1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: 1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 20:50
I agree strad - it should be all or none. As it is, it's just another way of helping the top teams be more well funded. The guys at the back live and die by a handful of points either way so this should be open to them too.
I do think that they should have to finish to claim the point, or even finish on the same lap as the leader, just so it does not get stupid.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

I can agree with that Tea
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hollus

Well, in the last race, finishing in the lead lap would have restricted this to the top 6.
Rivals, not enemies.

Big Tea

hollus wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 19:59
Well, in the last race, finishing in the lead lap would have restricted this to the top 6.
Which is probably all the cars that had a shot of scoring it :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE

So, 3 races in... does any one think this gimmick has added an extra dimension? have you been enthralled by the entertainment it has bought, on the edge of your seat with excitement?

I'm guessing the answers a NO, right?

zac510

I like it, I'm happy for the rule to remain in place. I never thought I would be enthralled by it, but that it would just be an additional talking point throughout the race and it has so far turned out to be just that. I've even been pleasantly surprised to hear drivers talking about it on the radio, pondering going for the point. Overall it's a positive rule change that doesn't detract from winning the race, in my opinion.

Morteza

the EDGE wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 10:35
So, 3 races in... does any one think this gimmick has added an extra dimension? have you been enthralled by the entertainment it has bought, on the edge of your seat with excitement?

I'm guessing the answers a NO, right?
I literally hate it, even more so if it affects the drivers' standings. The only reason you get that point is mostly because of the fresher rubber, and so far only car from the top 3 teams have earned it which makes it even more boring (do other cars in the top 10 even have a chance?). That rule works best in spec series IMHO. The fact that RB pitted Gasly so late in the race to get that single point is ridiculous to me.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

the EDGE

zac510 wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 10:41
I like it, I'm happy for the rule to remain in place. I never thought I would be enthralled by it, but that it would just be an additional talking point throughout the race and it has so far turned out to be just that. I've even been pleasantly surprised to hear drivers talking about it on the radio, pondering going for the point. Overall it's a positive rule change that doesn't detract from winning the race, in my opinion.
Nobody even went for fastest lap in Bahrain & today Gasley was rewarded for finishing further back from the leader than he was 2 laps previous

It has failed to achieve what it set out to, and serves no purpose to anything

zac510

the EDGE wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 14:53
zac510 wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 10:41
Nobody even went for fastest lap in Bahrain & today Gasley was rewarded for finishing further back from the leader than he was 2 laps previous

It has failed to achieve what it set out to, and serves no purpose to anything
Oh right, I understand. You should have qualified your original post asking for people's opinions with "only people who agree with me can reply," just to get the full effect of glorious confirmation bias.

the EDGE

I’m not sure I understand your point

zac510

Never mind; your arguments are flawed anyway.
Nobody even went for fastest lap in Bahrain
That doesn't mean the rule is flawed, or pointless. A driver was awarded a point for it, and that point might come in handy later in the season. The drivers that did not fight for the point might come to regret not doing so. The rule has value outside of a single race because the extra point counts for the WDC. That a driver did not fight for the point does not invalidate the rule.
Gasley was rewarded for finishing further back from the leader than he was 2 laps previous
He was rewarded for completing the fastest lap. It's a separate reward system to the finish order.

Overall your argument has a typical boring pattern of perfection or fail; if the rule does not achieve an imagined perfection then it is a failure. In reality rule changes or anything man made like this are rarely, if ever perfect.

Your other points are just subjective (opinion) and I accept that you don't find any enjoyment in this rule.

the EDGE

Well thanks for the points

I thought the idea for the bonus point was to try to discourage drivers from turning the engines down towards the end of the race and add try to add a little spice to the final action.

I guess today I live & learn

skoop

To be honest, I've to admit that I like the rule.