2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rogazilla
rogazilla

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Quantum wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 18:43
You have still not accepted that in the race RB were 0.7 down. Fact.
Nor that they were 0.8 down in qualifying. Fact.
You assert that in clean air a 3rd placed car racing 2nd placed car, was 0.3 a lap off a cruising lead car, 20 seconds clear of 2nd.
This is just going round and round. There are 2 different context here. Quantum, the number you provided is fastest lap of each car quali/race and RB is 0.7 down race and 0.8 down in quali.

What godlameroso's 0.3 per lap gap is avg of the race. That includes time in traffic, pit stop and all of that. A lot more variable involved and based on the gap chart above you can see VER's time track along Vettle until pit and passed VET then it tracks along with HAM. You can certainly say BOT is cruising otherwise the gap could be wider but at the end of the day over the race distance the gap is 0.3 per lap for this race. It would be different if VER was after BOT if they are both pushing to the end but what happened in this race, this instance it is 0.3 per lap for the race. In the hybrid era,who can run the quali pace the entire race?!

This formula makes outright pace of the car and the pace over the race distance quite different. Take human factor out, the V10 or V8 Era you have the outright power of the ICE and as fuel burns off the car gets faster and faster but the ICE output is constant (more or less). However we know that's not the same in hybrid era. godlameroso is simply presenting this in different context. Just different way to look at the data. slice and dice how you want but it provide some insight while the opinion is different from yours.

Quantum

rogazilla wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 19:02
Quantum wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 18:43
You have still not accepted that in the race RB were 0.7 down. Fact.
Nor that they were 0.8 down in qualifying. Fact.
You assert that in clean air a 3rd placed car racing 2nd placed car, was 0.3 a lap off a cruising lead car, 20 seconds clear of 2nd.
This is just going round and round. There are 2 different context here. Quantum, the number you provided is fastest lap of each car quali/race and RB is 0.7 down race and 0.8 down in quali.

What godlameroso's 0.3 per lap gap is avg of the race. That includes time in traffic, pit stop and all of that. A lot more variable involved and based on the gap chart above you can see VER's time track along Vettle until pit and passed VET then it tracks along with HAM. You can certainly say BOT is cruising otherwise the gap could be wider but at the end of the day over the race distance the gap is 0.3 per lap for this race. It would be different if VER was after BOT if they are both pushing to the end but what happened in this race, this instance it is 0.3 per lap for the race. In the hybrid era,who can run the quali pace the entire race?!

This formula makes outright pace of the car and the pace over the race distance quite different. Take human factor out, the V10 or V8 Era you have the outright power of the ICE and as fuel burns off the car gets faster and faster but the ICE output is constant (more or less). However we know that's not the same in hybrid era. godlameroso is simply presenting this in different context. Just different way to look at the data. slice and dice how you want but it provide some insight while the opinion is different from yours.
I'm in complete agreement that no car is going at full tilt for the whole race. It makes no sense to do so, and given the 2 biggest limiting factors...tyres and fuel, you would end up going far slower trying to go faster because of those factors.
Fun fact? 2004 cars were 4 seconds a lap slower in Quali around this track.
Fun fact 2? 2004 GP finished 1 full minute quicker than this years GP.

The bone of contention is that Mercedes weren't stressed, had plenty of reserve and had a damaged car being dropped by it's sister machine at around a second a lap at some points.
Make no mistake Bottas drove beautifully, but Hamilton has a history of being faster. Verstappen too drove beautifully but had no answer to a car with a broken floor and rear imbalance because of it.
Verstappen had no answer though and we are told that it's difficult to overtake. Yet Verstappen did Vettel on the outside of turn 3.

In a nutshell, I hate boring seasons. Mercedes or whomever winning all the time is bad for F1. There needs to be variety and I want to see tangible signs of a classic season. I did not see much to give me hope of that on Sunday.
Avgs worked out when the race is won after 15 laps is foolhardy as it does not give indication to the performance level of either car under duress.
By that I mean Vettel Hamilton last year or Rosberg Hamilton in years previous.

I wish it was 0.3, but I'm willing to place a bet that it's double that in Bahrain despite the track being around 11% shorter time wise.
"Interplay of triads"

Sieper

Vetstappen arrived at Vettels rear with two laps old, carefully warmed up tires in theit absolute prime, Vettel was on 10 laps older tires. He then attempted it on the one place you have a chance and used both DRS zones to the full effect and still had to make a beautifull move to make it work. When he then arrived at Hamiltons tail his own tires were not in their absolute prime anymore and he was on the podium for/with Honda, no need to try it on Hamilton here. Too risky on this 14 overtakes track (this, its best ever, overtake year).

HPD

Robert Doornbos: "When Gasly had its first crash with the RB15 during the first test week, all parts had to be checked and / or replaced.
There was a bit of damage to the turbo of the engine due to the impact of the crash. At Renault they might have said: we are replacing the turbo, and through. At Honda they took no risk and immediately replaced the entire engine with a new one. No expense or effort is saved to achieve success. "

"This is of course a very pleasant way of working, and hopefully it will bring the team the reliability and speed they deserve after years of fighting a non-competitive engine against the established order of Mercedes and Ferrari."

Sayeman

I see the the "Honda has spent over 3 billion behind this PU" statement being thrown around on Reddit, not sure how true it is. For sure the whole "Size-zero" debacle cost them a lot of money since they had to redesign the PU but this figure seems to be a bit too high considering their long struggle.

I heard they were spending 150 mil a year when they were with Mclaren behind the PU development, they are saving probably another 150mil/year after the Mclaren split. So 300mil/year sounds resonanle considering they investing all that into the PU now.
Never Give up.

langedweil

Quantum wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 20:26
I wish it was 0.3, but I'm willing to place a bet that it's double that in Bahrain despite the track being around 11% shorter time wise.
Well, I’ll take you up on that ...
HuggaWugga !

JordanMugen

Sayeman wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 20:59
I heard they were spending 150 mil a year when they were with Mclaren behind the PU development, they are saving probably another 150mil/year after the Mclaren split. So 300mil/year sounds resonanle considering they investing all that into the PU now.
Source?

I think it's unlikely Honda contributed to McLaren chassis budget since Honda never received the consummate on-car branding for that.

McMika98
McMika98

Quantum wrote:
I wish it was 0.3, but I'm willing to place a bet that it's double that in Bahrain desHabev the track being around 11% shorter time wise.
Dumb statement to make. Like F1 cars remain stagnant. So Ferrai will be 1 seconds behind based on your logic? Bahrain will be a real test of the aero philosophy. Have a sneaking suspicion that the Ferrari style aero will be more quicker than the Merc.

Quantum

McMika98 wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 08:48
Quantum wrote:
Dumb statement to make. Like F1 cars remain stagnant. So Ferrai will be 1 seconds behind based on your logic? Bahrain will be a real test of the aero philosophy. Have a sneaking suspicion that the Ferrari style aero will be more quicker than the Merc.
Where did I mention Ferrari?

I'm utilising the form we've seen and extrapolated my opinion for the gap we MIGHT see in Bahrain.

Ferrari MIGHT be quicker. RB MIGHT be quicker.
But you cannot say that basing it on Oz.
That would be dumb.
"Interplay of triads"

restless
restless

JordanMugen wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 03:28
Sayeman wrote:
Source?

I think it's unlikely Honda contributed to McLaren chassis budget since Honda never received the consummate on-car branding for that.
Honda participated with ~ 100mln /year, not including PU development budget
it was discussed and proved years ago , so RAFO.

HPD

Marko: "They said I was stupid to sign with Honda, however, and as usual, I ended up being right, for example, thanks to the professionalism of the Japanese, we were able to replace the Verstappen chassis without any problem after suffering A loss of fuel in free practice Now we are ready to design the ideal car, and we can also talk with the rider to design how to do the refrigeration, for example, whereas before we had to wait for the engine to arrive and it was us who We had to adapt the car, so Honda has fulfilled all its promises, and we hope that soon there will be an evolution and that throughout the season the Japanese brand will be able to reach the level of Mercedes and Ferrari "

Espresso
Espresso

JordanMugen wrote:
Sayeman wrote:
Source?

