2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I agree... Good move by Zak

Andres125sx

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 08:55
Andres125sx wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 07:57
RonDennis wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 17:01
Sainz just messed up in Canada Q3. He said he would have been close to the Renaults.
Actually what he said is he did a mistake trying to beat Renault, who in this track was out of reach
Correct, but without his mistake, he would have been 8th, and a lot closer to the Renaults
No, just one position closer. Magnusen didn´t participate in Q3, so 8th and 9th was the minimum the team could do, so he only gifted his (supposed) position to his teammate. From a strategical point of view it was one of those rare scenarios when they can take more risks than usual because there´s nothing to loose, the team will be 8th and 9th anycase, even if no car finish a lap, so perfect scenario to go mad and see what happens

The penalty sent him to 11th position, but that´s a different mistake. If this is the one you were refering to, then I fully agree, except he´d have been 9th so I guess you were not refering to this one :mrgreen:

Ground Effect

Andres125sx wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 19:59
Ground Effect wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 08:55
Andres125sx wrote:

Actually what he said is he did a mistake trying to beat Renault, who in this track was out of reach
Correct, but without his mistake, he would have been 8th, and a lot closer to the Renaults
No, just one position closer. Magnusen didn´t participate in Q3, so 8th and 9th was the minimum the team could do, so he only gifted his (supposed) position to his teammate. From a strategical point of view it was one of those rare scenarios when they can take more risks than usual because there´s nothing to loose, the team will be 8th and 9th anycase, even if no car finish a lap, so perfect scenario to go mad and see what happens

The penalty sent him to 11th position, but that´s a different mistake. If this is the one you were refering to, then I fully agree, except he´d have been 9th so I guess you were not refering to this one :mrgreen:
What I mean is that he would have out qualified Lando, and had 8th, before his penalty, with the Delta the team had to the Renault car’s overall being smaller. We definitely weren’t quick enough to match them in Canada. I hope they’ll have enough to have a good go at Renault this weekend.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis

Andres125sx wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 17:01
Sainz just messed up in Canada Q3. He said he would have been close to the Renaults.
I said close, not beating them. He did a 1:11.5 in Q2, while Hulkenberg did a 1:11.3 in Q3.

ScottR267

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 13:49
Seidl:
It couldn’t be simpler: James Key, technical director, reports to Andreas, as do Paul James (team manager), and, currently, COO Jonathan Neale, who is temporarily covering in the role of production director vacated by Simon Roberts. The balance of over 700 employees report to one of the three.

Wasn't aware that Simon Roberts left... Wonder when this happened...
News to me too. Surely he’s resigned rather than being shafted otherwise surely Zak would’ve got rid sooner?

Ground Effect

ScottR267 wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 21:22
mclaren111 wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 13:49
Seidl:
It couldn’t be simpler: James Key, technical director, reports to Andreas, as do Paul James (team manager), and, currently, COO Jonathan Neale, who is temporarily covering in the role of production director vacated by Simon Roberts. The balance of over 700 employees report to one of the three.

Wasn't aware that Simon Roberts left... Wonder when this happened...
News to me too. Surely he’s resigned rather than being shafted otherwise surely Zak would’ve got rid sooner?
Joe Saward had mentioned it a while back, but I can’t remember where he’s going.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ThePapayaJaguar

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 09:59
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 09:19
On the subject of who is running their PU harder between McLaren and Renault, this article from Motorsport might be helpful.

Quote: "Renault has promised a significant chassis update for next weekend's French Grand Prix, having run its engine harder in recent races as well."

Link: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/issu ... e/4474412/
I think that line refers to them overcoming the reliability issues that forced them to run detuned for a couple of races. After the fix, they could run the engines harder, closer to it’s full potential.
Could be. I was thinking that maybe they ran the engine harder than they would've liked to in quali and defending from Bottas in the race.

mwillems

Taken from the car thread:

We could really have done with this at Monaco, but better late than never. This may be worth a chunk of time on the right tracks, and probably a decent amount here.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

So is the new suspension system that Mercedes also using gonna solve for us the Front End Problems that keep us back? How much time will that give us extra?

trinidefender

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 22:58
So is the new suspension system that Mercedes also using gonna solve for us the Front End Problems that keep us back? How much time will that give us extra?
Solve? Define solve. It appears that this design helps most on low speed tighter corners where more steering lock is applied as this will lower the front wing more.

How much time? Impossible to say. Anyone who does, without inside knowledge from McLaren, is probably making a purely speculative guess.

My best guess is that it will take till at least the next GP to get the setup dialled in more with this front suspension as its setup window will probably be vastly different.

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 23:25
Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 22:58
Solve? Define solve. It appears that this design helps most on low speed tighter corners where more steering lock is applied as this will lower the front wing more.

How much time? Impossible to say. Anyone who does, without inside knowledge from McLaren, is probably making a purely speculative guess.

My best guess is that it will take till at least the next GP to get the setup dialled in more with this front suspension as its setup window will probably be vastly different.
I'd like to think that the Aero operating window would actually be a bit wider with this new design. If that is the case then the gains might be instant albeit smaller until the optimal setup is found?

PhillipM

I wouldn't think they'd have too much in the way of setup issues, Mclaren have used these kind of setups before and so already have data on what they need - they've obviously just worked out what the trick was to get around the ruling. Be interesting to see if the car is on the droop stops for scrutineering....

Andres125sx

trinidefender wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 23:25

I´d say not even the designers can say how much time it will improve, they may have an estimation, but even them will be very speculative as it will depend on many factors like track, temperature, tire compound... and simulators are not perfect so there will always be some factors affecting the setup wich the simulator can´t take into account

mwillems

Would this kind of solution allow Mclaren to bring the wing closer to the ground a small amount, or would that push away air that needs to go to the bottom of the car?