General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ispano6

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

That google translation is pretty egregious. Maybe post just important bits. Many of the names are wrong too.

Pyrone89

As shown by the response of the Honda representatives at the track and the display at Honda HQ, this is a very big deal for Honda. This is amplified with the way honor is valued in Japanese culture and what happened with the 'GP2 engine' on the live worldwide broadcast in the (off all GP's and venues) Japanese GP at Honda's own circuit Suzuka. Funny thing is, it was Max Verstappen overtaking Alonso at that time, talking about coincidences.

What I do wonder now: will they up the investment to Mercedes levels to really compete for the titles or are they going the 'slow but steady approach'. I noticed that Max talked about clipping in the early stages which seem to point to electrical being the point needing more attention. With the electrification in the automotive industry a large investment in heat usage (MGU-H) and KERS (MGU-K) can be justified better to the board as being also company relevant than large investments in the ICU parts, so that could be a blessing in disguise.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Espresso

ispano6 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 17:47
That google translation is pretty egregious. Maybe post just important bits. Many of the names are wrong too.
:mrgreen: , correctly translated and names also not wrong.. As in Japanese they have to find a 'similar sounding' character to the name and the grammar is different. A one-to-one translation always will read odd.
So for the names when you translate it back into English you get those funny names. Got to agree it got something funny.

But I think you're asking for an 'interpretation' and not a translation.

But personally I'd rather have someone take the time for a translatation then nothing at all.
And just posting 'extracts' of a translation is normally cause for misinterpretation.
Japanese is a tough cookie at all...
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

ispano6

Espresso wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 15:09
ispano6 wrote:
:mrgreen: , correctly translated and names also not wrong.. As in Japanese they have to find a 'similar sounding' character to the name and the grammar is different. A one-to-one translation always will read odd.
So for the names when you translate it back into English you get those funny names. Got to agree it got something funny.

But personally I'd rather have someone take the time for a translatation then nothing at all.
And just posting 'extracts' of a translation is normally cause for misinterpretation.
The correct names are
Toyoharu Tanabe not Toyoji
Nobuharu Matsushita not Shinji
Masashi Yamamoto not Masafumi.

Lots lost in translation there. Anyone with a phone or computer can auto translate the article themselves with Chrome browser. But you shouldn't be posting incorrect names and perpetuating them as real people.

shingles

ispano6 wrote:
Espresso wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

The correct names are

Lots lost in translation there. Anyone with a phone or computer can auto translate the article themselves with Chrome browser. But you shouldn't be posting incorrect names and perpetuating them as real people.
You act like the person is doing this on purpose. He is just trying to post and share the news as some people don’t read Japanese sites. If you can translate it so well, why don’t you do it?

ispano6

https://www.f1supernews.com/2019/07/06/ ... rformance/
How Verstappen is pushing Honda's performance

Honda F1 chief Toyoharu Tanabe has explained how Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly‘s feedback has enabled the Japanese manufacturer to push for more power in 2019.
What I find endearing is with Max ending MBs run of 10 consecutive victories, he essentially protected McLaren Honda's 11 straight victories record. I wonder if Honda were conscious of this record and sought to maintain it? Either way, they have Max to thank!

ispano6

shingles wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 15:52
ispano6 wrote:
Espresso wrote:

The correct names are

You act like the person is doing this on purpose. He is just trying to post and share the news as some people don’t read Japanese sites. If you can translate it so well, why don’t you do it?
Sure, its nice and easy to post google translated text. Is it proof read? Editted for possible misunderstandings and misspelling? The publication world has much higher integrity than simply pasting autotranslated text. The fact that reuters and all these motorsport outlets use computer generated articles and regurgitate the same stuff makes content that comes directly from the Honda representatives in these articles more valuable and thus should be more scrutinized. Especially when you quote what they are saying.

You get people who say "well Shinji said this, Masafumi said that. They promised this, but delivered that".

KelsO

ispano6 wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 16:09
shingles wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 15:52
ispano6 wrote:
The correct names are

Sure, its nice and easy to post google translated text. Is it proof read? Editted for possible misunderstandings and misspelling? The publication world has much higher integrity than simply pasting autotranslated text. The fact that reuters and all these motorsport outlets use computer generated articles and regurgitate the same stuff makes content that comes directly from the Honda representatives in these articles more valuable and thus should be more scrutinized. Especially when you quote what they are saying.

You get people who say "well Shinji said this, Masafumi said that. They promised this, but delivered that".
I corrected the article so well?
KelsO wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 17:10
https://www.as-web.jp/f1/498653?all
https://cdn-image.as-web.jp/2019/07/010 ... 64x510.jpg

優勝の興奮冷めやらぬ中で行われたホンダの山本雅史マネージングディレクターへのインタビュー。今回のF1第9戦オーストリアGPが、モナコに次ぐ「優勝を狙ったレース」であり、レース現場を統括する田辺豊治テクニカルディレクターと事前に綿密に打ち合わせを繰り返したこと、さらに田辺TDが表彰台に上がった裏話も明らかにした。

インタビューの時点ではまだ裁定結果は出ておらず、ペナルティで勝利を失う可能性もあった。だが山本MDにとっては、マックスの正しさは自明のことだったようだ。(※その後シャルル・ルクレールとフェルスタッペンの接触は、レーシングインシデント判定されペナルティが科されないことが正式に決定した。)

――FIA-F2での松下信治選手の優勝に続いて、F1でも最高の結果が出ました。正直なところ、山本さんはこの勝利を予想していましたか?
山本雅史マネージングディレクター(以下、山本MD):カナダ、フランスと、厳しいレースが続きましたよね。一方で車体側のアップデートも、うまく回り始めていました。

今回はレッドブルの地元レースで、(ヘルムート)マルコさん(レッドブルのモータースポーツアドバイザー)からも、「プッシュして行こう」という話が出ていました。それで田辺とも話し合って、「いつもよりは攻めて行こう。このチャンスは、絶対にモノにしたいよね」と、金曜日から話していました。

それで予選に向けては、もちろん信頼性を保ちながらも、できるだけ攻めようと。そうやってホンダが一丸となって臨んだ結果、予選3番手を獲得できました。

――そして(ルイス)ハミルトンのペナルティで、フロントロウの2番グリッドに上がりました。
山本MD:ええ。3番手を獲った時点で、マルコさんや(エイドリアン)ニューウェイさん(レッドブルのテクニカルディレクター)から、「いいセットアップをしてくれた」という言葉をもらっていたんですね。

それが2番手に上がったことで、追い風は感じていました。実はレース前にオーナーの(ディートリヒ)マテシッツさんやマルコさん、(クリスチャン)ホーナー代表たちとランチをした際、「表彰台の真ん中を狙おう」という話も出たんです。

そしたらマルコさんが、「もし勝ったら、ホンダの誰かが表彰台に上がっていいぞ」と言ってきた。それで私は、「一番苦労してる田辺を上げたい」と即答しました。マテシッツさんも、「それは、いいね」と。
――レース前に決まっていたんですね。
山本MD:ええ。僕はずっと、「モナコまでに勝ちたい」って言っていたじゃないですか。もちろんマックスはモナコでもいいレースをしてくれましたけど、届かなかった。じゃあ次に狙うのは、ここしかないだろうと。シルバーストンなどは、正直厳しいですし。だからこのサーキットにフォーカスしていました。

――とはいえ、狙って勝てるものでもないですよね。
山本MD:そう。だから田辺と何度もミーティングを重ねて、おかげで予選もいい方向に進みました。

――それだけにスタートは驚いたのではないでしょうか。
山本MD:まさか、という感じでしたよ(苦笑)。マックスでも、あんなことが起きるんだと。スタートで順位を落としたのは、まさかまさかのハプニングでしたね。

――今回も4位かと思いましたか?
山本MD:そうは思わなかったです。マックスの走りを見ていたら、特に後半は神がかっていましたから。いわゆる、ゾーンに入っている感じでしたね。

――雨のブラジルGPの走りも凄かったですが(2016年、フェルスタッペンは雨の中、14番手から3位を勝ち取った)
山本MD:ええ。今回はルクレールを追いかけてた残り10周の最速ラップ連発には、少しシビれましたね。

restless

so is there any translation?!

ispano6

Following Nobuharu Matsushita's FIA-F2 win, a fantastic result in F1 was also achieved. Honestly speaking Yamamoto-san, did you predict this win?
Masashi Yamamoto:
Canada and France were two very difficult races after another weren't they? On the other hand, the updates to the chassis side started to round out nicely.

