What Fuel Used By An F1 Car?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
eska

What Fuel Used By An F1 Car?

I wonder what is the fuel used by an F1 car.

Is it a regular gasoline used by a street car bought in gas station?

Maplesoup

Re: What Fuel Used By An F1 Car?

eska wrote:
22 May 2019, 20:21

Nope, each engine has its own fuel supplier and customer teams can opt to have their own fuel supplier if they wish like red bull did while using the Renault engine

Sawtooth-spike

Maplesoup wrote:
22 May 2019, 20:26
eska wrote:

Nope, each engine has its own fuel supplier and customer teams can opt to have their own fuel supplier if they wish like red bull did while using the Renault engine
Sort of True, The Fuel must be based on Road car fuel. They can add additives etc. I think the rules set a percentage of similarity to the road fuel.
From memory
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Tommy Cookers

it is a fuel of unlimited Octane Number (and unlimited heating value)
there's about 10000 different constituents in road fuel - that gives a lot of scope for cherry-picking

Zynerji

Tommy Cookers wrote:
22 May 2019, 21:02
it is a fuel of unlimited Octane Number (and unlimited heating value)
there's about 10000 different constituents in road fuel - that gives a lot of scope for cherry-picking
Does LNG have similar levels of mixture?

Tommy Cookers

no
the liquid hydrocarbons are an order of magnitude 'larger' ie in carbon atom count
allowing orders of magnitude more variation eg even mirror images (stereo isomerism) having different properties
think Rubik cube of small part count vs Rubik cube of large part count
eg octane and iso-octane are in most ways identical - but iso-octane has an ON of 100 and octane an ON of minus 8

Maritimer

It must be based on regular gasoline, you can run it in your every day putter no problem. Mark Priestly said they used to literally give it away after races because it's cheaper than flying it back to base.

Maplesoup

Sawtooth-spike wrote:
22 May 2019, 20:33
Maplesoup wrote:
22 May 2019, 20:26
eska wrote:

Sort of True, The Fuel must be based on Road car fuel. They can add additives etc. I think the rules set a percentage of similarity to the road fuel.
From memory
Yea i was going to add that there are regulations are what they can and can't do. For instance that used to use aviation fuel in the cars but the fuel companies wanted the fuel to be more aligned with what they use on the road.

More information can be found here https://www.formula1.com/en/championshi ... /Fuel.html

marmer

Would be very interesting to see the performance difference in the engines when running on normal pump fuel

factory_p

marmer wrote:
24 May 2019, 15:17
Would be very interesting to see the performance difference in the engines when running on normal pump fuel
Basically without a specific tuning they would all destroy themselves within seconds.

SuperCNJ

There's a youtube video a little while ago where Ferrari showed that their F1 cars could run on ordinary Shell petrol.

I'm sure there must have been some tweaks on the car's mapping to make it work.