2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso
312
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by godlameroso » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:36 am

FPV GTHO wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 am
godlameroso wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:43 pm
By the second week of testing we'll know if whether Red Bull has a fighting chance in hell or not. If they're within .3 or even .5 on the long runs, they'll be in reasonable shape to catch up. If it's more than that, they'll have their work cut out for them.

Last year they were within .5 on the long runs and won races, I expect similar performance with a similar gap.
I don't think it's long run pace holding them back. They need qualifying pace with the higher powered engine modes.
I do, in fact that has up to now, been Honda's greatest weakness as a power unit. Well it was weak everywhere until the last quarter of last year. They seem to have unlocked some one lap pace, however I still think they'll need some more to get the long run pace of the others. The bottlenecks are a mixture of reliability and efficiency that will come from exploiting the ERS with the extra power. Improving the combustion process yields not just improvements in power and efficiency, but also allows more ERS recovery and deployment as well.

However since the regulations force you to transfer that energy via indirect means, they by extension require unconventional thinking.

Let me put it this way, suppose the engine naked by itself with the fuel restrictions could produce maximum around 700hp (+-40hp by building an engineering masterpiece or mediocre dud) where does the other 300hp come from? Answer, the ERS. 160hp comes from the MGU-K, we all know that. However that leaves the math short, MGU-K + ICE = 860hp only. Where's the other give or take 100hp? The MGU-H of course(however the MGU-H is only good for about 80hp or so), but you say, the MGU-H doesn't propel the car that's ludicrous. I say it does, just not directly, remember the engine is being robbed of power to produce boost pressure from the turbo. If the MGU-H takes up the power needed to drive the turbo, that power is freed from having to spin the turbo and can instead spin the crankshaft. (the turbo is in essence driving the pistons by controlling the airflow being combusted, and thus has a fluid coupling with the drivetrain)

If Honda could develop their extra harvest(due to better efficiency from the ICE) they could maximize this extra power for longer periods, right now they can only do it for a qualifying lap because there is no restriction on fuel level, or requirement to have the battery last for multiple laps.

Honda's aim for the season is to develop the power unit so that fuel efficiency and reliablity improve so they can run the max power mode for longer, while getting closer to that max theoretical 740hp from the ICE. With improved ICE efficiency they can afford to burn more fuel to get more harvesting from the MGU-H. This opens the doors to new strategies with how to harvest with the MGU-H, how long wastegates can be opened, or how much in order to harvest enough energy for continuous running.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

GPR -A
79
User avatar
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by GPR -A » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 am

ME4ME wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 pm
Regardless, you handily swirl around the point I was making that Red Bull-Renaults issues started well in advance of Renault getting their own team. Can you admit and agree to that?
You cherry picked one part of my original post, which was a reply to @caris2k and now you are surprised if I did the same? :)
I actually agree with your point about RB Renault issues. In fact, I am sure there are a lot more reasons than what I or you think are primary reasons for the sourness of their relationship, which we may or may not have paid attention to OR which might not even be available in public domain.

jagunx51
81
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:06 am

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by jagunx51 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10 am

probably "more" white on the car?

............!!!!

Squid
42
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by Squid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:14 am

jagunx51 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10 am
probably "more" white on the car?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtwBZ47HzgU ... _copy_link
Don't hold your breath for it. The RB14's logo also had a thick white border.

etusch
79
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by etusch » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 am

Squid wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:14 am
jagunx51 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10 am
probably "more" white on the car?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtwBZ47HzgU ... _copy_link
Don't hold your breath for it. The RB14's logo also had a thick white border.
This time they use white a bit more. Arter seeing helmet designs and then this it is expectable.

dxpetrov
-11
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by dxpetrov » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:17 am

Blue hue seems different as well.

HPD
332
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by HPD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Just_a_fan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:56 pm
I can see teams being cagey in testing. Simulators let them know their performance so they don't need to be entirely representative at the test days. Australia will let us know...
Look at the tests of 2018. Almost every day we had Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull in the first places.
It will give us an idea of ​​the hierarchical order.

HiddenIncome_
2
User avatar
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by HiddenIncome_ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:59 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by HiddenIncome_ on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
441
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by Just_a_fan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:02 pm

RedBull decided to crash Mercedes' launch / shake down with their own. Should be using opposite ends of the circuit though I don't which is using which end.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

etusch
79
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by etusch » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm

After seeing second car with no big changes, I am expecting to see more (almost) same looking cars. It looks like every car will have same sidepod inlets. I wonder if there a different design and still I wonder Redbull car.

gandharva
215
User avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: Munich

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by gandharva » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 pm


Morteza
1698
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by Morteza » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Do we know when they are going to unveil their new car?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

TNTHead
3
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by TNTHead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:39 pm

the rumour is at 14.00 gmt

Sieper
47
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by Sieper » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:40 pm

15:00 CET I heared

GhostF1
112
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post by GhostF1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:00 pm