Positive Rake, Rear Suspension, Downforce And The Cape

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Powerslide

Positive Rake, Rear Suspension, Downforce And The Cape

an interesting insight from what is a theory, conspiracy

speed

Maplesoup

Re: Positive Rake, Rear Suspension, Downforce And The Cape

First 10 minutes was like pulling teeth, but i'm glad i stuck with it. Once he gets into explaining the cape and how it affects angle of attack etc its really informative and explains things I'd never really thought of.

Great find, thanks for posting.

zibby43

Maplesoup wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 08:46
First 10 minutes was like pulling teeth, but i'm glad i stuck with it. Once he gets into explaining the cape and how it affects angle of attack etc its really informative and explains things I'd never really thought of.

Not 100% sure, but I think this was original content from one of our members.

Maybe OP can clarify.

I enjoyed it as well.
Last edited by zibby43 on 17 Apr 2019, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

pierrre

Maplesoup wrote:

i am still looking for ways to improve...never was a good narrator to start with, never done it ever before. that was the second take..you should have seen the first one, probably you would be missing a few teeth by now if the path of evolution was different..i like your criticism so i can improve in quality, i hope..

when i did that, there was no script...i guess thats one area that should be improved. the terms i used to explain too never consistent, always changing...and the animation too was class, i know. our neighbours dog as well just would not shut up regardless of how much i love the animal...that also played a factor in destroying whatever 'flow' i was trying to achieve

zibby43

pierrre wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 21:52
Maplesoup wrote:

i am still looking for ways to improve...never was a good narrator to start with, never done it ever before. that was the second take..you should have seen the first one, probably you would be missing a few teeth by now if the path of evolution was different..i like your criticism so i can improve in quality, i hope..

when i did that, there was no script...i guess thats one area that should be improved. the terms i used to explain too never consistent, always changing...and the animation too was class, i know. our neighbours dog as well just would not shut up regardless of how much i love the animal...that also played a factor in destroying whatever 'flow' i was trying to achieve
Thought you did a fantastic job. =D> Takes a lot of time to make these videos.

Thank you for taking the time to create it.

trinidefender

The way that the cape works on the Merc is actually vey straight forward and one of the least complicated pieces of aerodynamics on the car (least complicated conceptually but very complicated to design)

They generate vortices. While facing the car from the front, clockwise on the left and counter clockwise on the right that feed to the barge boards of the car. Take a look at this picture and link if you want more information.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0176.shtml

The key here is that the vortices coming off of the cape rotate the same direction as the vortices coming off of the inboard edge of the front wing, the so called Y250 vortex. Vortices rotating in the same direction usually merge causing them to strengthen. Whether the two vortices are close enough to merge on the Merc doesn't seem to be conclusive.

Maplesoup

pierrre wrote:
Maplesoup wrote:

Didn't mean to cause any offense, but yes having a script would of been great or at least talking points and workings out how to transition into the different subjects you wanted to cover.

As i said overall I thought the content was great as well as the subject area and your take on it. It'll just take lots of practice to get a nice flow to things :D

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

trinidefender wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 04:06
The way that the cape works on the Merc is actually vey straight forward and one of the least complicated pieces of aerodynamics on the car (least complicated conceptually but very complicated to design)

They generate vortices. While facing the car from the front, clockwise on the left and counter clockwise on the right that feed to the barge boards of the car. Take a look at this picture and link if you want more information.
This image is actually quite an interesting one as it showcases something known as "vortex bursting". Vortex burst is a phenomenon of swirling flows whereby there is a sudden and quite drastic change in the structure of that same swirling flow.

There are two types: the first, "Bubble", basically shows a rapid expansion of the core which then formes a sort of bubble like structure which is axisymmetric. The second, "Spiral", is characterised usually by the centreline of the vortex core deforming into a spiral without any real increase in "size". Vortex bursting usually has the axial flow, which is necessary for the breakdown, decelerating along the vortex axis, often even reversing within the bubble.

The bubble type of breakdown is dominant in trailing vortices while both forms occur in leading edge vortices over delta wings. When it breaks down, the structure of the vortex is weaker, in the sense that the velocity gradients are smaller (because the circulation is distributed over a larger area). This doesn't mean that the vortex itself will "decay" outright, however, the vortex does begin to decay rather rapidly downstream of where it burst in both ways since the flow almost always becomes turbulent.

Here is a cool youtube video of bubble bursting.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

pierrre

zibby43 wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 23:06
pierrre wrote:
Maplesoup wrote:

Thought you did a fantastic job. =D> Takes a lot of time to make these videos.

Thank you for taking the time to create it.
very kind words of support, thank you very much

pierrre

Maplesoup wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 08:13
pierrre wrote:
Maplesoup wrote:

Didn't mean to cause any offense, but yes having a script would of been great or at least talking points and workings out how to transition into the different subjects you wanted to cover.

As i said overall I thought the content was great as well as the subject area and your take on it. It'll just take lots of practice to get a nice flow to things :D
none taken...while i was editing it...it was very obvious that some terms were all over the place

pierrre

trinidefender wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 04:06

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fi ... f18_46.jpg
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/atta ... vortex.jpg
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0176.shtml

The key here is that the vortices coming off of the cape rotate the same direction as the vortices coming off of the inboard edge of the front wing, the so called Y250 vortex. Vortices rotating in the same direction usually merge causing them to strengthen. Whether the two vortices are close enough to merge on the Merc doesn't seem to be conclusive.
i just finished a video on the front nose cape