2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

mclaren111 wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 10:41
Can't believe Mclaren is not doing a shakedown before testing tomorrow... #-o #-o

Expect low mileage tomorrow... :( :(
I believe it’s a strategic decision and the 2 film days will be better utilised before the start of Melbourne

Given the unprecedented access to the car given to Autosport at launch (have you ever seen a reporter allowed to walk around an F1 car before with a tv camera?, let alone before it has even gone testing) I suspect McLaren have many upgrades waiting in the pipeline, and what we saw was merely the concept of what is to come

These updates are still being finalised/produced so not worth wasiting filming day now when they need it later for evaluation purposes

Also, it’s not like the Honda area, we know the Renault engine works as we’ve even it in the back of the Renault, and it’s not like last year when McLaren had to rush the instillation of an engine that was unknown to them so it’s highly unlikely they will encounter over-heating issues again, especially given the what appears to be quite conservative cooling at present which I suspect will be slimed down before Aus

mclaren111

Also true...

Ground Effect

Re: McLaren MCL34

restless wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 09:16
RonDennis wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 20:04
wesley123 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 11:39

They also said that the 2017 car was one of the best on the grid. We all saw how that turned out
That’s because the 2018 car was flawed, not because of how bad the 2017 chassis was. Do some research or keep quiet.
Really? Flawed?
They realized that mid-year, only because other teams with same engine were far ahead
After pre-season testing all we were hearing was "car handles great, podiums ahead"
Given this record of understanding whats going on, noone can claim MCL32 was best on the grid.
Stop writing fairy tales or keep quiet
You actually just have to look at the performance, especially in qualifying. The MCL32 was a decent car, not the best, but decent. They were, at least Fernando, more consistent in Q3. They were strong in Barcelona, Monaco, Hungary, USA, Brazil. There's really no correlation between the MCL32 and the MCL33, just because the latter was crap, doesn't mean the former was as well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ALO_Power

No matter what's going on with the engine, a shakedown is always useful to see if everything is working (even chassis/packaging wise).

lio007

There will be no shakedown today:

wesley123

RonDennis wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 22:33
Interesting that several people spent the entire year saying "McLaren's cooling create too much drag, that's why they're so slow", then comes someone from McLaren and says that it was pretty much class leading. Goes to show how many guesses are spread around as if they were the absolute true around here.
They also said that the 2017 car was one of the best on the grid. We all saw how that turned out
That’s because the 2018 car was flawed, not because of how bad the 2017 chassis was. Do some research or keep quiet.
Just like every other McLaren car since 2009. They were all in some way flawed. 2018 was down-to-earth for them.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RonDennis

restless wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 09:16
RonDennis wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Really? Flawed?
They realized that mid-year, only because other teams with same engine were far ahead
After pre-season testing all we were hearing was "car handles great, podiums ahead"
Given this record of understanding whats going on, noone can claim MCL32 was best on the grid.
Stop writing fairy tales or keep quiet
Where did I said it was the best on the grid? I'm just responding to the cheap comments that the MCL32 was crap, because of the performance of the MCL33. The chassis was actually flawed because they misculated the gap between the front tires and sidepods, which meant everything that came after this part wasn't working like they expected. Just look at the times of the 2017 chassis, at some tracks it was actually faster. But I guess that's not something you would call flawed.

taperoo2k

Capharol wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 02:25
Chuckjr wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 00:04
My gut says Fred simply did not want to run last or around last place ever again in F1. He'd rather sit at home than do that. So this test he's going to evaluate the car. If it's fast and can get in top 5 every week, Lando will enjoy a year of mentoring and tutilage in the paddock watching Fred drive his car. I don't think Fred is at all out of F1 in his mind. I think he will be right back in the car if it's fast. Looking forward to testing.
I have never seen a car from plump last going into the top 5 over a period of 3 Months, it takes time
McLaren have been working on this car for quite some time now, a lot longer than 3 months. I expect if they've got the design of the chassis correct (learned from the mistakes made on the last few cars) and the Renault PU integrated properly they should do a lot better than last year. How well ? That depends on what the other teams have done. I don't think anyone is expecting McLaren to be winning races in 2019, I'd be surprised if they do win based on the car's merits without luck or rain having a role in a win.

As for no shakedown ? I don't think it's a bad thing, get the gremlins at the tests, resolve them and then leave yourself time for a filming day before the start of the season so you can test a few things away from the prying eyes of the paddock.

charliesmithhd

If you look at mcl32 vs mcl33 sliders the distance between sidepods and tyres is slightly longer on the mcl32

_cerber1

Is it possible to test something during the shooting day? :roll:

charliesmithhd

_cerber1 wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 20:50
No aero rakes im guessing, but they can put new elements on the car, for example, Renault had a different wing and bradgeboards during their filming day and they definitely analysed the performance of those elements

the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
I think teams are free to do as they wish, but they are limited to 100km & have to run on special tyres so performance work is out the window, but I believe areo rakes are permitted

charliesmithhd

the EDGE wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 21:16
_cerber1 wrote:
I think teams are free to do as they wish, but they are limited to 100km & have to run on special tyres so performance work is out the window, but I believe areo rakes are permitted
sorry that I wasn't clear, I said that rakes won't be used as its a filming day and the marketing team wouldn't want the rakes spoiling the look of the car

the EDGE

charliesmithhd wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 21:25
the EDGE wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
sorry that I wasn't clear, I said that rakes won't be used as its a filming day and the marketing team wouldn't want the rakes spoiling the look of the car
There actually called promo days officially, and I’m sure McLarens priority would be to use the day productively making the car faster, not spend the entire day taking pretty pictures. Promo days have never been anything other than an un-official test day. I believe Ferrari started the practice back in 2010

NathanOlder

charliesmithhd wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 21:25
the EDGE wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
What if they were filming and promoting the rakes 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC