General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mzso

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

LM10 wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 11:38
I don’t really think there’s a limit. It’s just a question of innovation. The best engineers in the world push each other 24/7. This is how you achieve new heights.
So you're saying if they keep pushing they'll reach infinite power and more...

Capharol

mzso wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 16:03
LM10 wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 11:38
I don’t really think there’s a limit. It’s just a question of innovation. The best engineers in the world push each other 24/7. This is how you achieve new heights.
which we all know, even as 10 year old kids.... you CAN'T travel (move) faster then light and there is a restiction on physic because gravity plays a role in it aswell, so again .... as long there are rules, there are limits to everything we know earthly

but lets get back to topic

LM10

mzso wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 16:03
No, I'm not.

Capharol wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 16:14
which we all know, even as 10 year old kids.... you CAN'T travel (move) faster then light and there is a restiction on physic because gravity plays a role in it aswell, so again .... as long there are rules, there are limits to everything we know earthly

Thank you for teaching me physics.

What about rule bending? Did you watch last season when even the FIA needed months and several sensors to fully understand what Ferrari was doing?

Capharol

LM10 wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 18:41
Capharol wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 16:14

Thank you for teaching me physics.

What about rule bending? Did you watch last season when even the FIA needed months and several sensors to fully understand what Ferrari was doing?
and what did FIA do? correct they put a extra sensor to see if it was within the rule... sorry to be stubborn on this part, but the discussion was "what is possible on power" and i stand by my words that as long as there are rules there are limits, and that these limits can only broken if the rules changes

Espresso

HondaRaceReplica wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 13:58
I don't think that Red Bull will be as helpful as you think when it comes to the mapping aspect of Tunning the PU...at best they will help Honda in identifying and modifying certain parameters at various tracks due to different characteristics on said tracks...Plain and Simple Honda design and map their Power Unit..You can't expect much from Aero experts when it comes to engine tunning and if that where the case Red Bull would have designed and manufactured their own engine a long long time ago...This is not you average Honda engine that you modify and tune at the Speed Shop but a state of the art piece of machinery and assuming that some random engineer from Red Bull will help map it is quite ludicrous actually...
That's as bit of an underestimation. Red Bull F1 is more then only aero experts.
Looks to me the cooperation between Honda & Red Bull will grow even more from a solid teamwork at current. Both parties are giving and taking to find the best mutual solution.

...so warpback into time as example. STR already give input in regard to mapping. I'v a hunch Red Bull will give input. Both parties have 1 goal in mind, they want te become world champion. Let's see what comes out of Milton Keynes Building 9
....Tost reckoned the new Honda partnership was "the first time" his team had this much input on the engine side, and said Toro Rosso engineers were relishing the freedoms they had in setting up the power unit.

"You should have seen the smiling faces of the engineers when they came back from dyno run with the gearbox and the power unit," Tost said.

"They said, 'Hey, we could change the mappings during the running'.

"Before, we got the mappings, everything was in a black box and we couldn't do anything. Even if we said 'maybe this is better' they said 'take it and that's it'....
Autosport March 18th 2018
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Tzk
Tzk

LM10 wrote:
I‘d guess that the limit is called carnot cycle efficiency ;) you can‘t raise the exhaust gas temperature infinitely and the intake temperature is limited to ambient. Thus maximum achievable power is also limited.

So currently the only question is how far they can push a) total efficiency through mgu-h and -k as well as b) the fuel.

Alexf1

etusch wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 10:39
If these news are true we are going to see a very good season as 3 team will fight for the title
Already HRD Sakura has almost completed RA 619 H, and it is said that it exerts a considerably high performance. In addition to securing reliability, there is also information that the output is further extended from spec 3. It is said that the remarks such as "closer to 2 strongly", "targeting the title" and so on from Red Bull side are not simply optimism but received data from Honda.
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/smart/c ... /index.php

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/2099 ... try8626899
Noticed especially in the Japanese article the mentioning of Honda starting oil burning in a qualifying mode as of 2019. (Used a different translator machine which came up with the term qualifying mode instead of google translate prelimenary mode). That could being down the qualifying gap a lot

etusch

Alexf1 wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 14:35
etusch wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 10:39
If these news are true we are going to see a very good season as 3 team will fight for the title
Already HRD Sakura has almost completed RA 619 H, and it is said that it exerts a considerably high performance. In addition to securing reliability, there is also information that the output is further extended from spec 3. It is said that the remarks such as "closer to 2 strongly", "targeting the title" and so on from Red Bull side are not simply optimism but received data from Honda.
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/smart/c ... /index.php

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/2099 ... try8626899
Noticed especially in the Japanese article the mentioning of Honda starting oil burning in a qualifying mode as of 2019. (Used a different translator machine which came up with the term qualifying mode instead of google translate prelimenary mode). That could being down the qualifying gap a lot
After fia let it by saying "?? Lt per ?? Km" oil burning allowed, not to use it not logical. But I can not trust fia

Alexf1

Building an oil burning system shouldn't be too hard for Honda. Found this "how to" on youtube: https://youtu.be/l0SNaGX1fWQ

Now all they need to do is build an extra oil tank with 2 functions to avoid the 2019 sole purpose auxillary oil tank rule

turbof1

Updated first post to reflect red bull as official customer.
#AeroFrodo

Capharol

turbof1 wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:09
Updated first post to reflect red bull as official customer.
=D>

mzso

Alexf1 wrote:
Huh. I wasn't aware that the qualifying mode mainly meant oil burning in practice.

Sieper

From simply using a more aggressive mapping and using 100% of the capacity from the engine (but building up too much / surplus heat so not useable for a longer period). But I agree that oil burning must play a role in this as well, why else have the regulations never outlawed this effectively now for the 5th year running. Would be great if Honda has the overcapacity to also be on board with this.

Alexf1

Maybe the Austin upgrade to the Honda spec 3.2 engine featuring upgraded pistons was to test hardware for a 2019 party mode

mzso

Capharol wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 02:30
mzso wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 17:02
Alexf1 wrote:
Huh. I wasn't aware that the qualifying mode mainly meant oil burning in practice.
where do you think the extra power comes from?
Driving the engines harder than normal despite negative effects on longevity