2019 Aerodynamic Changes & Solutions

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PhillipM

Re: 2019 Aerodynamic Loop holes

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 01:16
Less cryptic clues, more detailed discussion. This is a technical forum, not a crossword site... :wink:
With the wider wings sitting further out over the tyres, it's possible to use the kinked rear endplates as aero surfaces to clean up and manage the rear tyre wake. Or even use them for downforce/diffuser linking that stalls when the rear ride height drops and the tyre gets closer at high speeds, although I don't think there will be enough area close enough to the tyres to do that.

godlameroso

astracrazy wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 17:21
Some teams did come out towards the end of the season and say they had to re-configure there targets for next year based on rumours in the paddock. I guess there is a chance that the rumours were of a loophole and not just other teams DF levels.
godlameroso wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 15:15
The retraction is much bigger for next year, enough that it can be a true aero surface.
Which part do you mean? Sorry.
Circled in red. Wouldn't call it a loophole, but it does offer some interesting design possibilities.

For instance, the retraction could be made to enhance the brake duct winglets via the same mechanism that merges the diffuser upwash with the rear wing. This could be used to manage the shear turbulence caused by the spinning rear wheels which are spinning counter to the incoming airflow.
Last edited by godlameroso on 13 Jan 2019, 18:00, edited 2 times in total.
Saishū kōnā

f1rules

godlameroso

The bargeboards are moving forward 150mm for 2019, does that mean that the part shown is moving 150mm away from the floor, or that it's going to be 150mm longer and closer to the front wheels?

If there's more surface area where I have painted, then there's huge scope there for development. Whoever gets this area right will have a big advantage.

If my interpretation is correct body work will be allowed where I have painted according to

3.4.4 Exclusion volume around the front wheels
In plan view, there must be no bodywork in the area enclosed by the intersection of the
following lines:
a) A longitudinal line parallel to and 1000mm from the car centre plane.
b) A transverse line 450mm forward of the front wheel centre plane.
c) A diagonal line running rearwards and outwards, from a point 875mm forward of the
front wheel centre line and 250mm from the car centre plane, at an angle of 28° to the
car centre plane.
d) A transverse line 875mm forward of the front wheel centre plane.
e) A longitudinal line parallel to and 165mm from the car centre plane.
f) A diagonal line running forwards and inwards, from a point 430mm rearward of the
front wheel centre line and 240mm from the car centre plane, at an angle of 4.5° to the
car centre plane.
g) A diagonal line from 430mm rearward of the front wheel centre line and 240mm from
the car centre plane to 550mm forward of the plane C-C and 1000mm from the car
centre plane.

3.5.6 Bargeboard height
No bodywork which, in plan view, is in the area enclosed by the intersection of the following
lines may be more than 350mm above the reference plane :
a) A longitudinal line parallel to and 800mm from the car centre plane.
b) A diagonal line running rearwards and outwards, from a point 430mm rearward of the
front wheel centre line and 240mm from the car centre plane, at an angle of 4.5° to the
car centre plane.
c) A transverse line 430mm rearward of the front wheel centre plane.
d) A line running through a point 625mm forward of the plane C-C and 320mm from the
car centre plane, running parallel to the diagonal line defined in Article 3.5.5(c).

Also, that upper wing in the 1st picture seems to be banned by 3.5.5.

3.5.5 Exclusion volume ahead of the sidepods

d) A diagonal line running rearwards and outwards, from a point 625mm forward of the
plane C-C and 320mm from the car centre plane, at an angle of 75° to the car centre
plane.

So in conclusion, according to the rules you have complete freedom in the painted red area as long as it doesn't violate the height box. This is huge in my opinion.
Saishū kōnā

jjn9128

Unless I'm being a bit blind (not uncommon) I cannot see any difference in the actual wording of the 2018 and 2019 regs for the length of the bargeboards. The height this year is 350mm not 475mm... but otherwise the exclusion zone
and rules for filling the bargeboard volume remains the same.

Red is 2018, blue is 2019.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

gandharva

Matthew Somerfield made a good article on this topic last week:
http://www.somersf1.co.uk/2019/01/hello ... anges.html

The regulations surrounding the leading edge of the sidepods and bargeboards have also been adjusted, as the height of the bargeboards have been scaled back to 350mm, from 475mm. Meanwhile, you’ll note the box region in which they can be placed has been tidied up too, allowing a closer placement to the chassis.

To further limit the geometrical trickery used to design the sidepods and its associated aerodynamic paraphernalia you’ll also note that the green box region marked 3.5.4 has been tidied up too.

Considering the huge cutback in height, I'd say it's alot less space now then it was in 2018.

godlameroso

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 18:55
Unless I'm being a bit blind (not uncommon) I cannot see any difference in the actual wording of the 2018 and 2019 regs for the length of the bargeboards. The height this year is 350mm not 475mm... but otherwise the exclusion zone
and rules for filling the bargeboard volume remains the same.

https://qz1mqw.by.files.1drv.com/y4m3kB ... pmode=none
Red is 2018, blue is 2019.

This video confirms the extended bargeboard footplate length.
Saishū kōnā

jjn9128

godlameroso wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 20:28
Not to be contrarian but I'm going off the definitive wording of the regulations rather than an animation made before the regs were finalized. I made the image I posted myself using the 2 rulebooks.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

godlameroso

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 21:05
godlameroso wrote:
Not to be contrarian but I'm going off the definitive wording of the regulations rather than an animation made before the regs were finalized. I made the image I posted myself using the 2 rulebooks.
That's an official video from Formula1 itself.
Saishū kōnā

Big Mangalhit

godlameroso wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 22:17
jjn9128 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 21:05
godlameroso wrote:
Is it? i can t open, it's blocked by FOM

jjn9128

Big Mangalhit wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 14:40
Is it? i can t open, it's blocked by FOM
Yeah you have to follow the link to youtube. F1 is protective of it's content which I guess is understandable.
godlameroso wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 22:17
Again not to be contrarian but it's a video from June last year when the rules were still being discussed between the teams, FOM, and FIA - the final definitive wording of the regs was only released in December (there was a copy released in October but there have been some changes/clarifications since).
#aerogandalf

hollus

Even if it was a new one, those videos are often behind real life by a few weeks.
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan

The videos are also aimed at the non-technical F1 fan. They are not a statement of fact.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shakeman

godlameroso wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 17:22

So in conclusion, according to the rules you have complete freedom in the painted red area as long as it doesn't violate the height box. This is huge in my opinion.
Nice analysis of the rules but this wouldn't be classed as a loophole though would it? I realise this might not be what you're suggesting either and it's a regular opportunity for development as defined by the rules.

godlameroso

Maybe the part of the car that will affect performance the most since the other aero devices have become so limited. In my opinion, so take with a sack of salt, any development potential for the front or rear wings centers around consistency in yaw. The bargeboards are now the device tasked with sealing the floor, in other words what the front wing used to do is now done entirely by the bargeboard and floor interaction. That change in philosophy is what I feel could shake up the grid, and probably what Toto Wolff is fearing.

Others here assure me I'm seeing things, but I'm not so sure.

The main challenge around the new regulations is using the nose to guide as much air as possible to the bargeboards, the lower height gives less chance to "catch" airflow, however being moved forward gives more surface area for the floor sealing wing elements. It also allows the teams an easier time maintaining the integrity of the Y250 vortex.

I wonder if we'll see even more vortex generators at the upper edge of the bargeboards.
Saishū kōnā