Renault F1 Team R.(S.)19 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Renault F1 Team R.(S.)19 speculation thread

"I do believe that this car is that of a team under construction. We did not fully express ourselves, we did not put all our ideas, for lack of time rather than means. I give you a specific example: when Pete Machin (aero manager) joined us last year, he obviously observed the car 2017, then the changes we had planned. Then he looked very quickly at the car of 2018 and immediately he spotted specific items that were unsuitable. And among them, some had already been fixed, the calculations were already frozen. Indeed, we started in October 2016, because the construction programs of an F1 are so complex today that we are forced to work earlier and earlier. There are, in fact, elements that are not modifiable en route. Second example: the gearbox. This is our first carbon. We have not been able to put all the innovations that are available to us as we speak, these innovations which McLaren has"
"I think it's hard for us in winter to produce a car that lives up to our expectations for the start of the season and there's a reason for that, but I'm sure we'll be able to make progress in this area as well. coming years."

"We are far behind in terms of production and we have difficulties developing a car that is immediately at the level of our expectations. One of the reasons for this is at the level of our production infrastructure, we are slower. "
"The problem is that we have to produce a car with this level of sophistication, and we need a very integrated model, not like Force India or Haas, which, without being controversial, is a different model. to become a high-tech team, and we need integrated development, which takes time to build space, infrastructure, and the world, and that will be our next step. "
Cyril Abiteboul back in March 2018.

carisi2k

Re: Renault F1 Team R.(S.)19 speculation thread

1. Will Renault be better off only supplying 2 teams in 2019.
2. Can the RS19 and Danny ric clear them from the mid field battle and possibly to some high end results at Monaco, Hungary and Singapore?
3. Is the new power unit really as good as suggested or just more hot air from Cyril?
4. Can the Renault be competitive and reliable?
5. Will they be competitive in comparison to Red Bull?

These questions need answering before any speculation can properly be had although they should at least stay in fourth position in the championship.

FrukostScones

We have to remember that they hired that FIA Budkowski guy who knows all other teams secrets...
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13562 ... th-renault

I think Renault will be definitely have a better car... with trick suspension knowledge the aerodynamics should work better, with the carbon gearbox better understood and maybe more development time this car could be a real contender... (and if the PU rumors are not just talk...)
Also with the motivational pull of RIC's arrival at the team, I hope we can see some surprised faces in Melbourne 2019.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ME4ME

That is the first and about the only quote this year from Abiteboul that I can respect and find interesting. Open and to-the-point.

I do believe there is a lot of low hanging fruit that Renault can get to quickly. At times they had a good car this year. Next year is only going to be better and I believe they'll take a step towards the top teams in 2019. Although expensive, Ricciardo is going to energize the team with his presence so that will be well worth it. Renault will undoubtably have the best driver pair of the midfield and not far off the top teams either. Ricciardo and Hulkenberg should be able be exected to finish between 6th and 8th consistently. The off-weekends must disappear.

Big Tea

FrukostScones wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 14:28
We have to remember that they hired that FIA Budkowski guy who knows all other teams secrets...
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13562 ... th-renault

I think Renault will be definitely have a better car... with trick suspension knowledge the aerodynamics should work better, with the carbon gearbox better understood and maybe more development time this car could be a real contender... (and if the PU rumors are not just talk...)
Also with the motivational pull of RIC's arrival at the team, I hope we can see some surprised faces in Melbourne 2019.
He not only knows what other teams presented, but why they were rejected. There will probably be avenues worth persuading that only need a tweak to be acceptable.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Blackout

Another insider who says Renault has made big gains
https://youtu.be/Uu5IgVB9dUk?t=162
"They know that Renault have made significant gains over this winter with the power unit side, in all areas of the power unit side"

And the aero problems he's talking about seem to be quite similar te the ones Renault had in 2018... and both cars have classic and not-swept-backaward and high sidepods... They even have/had an "aerocat" shaped sidepod deflector, amongst some other aero similarities...

Godius

Is the exhaust position fixed in the 2019 regulations? The RS18 ran with an 5° exhaust angle in order to aid RW-blowing. I think the rear of the RS19 will be quite different.

miguelbento

Godius wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 10:30
Is the exhaust position fixed in the 2019 regulations? The RS18 ran with an 5° exhaust angle in order to aid RW-blowing. I think the rear of the RS19 will be quite different.
That area of the regulations remains unchanged for 2019.

Morteza

Renault: Power steering only part kept in all-new 2019 design
“It is always challenging to get a car with thousands and thousands of parts, and the only thing we carried over from last year’s car is the power steering,” said Budkowski, when asked by Motorsport.com about progress with the 2019 car.

“That gives you an idea that all the rest [of the car] is changing, and it is changing because we are trying to squeeze more performance from every area.

“It is a big effort to do everything from scratch, plus the [new] regulations, but it is a performance goal. The later you leave it, the more performance you have, but the more stressful it is to get it out on time.”

“We are very optimistic on the engine side, but the engine side is like the chassis side, it is never finished until you actually close the engine that is going to go to the first race,” added Budkowski.

“It is very promising in terms of performance, but we still have to dot the i’s and cross the t’s in terms of reliability and durability, which we are doing now in Viry.

“We are still working on the engines that will start the year, and in the end performance and reliability is a trade-off. You can extract more performance from any engine, but it might not last the number of races and numbers of sessions you want to.

“So we have to see where that cursor stops in terms of performance versus reliability, but we are optimistic.”
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

turbof1

Today is the launch, scheduled around 11:30 UK time (12:30 CET). At that time, this topic will close. As soon as we have official media material, we'll post it in the official car topic and unlock that one. Please have patience in that small window of time, we are on the case! We recommend keeping a close eye on their official media channels:
https://www.instagram.com/renaultsportf1/?hl=en
https://twitter.com/RenaultF1Team
https://www.renaultsport.com/-Formule-1-330-.html
#AeroFrodo

CLKGTR

Interesting slot at the edge of the front wing mainplane...

turbof1

CLKGTR wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 13:08

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... XF1net.jpg
Quite interesting (if this is the real deal, that is). Note that they are perfectly allowed do to so, as long as only has longitudinal 5 slots. It's good reasoning, as this is flow close in ground effect and thus might need more slots in that area to keep the flow better attached. I suspect (but could be totally wrong) that they did something similar inboard on the Y250 tips:
#AeroFrodo

Tattoo-

CLKGTR wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 13:08
This is just generic 3D model, that Motorsport.com uses for every new team presentation! :wink:

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1 ... 0463747072
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

Thunder

Ok i will close the speculation Thread now since the official R. S. 19 Launch is about to happen.

The Car Thread will be opened once we have official Material to post, so there could be a few Minutes overlap with no active Car Thread. Of course we try to keep that Window as small as possible. So please bear with us.

Also please refrain from using the Team Thread as a makeshift Car Thread, it will only be a few Minutes until we collect Pictures and put them in our Gallery. Use this Time to sample your thoughts and post quality content. :mrgreen:

Car Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27913
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum