2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

PhillipM wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 13:42
Spoke to a friend of ine this weekend who works in the composites side - he says everyone at Mclaren is 'buzzing' at the moment - they all feel like they're back on track, says it's the first tie everyone's been this excited there since the initial honda switch.
Let's hope the optimism isn't as misplaced :D
Did he mention anything about updates? Bahrain is a home Grand Prix after all...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis

Budget cap is incoming.
What seems to be fairly clear is that the planned budget cap will go ahead with a glide path towards a cap of $135 million in 2023 and onwards. This will start with a limit of $220 million in 2020, reduce to $185 million in 2021, then $160 million in 2021 and finally $135 million in 2023. There are going to be some major exclusions from the budget cap, such as driver and top executive salaries, marketing and hospitality costs, but the principle seems to have been accepted and the aim now is for the Formula One group to raise revenues so that the teams will all get $135 million or more a year from the prize funds, which will mean that they will be covering their costs and all additional revenues will become profits. This will allow teams to invest in other activities if they wish to grow their businesses, or to sell or float their businesses, as their "franchises" will have value, something which teams had never really managed in the past. In order to reach the level of revenues required, the Formula 1 group will need to find something in the region of $500 million more revenue each year. That may sound like a lot of money but Liberty Media has invested in a whole range of new revenue streams and believes that these will pay off as they mature. If the F1 TV over-the-top direct-to-consumer service is picked up by a modest five million fans, which is about 10 percent of the hard core F1 fans in the world, the target will be exceeded, so it is obviously attainable, particularly given that other revenue streams will simply add to the value of the business.

Jolle wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 01:16
I just read the article that Zak Brown said that, if the rules don't change, McLaren might leave F1.... These tactics might work for Ferrari, but not for McLaren in it's current state. Ferrari (or more, Philip Morris) held their mouth shut when they were not winning....

after blaming Honda for a couple of years, please don't start blaming the game...

https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... misschien/
Ferrari held their mouth shut? They haven't won a title since 2007. Zak Brown isn't even blaming anyone. He just says that he want's a budget cap, so that McLaren will have a chance of winning again.

PhillipM

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 15:00
Did he mention anything about updates? Bahrain is a home Grand Prix after all...
No, but he's on the repair side of things so doesn't generally see that stuff anyway, there was talk of new front and rear wings but then parts got delayed in testing so when they turn up I don't know, unless they get spotted in packing/shipping going out.

SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:Spoke to a friend of ine this weekend who works in the composites side - he says everyone at Mclaren is 'buzzing' at the moment - they all feel like they're back on track, says it's the first tie everyone's been this excited there since the initial honda switch.
Let's hope the optimism isn't as misplaced :D
That’s great news and something that I’ve heard somewhere else and it’s good to confirm... If the team has managed to create a car that can be further developed during the season, it has to create a boost in more for the team.

One thing to consider (and that has been brushed over by most) is that this car is a complete new concept and philosophy for Mclaren which implies that they are going to need some time to understand it and to find ways to extract more potential out of it... Most other cars are continuing with previous years concepts, which have been adjusted for the new regulations and for them it should be easier to extract more performance more rapidly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

godlameroso

McLaren knows which direction to develop in, the car is a good base, the Barcelona package is being worked on. If McLaren feels the need to rush they could get some updates ready for Baku, but right now they have to run what they brung. Of course there's always little updates, things you can't really see that are always being worked on, new set ups, small pieces of the actual chassis itself. Mark my words, they'll be ahead of Haas before the half way point of the season.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:McLaren knows which direction to develop in, the car is a good base, the Barcelona package is being worked on. If McLaren feels the need to rush they could get some updates ready for Baku, but right now they have to run what they brung. Of course there's always little updates, things you can't really see that are always being worked on, new set ups, small pieces of the actual chassis itself. Mark my words, they'll be ahead of Haas before the half way point of the season.
I hope you are right... That’s a big ask to be in front of Haas by mid season, but if they can pull it off... I will be a happy fan :)

Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 16:16
McLaren knows which direction to develop in, the car is a good base, the Barcelona package is being worked on. If McLaren feels the need to rush they could get some updates ready for Baku, but right now they have to run what they brung. Of course there's always little updates, things you can't really see that are always being worked on, new set ups, small pieces of the actual chassis itself. Mark my words, they'll be ahead of Haas before the half way point of the season.
Based only on Melbourne, that's about 0.5secs, that's quite a gap to close by half way point.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect

Did anybody see the long run data from Melbourne FP? I'd like to know how the compare in the midfield. With the way the race turned out, it was difficult to judge their pace.

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 17:17
Did anybody see the long run data from Melbourne FP? I'd like to know how the compare in the midfield. With the way the race turned out, it was difficult to judge their pace.
Scroll down, there is an opportunity to choose to compare the two pilots, the schedule and the table.

https://f1report.ru/lapbylap/2019/austr ... -park.html

just need to turn on JavaScript

SmallSoldier

_cerber1 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
Scroll down, there is an opportunity to choose to compare the two pilots, the schedule and the table.

https://f1report.ru/lapbylap/2019/austr ... -park.html

just need to turn on JavaScript
That’s excellent information! Thank you for sharing!

_cerber1

And when will James Key start working? It seems to be the other day?

SmallSoldier

_cerber1 wrote:And when will James Key start working? It seems to be the other day?
According to the announcement, today is his first day with the team... Wondering why the team hasn’t posted anything in social media or elsewhere in regards to it.

Wouter

Ground Effect wrote:
Here is another one.

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... 0Ricciardo
The Power of Dreams!

Mansell89

I’m looking forward to this weekend in Bahrain and seeing how McLaren fairs on a much more representative track.

In the Williams preview Robert Kubica emphasises the importance of stability under braking and the traction out of the corners, calling it a “stop start” track. He also talks about the tyres being so vital in the tough Bahrain conditions.

That leaves us with some very interesting things to test this week:

1) Does McLaren have an unstable rear end as was mentioned by a few “experts” in Barcelona testing?

2) With Pirelli choosing the harder tyres this weekend....Were McLaren as strong as that glimpse off pace we saw on the C2 tyres towards the end of testing? (One stint was very competitive indeed at face value)

My gut feeling based on sector 3 in Barcelona that we might have work required to improve but this is a great chance to find out.

godlameroso

McLaren has started the season with a low downforce setup similar to 2016, unlike 2016, this chassis is trickier to balance, but actually responds to setup changes. The bargeboard and rear wings need some adjustment, of course it's never as simple as just put more wing on and profit. Studies have to be carried out developed, validated, manufactured, then it'll appear on the car. Such a package can take a few months provided they've been working on it at the end of test 2. So right around early May.

I feel .2 is hidden in just getting the most of the current package, but Haas will not improve as much as McLaren is capable of(budget, talent of staff). So when the updates start trickiling in that gap will start closing down.
Saishū kōnā