It just shows the mentality of McLaren.
McLaren never thanked Honda for contributing to their F1 Team, for the free engines and paying Alonso's wages. Whether it was on-car branding and/or verbal bashing.
They just drained & complained Honda. And put all the blame (even there own mistakes) on Honda.

A quick Google search will find you your answers....I'll put 1 quote here:
The decision is believed to have cost McLaren as much as a net $100 million. This was thanks to it losing Honda's free engines and financial contribution,
  • Free Engines
  • Donation
  • Salary of Alonso
The cost of the engines for a customer team is 'hard to calculate'
But say $25 for the engines, $75 million for Donation and $40 ($25 +_ bonuses) for Alonso's wages...

Donations and Alonso's wages are now freed up and re-allocated to the F1 engine development.
Thus the sudden boost in engine development.

A $200-300 million a year for engine development is thus not out of the ordinary. Especially as they 'discovered' the concept is working. In line with Mercedes and Ferrari probably.

Anyhow the break-up was good for all Parties involved, except Renault.
  • McLaren, despite loosing financially they discovered their chassis sucked. And they can build on that. They might be back on the way up.
  • RBR/STR, getting a engine manufacturer they can intensively work together with
  • Honda, getting a racing team willing to work with them and exchange knowledge, material and ideas.
  • Renault, loosing 2 valuable (in there vision and unspoken) B-teams stupid enough to pay for the engines and willing to test the engines (until they break, melt, explode) to the limit with a different fuel supplier. No more comparison of fuel, oil and chassis.
The biggest winner is the combination RBR, STR & Honda. The mutual development of chassis and engine and exchange of information is boosting results for all parties involved.

Source:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14071 ... onda-split
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

dren

I think I read somewhere Mclaren had to pay Honda to break the contract early as well.
Honda!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Espresso wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
Sayeman wrote:
Source?

It just shows the mentality of McLaren.
McLaren never thanked Honda for contributing to their F1 Team, for the free engines and paying Alonso's wages. Whether it was on-car branding and/or verbal bashing.
They just drained & complained Honda. And put all the blame (even there own mistakes) on Honda.

A quick Google search will find you your answers....I'll put 1 quote here:
The decision is believed to have cost McLaren as much as a net $100 million. This was thanks to it losing Honda's free engines and financial contribution,
  • Free Engines
  • Donation
  • Salary of Alonso
The cost of the engines for a customer team is 'hard to calculate'
But say $25 for the engines, $75 million for Donation and $40 ($25 +_ bonuses) for Alonso's wages...

Donations and Alonso's wages are now freed up and re-allocated to the F1 engine development.
Thus the sudden boost in engine development.

A $200-300 million a year for engine development is thus not out of the ordinary. Especially as they 'discovered' the concept is working. In line with Mercedes and Ferrari probably.

Anyhow the break-up was good for all Parties involved, except Renault.
  • McLaren, despite loosing financially they discovered their chassis sucked. And they can build on that. They might be back on the way up.
  • RBR/STR, getting a engine manufacturer they can intensively work together with
  • Honda, getting a racing team willing to work with them and exchange knowledge, material and ideas.
  • Renault, loosing 2 valuable (in there vision and unspoken) B-teams stupid enough to pay for the engines and willing to test the engines (until they break, melt, explode) to the limit with a different fuel supplier. No more comparison of fuel, oil and chassis.
The biggest winner is the combination RBR, STR & Honda. The mutual development of chassis and engine and exchange of information is boosting results for all parties involved.

Source:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14071 ... onda-split
This is not really how the math works on this case... Honda contributed 100 Million to Mclaren in the sense of engines + cash.

If the engines were 15 million each (and Mclaren “paying” for 4 engines during the season) that was 60 Million in Engines + 40 Million Cash... The 40 Million Cash was used by Mclaren to Pay Alonso’s salary.

That’s why when the split up came, it “cost” Mclaren 100 Million, that’s what needed to come out of their pocket that they didn’t need while with Honda.

Of course the 100 Million doesn’t include whatever Honda was spending on engine development and how much that program cost them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JordanMugen

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 19:55
The 40 Million Cash was used by Mclaren to Pay Alonso’s salary.
If true, Honda got ripped off badly by McLaren by not getting name rights sponsorship for that 40 million sponsorship contribution. #-o :o