IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Morteza

Re: IndyCar Series

This is some crazy stuff! As an F1 fan in particular
https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status ... 4805937158
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

subcritical71

Morteza wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 21:56
After the Indycars showed what could be done by going wide I believe we may see something similar in F1 this year. Why not?

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

wesley123

Wtf were they seriously allowed to go that wide there?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan

subcritical71 wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 22:33
Morteza wrote:
After the Indycars showed what could be done by going wide I believe we may see something similar in F1 this year. Why not?
The question is "why?", surely.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

roon

Morteza wrote:
Rear suspension component broke? (the bouncing in the latter half of that video)

subcritical71

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 23:33
subcritical71 wrote:
Morteza wrote:
To gain an advantage over the other driver. I’m not trying to be difficult, but F1 has a 3 strikes policy (or did), so the F1 drivers could do the same twice without penalty.

bill shoe

subcritical71 wrote:
Morteza wrote:
Take a Michael Schumacher or Max Verstappen mindset and put them on a road course with no track limits. You're going to see some really creative driving off the track and back on. The other drivers will have no clarity or certainty when they are allowed to maintain their line when, say, Max comes tearing back onto the track half a car-length in front. All rules regarding driving etiquette depend heavily on the underlying definition of the track.

So whether that's good or bad depends on what you want to see. But if you want no track limits then logically you should not want any of the current driving etiquette rules/guidelines. The stewards could be dismissed during the race to go out and have a nice lunch, and they'd just need to return for post-race tech inspection, etc.

Just_a_fan

subcritical71 wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 01:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:

To gain an advantage over the other driver. I’m not trying to be difficult, but F1 has a 3 strikes policy (or did), so the F1 drivers could do the same twice without penalty.
I'm well aware why the drivers do it. That wasn't the question.

It appeared the suggestion was to allow a free-for-all on track limits as Indy. That's very different to F1's approach.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sulman

F1 was getting like that around 2003. Perhaps not as extreme, but some tracks (Austria I think) had cars essentially running fully on apex kerbing because it wasn't much of a physical limit. The only thing that really got enforced was the solid pitlane lines.

Singabule

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 01:49
subcritical71 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

It appeared the suggestion was to allow a free-for-all on track limits as Indy. That's very different to F1's approach.
Lol, crazy and dangerous stuff. Im sure from Charlie legacy F1 wont do that

subcritical71

Singabule wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 05:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 01:49
subcritical71 wrote:

Lol, crazy and dangerous stuff. Im sure from Charlie legacy F1 wont do that
I would agree it is different than F1, but what is dangerous about it if everyone is using the same rules. By allowing cars to use the fastest line the officials have basically reprofiled the track there without spending a single cent. Everyone knows the rules and the fastest line so that is what most will do.

browney

So they drive on the tarmac runoff, which in turn makes the run off of that run off the gravel..... Aren't they back where they started?

But a better question is, why doesn't anyone seem to think racing drivers should have to stay on a race track?

subcritical71

browney wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 13:06
So they drive on the tarmac runoff, which in turn makes the run off of that run off the gravel..... Aren't they back where they started?

But a better question is, why doesn't anyone seem to think racing drivers should have to stay on a race track?
First, let me say that I am the first one that says if you're going to enforce track limits, enforce them. If you're not, then don't. There is no such thing as being half pregnant, right?

I take 'the race track' to mean inside the white lines. Not the curbs, not 3 wheels is ok, but 4 is not. Not turn 5, 7 and 9 will be deemed gaining an advantage, but the others are ok.

My interpretation of the strictest track limits is one wheel over the white line and you are driving in the run-off area and are therefore off-track, you should get a drive through penalty. But that doesn't sound like fun.

Each series has their own rules that they have decided to enforce based on a multitude of factors, safety being one of the biggest. Indycar generally doesn't need to enforce track limits because on most tracks, immediately after the white line is either a concrete barricade, grass, or gravel. My point being I didn't see anything anymore dangerous occurring at this race than any other race at COTA and you may just want to see how it plays out. It is just different. (look at those high rear wings from F1 2013, :-s ) It is like a new car design, it takes a few races to understand and get used to the change. After that the old way seems to be the odd way.

zac510

I watched this race and I had thought an accident like this might happen. They were also running wide off of turn 1 and back onto track, retaining position and/or overtaking other cars too. From the perspective of track design, it was novel that being able to use the runoff without penalty opened up the track to have multiple exit lines to the corner, from which a potential overtake could be lined up.