut them up.
That said you if enjoy the SKY broadcasts that's fine. Different strokes and all that.
well believe me Crofty, Ted & Co. are 1000x better then what they have in Germany or even on Dutch TV
Strive for continuous improvement, instead of perfection.

NathanOlder
112
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: New Videos

Post by NathanOlder » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am

strad wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 am
i rather enjoy enthusiasm
I like enthusiasm but I don't like phony forced excitement because somebody starts an engine or pulls out of the pits.
I'd rather reserve over the top excitement for when there is really something to be excited over. All the screaming wears on me and really reduces my enjoyment.
I have spoken to many who kill the volume on the TV to shut them up.
That said you if enjoy the SKY broadcasts that's fine. Different strokes and all that.
You obviously never watched the UK coverage through the James Allen times. Like I was originally saying, James Allen in 1000x more loud and shouty that Crofty,

as I said, If you don't like Crofty, just count yourself lucky that you didnt have to listen to Allen.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Just_a_fan
436
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: New Videos

Post by Just_a_fan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Yeah, James Allen was the pits as far as commentary goes. Dreadful, truly dreadful.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools."

strad
255
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: New Videos

Post by strad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Nathan I wasn't clear I guess.
I don't like for anyone to use that style of commentating. James Allen or anyone else. Walker used to wear on me as well.
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

cplchanb
2
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Re: New Videos

Post by cplchanb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:19 am

strad wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:33 pm
Nathan I wasn't clear I guess.
I don't like for anyone to use that style of commentating. James Allen or anyone else. Walker used to wear on me as well.
i would be interested in seeing what example clips of commentators you prefer....

strad
255
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: New Videos

Post by strad » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 am

I would like the last crew we had here in the U.S. but I would exchange Hobbs for Brundle.
I would add Varsha in place of Leigh Diffey or even both. I quite like Varsha as he always studied intensely and I never noticed the problem someone mentioned about him mispronouncing names.
The old SpeedVision crew would do nicely.
Anyone who didn't scream as if everything was as exciting as championship winning score in soccer would be an improvement.
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

Morteza
1632
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: New Videos

Post by Morteza » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:26 am

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza
1632
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: New Videos

Post by Morteza » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:45 am

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare