Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Singabule

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

If you compare the ferrari cooling exit, they not enlarge it much compared to testing, so I think this is related to cooling difficiency and wrong deployment strategy. With higher downforce trim than RB, its very inefficient to manage top speed, and higher engine setting would be dangerous if the engine overheat. They can manage it before pit as the engine would be cooled down in outlap. The old medium tyres not helped them as well tk defend their position from RB, so why bother to create additional risk on PU side. The strategist call back Lec as they feel responsible for vettel issue.

dren

I wonder if they under fueled the car forcing an efficiency mode.
Honda!

erikejw

dren wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 13:06
I was thinking the same, the only way to win was a safety car. Maybe only Seb who could stay with the Mercs before first pit.

Unlikely though.

Seb even mentioned lag. Turbo lag? That would indicate the battery levels were so low they could not even keep the turbo at the correct rpm using the energy storage.

Overheating electronics causing intermittent problems with the energy system in peculiar ways. Leading to less harvesting =》 to more reliant on fuel =》excessive coasting/fuel saving. =》 low tire temps = slow pace altogether.

saviour stivala

dren wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 13:06
Where they also underfueling the car during FP1/FP2/FP3/qualifying as in the race?.

Juzh

MtthsMlw wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 21:59
Just gonna copy u/beckersCS post on reddit here.
Observations of the PU: Source
Some of these might be legit, but those "rpm drops" are just f1tv freaking out when switching to a different trackside receiver. People should really stop using this argument as it does not hold any water. If you look at the normal TV feed onboards there will be no sound cutouts and clearly not a single so called "rpm drop".

Quite funny that people didn't bother to check other cars for similar sound issues, because they're present on every car on F1TV.

FMP
FMP

I don't know about the reliability of these papers but they do make a lot of sense. The things mentioned here aren't like the RPM discussion. Here are actually visible and hearable things. Usage of lower engine modes, unusual early downshifs on straights and then the discussions between driver and team. Check them out!

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 90-la.html
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... er-unit%2F

BwajSF

Juzh wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 12:26
MtthsMlw wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 21:59
Just gonna copy u/beckersCS post on reddit here.
Observations of the PU: Source
Some of these might be legit, but those "rpm drops" are just f1tv freaking out when switching to a different trackside receiver. People should really stop using this argument as it does not hold any water. If you look at the normal TV feed onboards there will be no sound cutouts and clearly not a single so called "rpm drop".

Quite funny that people didn't bother to check other cars for similar sound issues, because they're present on every car on F1TV.
Yeah its just to much of pressure going aboard on Ferrari. Albert Park has never been the best of races for Ferrari always.
2017 & 2018 we got lucky but this year we took a proper beating.
I also sincerely believe that our guys just got more than couple of things wrong like Cooling, PU Electric & Petrol energy Mapping & the setup to bring tyres into operational window.
And i really really hope that Ferrari Comes out from Bahrain all guns blazing....

GrandAxe

If it would be of any use to the current RPM discussion, Vettel's RPM peaked at slightly higher values than Max's during the chase and overtake.

There are most likely differences in gear ratio's, but (not considering aero) is unlikely to vary much as the engine power output has narrowed (according to the word of both the team principals, manufacturers and external expert analysts).

In the video below (found on the race thread) Max's telemetry first comes on at about 1:44.

nacho

They really didn't seem to have the mid to end of straight speed they had last year, that was the part they were beating Mercs almost all season.

GoranF1

I dont know if this was posted already..says fundamental in it.
https://thejudge13.com/2019/03/18/a-fun ... ssion=true
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

McMika98

Juzh wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 12:26

Absolutely spot on. Saw similar thing on other cars as well. Why cant people accept that Merc was faster on the day due to better setup and not some engine deficiency. If thats the case Haas and Alfa would not be able to compete with midfield.

dfegan358

very concerning if there is genuine power unit issues with ferrari. that was a real strength last year. although seemed to have lose any advantage towards end of season. ferrari definitely had noticeable acceleration advantage v merc/red bull than horner and toto admitted. then seemed to disappear towards end season. whether that was down to just wrong developmental path or some effect of the sensors we will never know

If ferrari have turbo/mgu-k or h issues , is there any risk of having to introduce a second power units this early in the season?
maybe it was just down to underfuelling and a need to be more efficient to save fuel. additionally the setup was wrong and ferrari didnt manage the tyres well. hopefully it was just a perfect storm of factors to result a very poor performance and not repeated.

ferrari seem to have a lot of questions to answer with PU this year, and haas seemed to have some issues also. maybe these are all related to the reliability gremlins we seen in testing with ferrari and haas?

ringo

Can be calibration issues.
For Sure!!

GoranF1

I hear(read on twitter 😀) Ferrari has fundamental problem whit PU, and best chassis on grid.
Problem whit PU discoverd in day 3 of first test.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

nzjrs

GoranF1 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 17:40
I hear(read on twitter 😀) Ferrari has fundamental problem whit PU, and best chassis on grid.
Problem whit PU discoverd in day 3 of first test.
F1technical.net and not f1-garbage-from-twitter.net