McLaren MCL34 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
charliesmithhd

Re: McLaren MCL34 speculation thread

PhillipM wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 23:47
LM10 wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 23:30
I’m sure that none of what’s seen on this picture will be on the car eventually. Why would they show even one piece of the new car at this stage?
Kinda looks like someone took a W09 and blended the McL nose and new rear wing onto it tbh.
This is a concept by the way (made by me)

trinidefender

charliesmithhd wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 23:56
PhillipM wrote:
LM10 wrote:
I’m sure that none of what’s seen on this picture will be on the car eventually. Why would they show even one piece of the new car at this stage?
Kinda looks like someone took a W09 and blended the McL nose and new rear wing onto it tbh.
Well that explains a lot. Guess I'll go delete my post then. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see an air box like that

Dipesh1995

charliesmithhd wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 23:56
PhillipM wrote:
LM10 wrote:
:lol: I thought it was a sneak peak at the real car #-o

mwillems

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 17:44
mwillems wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 15:34
godlameroso wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 02:29

What piece of bodywork is between the front wheels and the sidepods, answer, bargeboards, exactly what I've been saying since MARCH of 2018. I even made a thread in the aero section.
hahahaha

Listen, you were as wrong as you were right. Plenty of people, myself included, were arguing since June that this was a chassis problem that was causing the Aero to be so rubbish. So we were also correct. As correct as you in fact.....!

You said Bageboard area (Correct) and aero fix (Wrong, would never work).
We said Chassis problem (Correct) and wherever else (Wrong).

For me I'm not that technical, but it was clear from the information coming from different places within Mclaren that this was not a straight forward aero issue and was related to correlation that was not replicated in the wind tunnel. In fact there is a post somewhere where I state specifically that this issue appears to be due to on track behaviour of the car that caused the aero to degrade in performance, and I said that fairly early. But I guessed this to be suspension, from the information around. Someone suggested pitch and yaw, others said rear suspension (me).

Perhaps a bit more open mindedness from all sides would have merged those two notions together of BB and chassis and worked out the flaw.
Whatever helps you sleep at night
Alrighty then... glad you have a sense of perspective! #-o

In any case, you fixated on aero parts being wrong, requiring fixes etc completely. Your ability to spot the area was fantastic, but none the less, you ruled out any causation bar aero parts.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

charliesmithhd

Here is the original, couldn't be asked to add sponsors so I just added the gradient
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxHViANV4AY3TaH.jpg:large

NathanOlder

Reading in various places now that the photo being discussed here was uploaded as the background of Mclarens Official Facebook page. And that it could have given away that Coca Cola have sponsored Mclaren as the original link you posted had Coca Cola on it. You now say you couldn't be asked (I guess you mean Arsed?) To put sponsors on it , yet you have Coca Cola on the rear wing earlier. Hmm....
Last edited by NathanOlder on 17 Jan 2019, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

charliesmithhd

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 15:01
Reading in various places now that the photo being discussed here was uploaded as the background of Mclarens Official Facebook page. And that it could have given away that Coca Cola have sponsored Mclaren. #-o
I think a McLaren fan page used my image (without consent) and some people thought that the fan page was the official page :/

NathanOlder

charliesmithhd wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 15:03
NathanOlder wrote:
Reading in various places now that the photo being discussed here was uploaded as the background of Mclarens Official Facebook page. And that it could have given away that Coca Cola have sponsored Mclaren. #-o
I think a McLaren fan page used my image (without consent) and some people thought that the fan page was the official page :/
So now you are just covering your tracks and you work for Mclaren and you made a boo boo :lol: =D>

Coca Cola Mclaren Renault. Sounds good, Thanks.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

charliesmithhd

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 15:06
charliesmithhd wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 15:03
NathanOlder wrote:
So now you are just covering your tracks and you work for Mclaren and you made a boo boo :lol: =D>

Coca Cola Mclaren Renault. Sounds good, Thanks.
I wish I worked for them lol, here is the model I used https://www.artstation.com/artwork/roJqa
I couldn't use the top-down view as the floor looked too bad

NathanOlder

Going a fair way to throw me off. We will see... if coca cola is on the rear wing. Then we will know if your telling porkies.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

charliesmithhd

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 15:12
Going a fair way to throw me off. We will see... if coca cola is on the rear wing. Then we will know if your telling porkies.
gonna do another one, but side on this time :)

NathanOlder

charliesmithhd wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 15:13
NathanOlder wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 15:12
gonna do another one, but side on this time :)
Ok. This time put Pepsi on it to counter the Coca Cola argument.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-d ... -2019-car/

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/29487/mc ... -deal.html
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

M840TR

ESPImperium

Personally, in regard to livery and sponsorship of the team with Coca Cola. The way i see it, Coca Cola will sponsor with Coke Zero and its water brand with Coke Zero appearing on the rear wing with a black and white livery. The front wing end plates id suggest will have the Dasani brand with other brands locally taking its place in the case of the UK with Abbey Well and Schweppes in some European countries.

Last years contract for the last 8 or so races was worth around $5m to the team with $4.2m in cash and $800k in technical supplies. Technical Supplies are where the MTC had all its vending machines only sell Coca Cola group brand products and the race team only have Coca Cola branded items in its paddock areas.

This new contract, if secured, could be worth almost 3 times more in the 2019 season, so id suggest $12.5m in cash and $2.5m technical. From what i have heard, McLaren have been working hard and have some more sponsorship this year. Even if last years car was a dog, there was encouragement that the team had reached its lowest, the team will now move forward now. All they need is a good, consistent and trouble free pre season.

Lucky

At the moment only Toro Rosso had officialized to have passed the 2019 tests, but as far as Motorsport.com is concerned, McLaren in Cranfield would have had the federal ok to the body that should re-launch the fate of the Woking team after a disastrous season.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... t/4325682/