2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I really like McLaren unboxed. It's not super heavy on content, it's short, fun and interesting. It helps that Carlos and Lando get along and are obviously fooling around half the time. Whoever created it deserves credit as I feel it works great for Youtube.

Ground Effect

FittingMechanics wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 21:43
I really like McLaren unboxed. It's not super heavy on content, it's short, fun and interesting. It helps that Carlos and Lando get along and are obviously fooling around half the time. Whoever created it deserves credit as I feel it works great for Youtube.
Totally agree, their chemistry is, dare I say unprecedented? What makes it all the more impressive and special, is that it’s in a competitive car, battling for best of the rest, with both drivers close to each other in performance. It’s not like their clowning around because they are at the back of the grid and can’t do anything else but make light of the situation.
McLaren to me, are an advertiser’s delight.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Mansell89

I thought McLaren came out of Silverstone with credit and given performance in Bahrain and Austria, I would have thought they’d go nicely in Hockenheim next weekend.

Stadium section a possible Achilles heel but braking stability and a low drag car should set them up to be competitive versus Renault and the other midfield I would hope?

Ground Effect

Personally, I think the only reason Renault were quicker than McLaren at Silverstone was due to the cooler temps. If it was as hot as Austria or France, McLaren would have been clearly ahead. So they have to come up with a solution for cool conditions during race weekends.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Wynters

I'd also be interested to know the wording of the engine contract. It's not unprecedented for the factory team to have upgrades (software, etc) before the customer teams. Undoubtedly, McLaren are doing a great job, especially given their travails in recent seasons.

EDIT: I'm incorrect, please see clarification from Diffuser three posts below.
Last edited by Wynters on 18 Jul 2019, 22:31, edited 2 times in total.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 16:16
Personally, I think the only reason Renault were quicker than McLaren at Silverstone was due to the cooler temps. If it was as hot as Austria or France, McLaren would have been clearly ahead. So they have to come up with a solution for cool conditions during race weekends.
It was probably more due to the headwinds on the straights and the fact that Renault ran less wing. Both amplified their woes.

godlameroso

Speaking of which, wind will be blowing east most of the weekend with Saturday being the windiest but not gustiest. That means a tail wind down the parabolica, and cross winds into the fastest corners.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

Wynters wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 16:26
I'd also be interested to know the wording of the engine contract. It's not unprecedented for the factory team to have upgrades (software, etc) before the customer teams. Undoubtedly, McLaren are doing a great job, especially given their travails in recent seasons.
I'm getting tired of repeating THIS.......... IT IS NOT ALLOWED TO RUN A PU UPGRADE OR MAP THAT HAS NOT BEEN MADE AVAILABLE TO ALL CUSTOMER TEAMS. The FIA verify this regularly.

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 03:23
Wynters wrote:
I'm getting tired of repeating THIS.......... IT IS NOT ALLOWED TO RUN A PU UPGRADE OR MAP THAT HAS NOT BEEN MADE AVAILABLE TO ALL CUSTOMER TEAMS. The FIA verify this regularly.
:lol:

mclaren111

:lol: :lol:

mclaren111

2018 vs 2019:

1:28.139 vs 1:26.224

Still a 1.915 improvement... =D> =D>

Emag

Lando's Q1 time was a 1:26:0
They had some problems in quali because they couldn't improve on that Q1 time when track conditions changed. I think they had some setup problems, and considering the big bargeboard upgrades, it was kind of expected. Hopefully they sort it out for Germany.

nzjrs

diffuser wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 03:23
Wynters wrote:
It's worth listening to the missed apex podacst with former lotus F1 team boss where they discuss this subject.

M840TR

Sainz: McLaren need low-speed performance gains to keep Renault at bay

"One race they will be quicker, another race we will be quicker and today they were quicker. We need to improve the car at low speed because that is what’s going to give us the edge, which at the moment we don’t have.

“The only thing that we know is that we haven’t cleared the midfield yet. Many people wanted us to be already clear of the midfield, but we haven’t. We still are with the Renaults, they are battling.”

As I said before, we need to keep bringing little bits to the car to help at low speed. They both have a combination of high-speed/low-speed [corners] so we don’t know how we’re going to do, but it’s going to be interesting to see [how we compete] with the Renaults.”
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 3Yv6E.html