This time at Red Bull's home race, the word came from Helmet Marko to go ahead and push. With that I discussed with Tanabe from Friday, Let's attack more than usual. We have to seize this chance.

Leading up to qualifying, while obviously taking into account reliability, push as much as we can. And with that, as we had aimed for, were able to secure 3rd position in qualifying.
And with Lewis Hamilton's penalty were elevated to the front grid as #2.
Masashi Yamamoto:
Yes. Upon capturing 3rd position, Marko and Adrian informed us "we've prepared a really good set up".

And with having been elevated to 2nd position, I felt a sense of tailwind. Actually prior to the race, while having lunch with owner Dietrich Mateschitz, Mr. Marko and Christian Horner, we even had the discussion to "aim for the center of the podium".
Marko then offered "If it's a victory, someone from Honda may go up on the podium". I then suggested "I'd like Tanabe, who has endured the most, to go up" immediately. Mateschitz responded "That, is good".
So it was determined before the race.
Masashi Yamamoto:
Yes. I've always been saying "Win by Monaco" haven't I? Obviously Max had a great race in Monaco but just came up short. So the next race to go after had to be here. The likes of Silverstone is honestly going to be difficult after all. That is why we focused on this circuit.
That being said, just because you aim to win doesn't mean you will.
Masashi Yamamoto:
Indeed. That is why with the numerous meetings with Tanabe, thanks to that the qualifying session progressed in a great direction.
And with that, the start sure must have surprised you.
Masashi Yamamoto:
No way... was the kind of emotion (laughs while cringing). Even Max can have these moments. To lose positions at the start like that, it was like the unlikeliest of unlikely things happening.
Did you think 4th position again this time?
Masashi Yamamoto:
I did not think that. I was watching Max's stint, in particular his 2nd stint displayed Godly skills. Being in the so-called "zone" is what it was like.
His drive through a rainy Brazil was amazing. (2016, Verstappen in the rain went from 14 to 3)
Masashi Yamamoto:
Yes. This time the repeated fast laps within the last 10 laps while chasing Leclerc had me quite amped-up.

HPD

Toto Wolff has already admitted that the Spaniard has frequently contacted him. Helmut Marko also answers the question whether Alonso has already signaled that he would be at hand in the event of a free cockpit:

"Alonso is an absolute No for Honda."

https://www.formel1.de/news/news/2019-0 ... fuer-honda
Every action has its reaction :lol:
It would be great to see Alonso fighting with Ham in a RB Honda.
But Alonso deserves it..

Wouter

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA RACING F1

Our win at the last Grand Prix in Austria was a positive step and a milestone for Honda F1 and the entire Honda company. On our return to the factory, we had a brief but enjoyable celebration with family and colleagues, before preparing to head off for the next round in Silverstone. The British Grand Prix is a home race for many F1 teams, including Aston Martin Red Bull Racing whose factory is in Milton Keynes. Honda’s F1 operation has its European base in the same city, just a short drive from the circuit, while Scuderia Toro Rosso has it’s wind tunnel facility in nearby Bicester. It means that many of our staff and their families will be at Silverstone to support us and to see the results of all their hard work on track. Silverstone is one of the classic tracks and is very popular with drivers, teams and fans. It presents a thrilling high speed test for car and driver, with its series of long, fast flowing corners, as well as having a tighter and more technical section. We will go to the track as well prepared as possible, determined to maintain the momentum from Austria.
https://en.hondaracingf1.com/races/2019 ... -prix.html
The Power of Dreams!

HPD

I did not remember this haha

cool

bigblue

https://twitter.com/F1/status/114960858 ... 87/photo/1

Posting "Checking the oil slick and smoke screen are ready to deploy 😉" on twitter with a shot of the Red Bull (because of 007 branding for this race), is really tempting fate. Well, I guess it was from F1 and not the team, but now I'm worried !

bigblue

https://grandprix.com/news/red-bull-pus ... appen.html
"We didn't hit our fist on the table, because I do not think that is the right approach with the Japanese. It is also logical that they are careful after the difficult years with McLaren.

"But we did say 'Come on, we are not going to drive around all year like we did in France'. In qualifying the engine was adjusted more aggressively and we had more power," Verstappen said.