General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lio007

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

This sounds so much more like a partnership than in the McLaren days:
https://en.hondaracingf1.com/insights/W ... eDyno.html

I think in the end it came good for all parties, it seems everybody is happy now: RB with/and Honda, McLaren with Renault.

Capharol

lio007 wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 08:28

I think in the end it came good for all parties, it seems everybody is happy now: RB with/and Honda, McLaren with Renault.
nice you copied the link from the honda hrdware thread.....
viewtopic.php?p=849079#p849072

lio007

Capharol wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 10:54
lio007 wrote:

Yes I did. Anything wrong in doing so?

Snorked

Have Red Bull posted any media on this karting event held before Silverstone?
A total of 60 employees from both Red Bull and Honda factories were divided into three teams of 20 teams, and made into a 60-minute endurance race with a 125cc racing cart.

The Red Bull side was headed by Christian Horner , Honda was headed by Toyoharu Tanabe

hollus

Capharol wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 10:54
lio007 wrote:

A discussion on whether one has to attribute the sources of copied links followed. Nothing particularly wrong with it except that it was long and getting longer and this is the Honda thread.

As the guy who flagged it to the moderators as a growing off-topic deviation (thanks!) said:
"It's a viable discussion....just not in this thread. "

My take on it, and this is by no means supposed to be a rule:
Is it nice to attribute sources? Surely.
Is it mandatory? Surely not.
As often, this area is ruled by mood and context to a nice extent. It is a gray area.

But the discussion that followed was off-topic and growing bigger, so it was removed, substituted by this much shorter explanatory post.

Back to Honda...
Rivals, not enemies.

GhostF1

Reposting an article that was deleted due to as mentioned reasons above.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-mar ... a-quit-f1/

Important stuff.
- Aston Martin very happy with Honda and their involvement so far, want them to stay past 2021.
- Aston are ready to step up involvement and bring their own engine to RBR if Honda decides to leave.
- Honda money and manpower exceeds what Aston could bring to the table though.

Credit to anyone who may of beaten me to posting a similar article in any of the Honda realms here..

etusch

GhostF1 wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 09:10

Important stuff.
- Aston Martin very happy with Honda and their involvement so far, want them to stay past 2021.
- Aston are ready to step up involvement and bring their own engine to RBR if Honda decides to leave.

Credit to anyone who may of beaten me to posting a similar article in any of the Honda realms here..
Maybe Honda is closed to what I am going to say but I think it would be good.
They can contribute Honda to spend more for f1 Engine development and also producing a sport car Engine.

Pyrone89

GhostF1 wrote:

Important stuff.

Aston Martin must be joking if they, a small sportscar builder who don’t even design their own road car engines (much simpler tech) can design the hyper complicated F1 engines. Why even throw this out their. It is like me saying NASA has more pilots and money, but if they need a specialized austronaut to go to the moon I am ready to jump in.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Alexf1

They dont have to. I think they will want to buy the Honda engine IP, English facility and hire consultants for development. By 2021 current engines will hopefully be mature and diverged.

Pyrone89

Alexf1 wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 21:10
They dont have to. I think they will want to buy the Honda engine IP, English facility and hire consultants for development. By 2021 current engines will hopefully be mature and diverged.
And who is going to do the R&D. Unless they hope for an engine freeze the R&D war goes on and the IP will be outdated and fallen behind in months.

Alexf1

Illien

roon

Why would they assume the engines would mature and development somehow plateau? It's not as though AMG HPP are going to axe their R&D and switch to manufacting only for 2021.

Regardless, we should first establish how involved Merc/Honda/Renault corporate are with Merc/Honda/Renault F1 powertrains.

Pyrone89

Alexf1 wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 21:15
Illien
Yeah, he has nowhere near the capabilities for that. Being a comsultant is one thing, being the prime developer is something else. Even the largest engine manufacturer in the world (Honda) and another very large manufacturer (Renault) have enormous trouble with all their research departments. Let alone all the other giant manufacturers (BMW, VAG, Toyota) who are obviously too scared to join after seeing what happened with the biggest engine maker for the last 4 years (‘GP2 engine’). There is no way in this current engine era, this not the 90’s or 00’s anymore. And F1 has itself to thank for it, being tricked into these regulations by Mercedes and Renault (ohh the irony).

GhostF1

Pyrone89 wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 19:58
GhostF1 wrote:

Important stuff.

Aston Martin must be joking if they, a small sportscar builder who don’t even design their own road car engines (much simpler tech) can design the hyper complicated F1 engines. Why even throw this out their. It is like me saying NASA has more pilots and money, but if they need a specialized austronaut to go to the moon I am ready to jump in.
Aston do have an engine factory. Only the V8 in the Vantage is from AMG. They produce their own 5.2 Twin Turbo V12 that is in the DB11 and DBS Superleggera. They had direct involvement with Cosworth for the NA V12 to be used in the Valkyrie and are currently developing their own twin turbo hybrid V6 for use in their upcoming models (Valhalla/Vanquish Vision etc). I realise these are not F1 engines and are far less complex, however they with input from Cosworth (as rumoured) could bring something forward. I can't imagine why their CEO would say publicly they would be ready if they are very much incapable.

The idea of using Honda's current RA619H or whatever it is at the end of 2020 (RA620H?) as the base and buying the IP and continuing to develop it may not be such a crazy idea. Honda would probably sell all their facilities to Aston Martin in Milton Keynes. It's not impossible to think, but keeping Honda involved would be the smartest option, Aston know that.

Bandit1216

Thank god CEO's never ever say anything stupid.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.