Future Of The British Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
adrianjordan

Re: Future Of The British Grand Prix

Post by adrianjordan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:46 am

Just_a_fan wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:25 pm
tinvek wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:11 pm
the question is

are we talking about loosing the british GP or losing silverstone ?

up till 1987 silverstone didn't have a monopoly on hosting the race and personally i've no great love for the place since for me it threw away it's identity the moment they started building the slow sections for 1987, so why not another track? although the donington plan failed, that was more about how they had planned to finance the track changes and being caught up in the financial crash, if a race around london's docklands could be financed, there''s no reason why the race shouldn't move there if silverstone are so adamant they can't afford it, it would certainly be better than no british gp at all
Silverstone was shafted by Bernie who, even though he's a member, seems to hate the BRDC (who used to own Silverstone). He did everything he could to mess them around and charge big money for the race. The roads around Silverstone were improved to help facilitate fans getting to and from the race too.

Silverstone is a good F1 track with proper high speed "balls out" corners that are missing at most modern "medium speed" tracks.

As for Docklands - no. We don't need yet another sporting event in London at the expense of the rest of the country. We also don't need another contrived street circuit in F1. If you had to have a street circuit in the UK, use Birmingham for its central location. Better yet, use Oxford. They hate cars in Oxford so it would be funny to watch them all implode with indignation. :lol: Actually, I could see a street course working in Oxford. There a couple of bits that are long enough and wide enough to even allow some overtaking.
Nah, let's take a leaf out of Spa's book and create a "street circuit" using countryside roads.... Image a course that included the Snake Pass!!! 😝
In 2007 I had the chance to go to a meet-and-greet with an F1 test driver. I decided not to as I didn't think he'd even amount to much...he was the BMW Sauber test driver and his name was Sebastian Vettel...

Ringleheim

Post by Ringleheim » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:38 pm

For as long as I can remember, there has been a constantly running story about how Britain may lose its GP, Silverstone specifically may lose the race to some other track, and how the folks running Silverstone are constantly trying to make the place better to appease the FIA.

What is all that about exactly? It makes no sense, especially after all the new construction work/paddock area and track reconfiguration not that long ago.

Certain countries and tracks should be declared "important cultural icons in the sport" and therefore can't be messed with easily!

Silverstone, Spa, Monaco, Monza immediately get such status. At least if I'm running the show. LOL

I cringe to think Spa or Silverstone could disappear some day, but we have to endure the f-ing race in Bahrain every year.

That ain't right!

Restomaniac

Post by Restomaniac » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:13 am

I’m so glad I’m attending and taking my lad to his first ever British GP with the doubt hanging over it.

Can anyone tell me the best place to go with a 10 year old with standard tickets please.

komninosm

Post by komninosm » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 am

screw monaco honestly