Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MtthsMlw

Re: Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

TheRacingElf

Apparently the cars are expected to get even heavier by 50 kg...

bosyber

But not due to the aero, but so that standard parts are doable (for a reasonable price, I suppose). One can hope that those parts might in time be optimized by the rules. Yes, hope.

santos

Slimmer tyres at the front… looks good. But what those wings above the front wheels? And the rear wing… looks to be fixed.. How can you setup for track like Monza?

FrukostScones

Finally! Champ Car is back.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

djos

FrukostScones wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 18:56
I was thinking the same thing! :D

Personally I like the concept, although I'm not sure what those bits above the front wheels are supposed to accomplish.
"In downforce we trust"

Holm86

djos wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 21:59
FrukostScones wrote:

Personally I like the concept, although I'm not sure what those bits above the front wheels are supposed to accomplish.
Managing tyre wake

DiogoBrand

I don't see any indications of a shift to focus to ground effects, which in my opinion is the only way to improve overtaking on F1. And adding another 50kg is just ridiculous.

But I wouldn't take this too seriously, it's there more to look cool and futuristic than to represent where they actually want to go.

djos

DiogoBrand wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 02:44
I don't see any indications of a shift to focus to ground effects, which in my opinion is the only way to improve overtaking on F1. And adding another 50kg is just ridiculous.

But I wouldn't take this too seriously, it's there more to look cool and futuristic than to represent where they actually want to go.
Look more closely at the front of the floor, the intakes are huge.
"In downforce we trust"

danwilkie90

So the front wing is simpler, that's good. The nose joins the wing so less opportunity/need for complicated aero pieces to spring up under it and seemingly no way to make "thumb" noses anymore!
Also it's practically a ground effect car. The front wing is higher, allowing more air to go straight under the car into the massive air intakes you can see underneath, there are 2 skirts under the diffuser, the airflow then connects directly with the large beam wing to effectively make the car one large wing. So most of the downforce should be made under the car from what i can see, meaning the front/rear wing doesn't need to make as much downforce, hence being slimmer and lacking endfences at the rear. Also, it would appear that means no DRS too! Overall, it isn't as nice and futuristic looking as other ideas I've seen but if it works as well as they say and the racing's good, I'm happy.

Capharol

https://soymotor.com/blogs/rblancafort/ ... -1-de-2021

Translation (with google)
In all contracts, the traps are hidden in the fine print, the one that few pay attention to, which always include nuances and provisos and unexpected leonine clauses.

Formula 1 does not escape this rule. Finding gray areas in the regulation or holes has become the key to success. Since the master lines of what they wanted FIA and Liberty were put on the table in 2018 in Bahrain has spent a year to agree on the technical and financial standards of 2021. Some rules that the FIA ​​must have finalized in June for final approval .

Before there will be new meetings to define the details. And if in the general rules at the end there has been consensus among the ten teams, on the subject of the details there will undoubtedly be ten different opinions.

And in that of the fine print comes the issue of B teams or customers, a topic on which Ferrari has bet heavily because it allows to move faster, sacrifice a B team to try new solutions or paths without taking risks that an eventual error harms the big team and accelerate the developments.

A philosophy that raises blisters at Renault, McLaren and Williams. The first because it has no possibility of client computers. The two seconds because it goes against his philosophy and his history, although Williams was born as a client team.

And that Mercedes does not like, perhaps because it is not clear even if Racing Point is able to follow this path - although Lawrence Stroll sighs for him - and is not very clear about the future of Williams and fears a possible collapse of the team.

In any case, the goal is to achieve a more homogeneous performance of all cars and make pilots heroes. This is key in the current world, of cult to the stars.

A road that includes not only the budget ceiling, but also the use of common parts: change boxes and KERS, to start.

In the background, in Formula 1 some begin to think that the style of assembly is a heavy slab that sometimes prevents drastic solutions. Something like this happened in the United States, when the teams founded their own category, the CART, and left the F-Indy. Indianapolis reacted with the creation of the IRL, which did not seem to have the preponderance and interest of the CART, but but it had the ace of the 500 Miles and in the end it took the water to its mill, assumed the CART and created the current Indycar.

Formula 1 currently has two Damocles swords on its head : the new regulation and the technological revolution that society demands and that the automotive industry imposes . And it is vital to respond to both if you want to get the big builders to keep their bet for it.

That's why the fine print has its importance. It will depend on the fund that there is convergence of benefits or that the gap between the big teams and the second division grows.

skoop

djos wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 21:59
FrukostScones wrote:

I read that these bits above the front wheels have the purpose to calm the air in that area

GM7

Still no official news about F1 2021 rules but in the case that "INDIA" (3) is a true story, my opinion is mixed.

To begin i would be very pleased with the technical changes, even if i'm not an expert i can see that the aerodynamic rules are focusing the downforce to the floor and the topside aerodynamics elements have been simplified.

In an other hand i would be a little bit disappointed by the design, it's looks good but not really futuristic and incredible like Brawn was looking for, at least that my opinion. For example where are the futuristic endplates seen on the 2021 official concept (2) of last year ? It was very good looking. Maybe the model the teams are actually working on, is just the "useful" shape of 2021 cars without the futuristics elements ?

I can understand that the elements at the top of the front tyre are cleaning the tyre wake but why don't they use these on the rear tyres too ?

The halo looks very similar to this year to my eyes, compared to the halo shown on the concept (1).

Maplesoup

GM7 wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 20:27
I can understand that the elements at the top of the front tyre are cleaning the tyre wake but why don't they use these on the rear tyres too ?

The halo looks very similar to this year to my eyes, compared to the halo shown on the concept (1).
The wake coming off the front tires has a big effect in disrupting the rest of the aero of the car. By working it the diffuser will work better.

The tire wake of the rear tires doesn't really effect the performance of the car. The teams are worried more about tire squirt which they solve with the slots in the floor of the car in front of the back wheel. I imagine the new floor design would probably reduce the need for these slots but we'd have to wait and see.

hollus

AMUS was also reporting (from the same model) that the flat floor would be gone, with two proper underfloor tunnels.
Rivals, not enemies.