Back again with issue 7.
First up is stage 21: Assembling the front suspension 1. Parts supplied with this issue were the monocoque inner rear plate front (top left), the monocoque inner rear plate rear (top right), The front left shock absorber cap (middle left),
front shock spring (middle right), front left shock absorber (bottom left), front left shock absorber end (bottom middle), stabiliser link (bottom right).
Parts needed from previous issues were:
Radiator housing assembly, radiator and right intercooler (stage 19)
First up, assembly of the monocoque inner rear plate. The 2 halves were glued together, and then screws were inserted into each of the 10 holes.
Next up was the assembly of the front left shock absorber, spring and cap. First up the spring was slid onto the shock absorber shaft.
Next the shock absorber cap was screwed onto the shaft.
Following this the shock absorber end was stripped of paint on the protrusion and glued to the shock absorber. (it's supposed to be at an angle relative to the horizontal, this proved a little difficult as the projection isn't shaped correctly to enable it to slot in snugly.)
Next up was the assembly of the right radiator an radiator housing, this was done in the same way as stages 16 and 17, so as usual I won't rehash the same details. The fully assembled right radiator housing, radiator and intercooler are pictured below.
Up next is stage 22: Assembly of the front suspension 2. Parts supplied with this issue were the monocoque inner rear plate (top left), the front right shock absorber cap (middle left), the front shock spring, the front right shock absorber (bottom left), the front right shock absorber end (bottom middle) and the stabiliser link (bottom right). (Also another mini screwdriver, redundant as I use my own set of precision screwdrivers)
Parts required with this stage were the monocoque assembly from stage 18.
The front right shock absorber, spring, cap and end were all assembled in the same way as the left one. So this has not been pictured.
Next up was the gluing of the inner rear plate to the monocoque. The paint was stripped from the relevant areas and the plate was glued into the monocoque.
At this point the magazine also recommended inking the shock absorbers and the stabiliser links.
Next up stage 23: Assembly of the cockpit. Parts supplied with this issue were the monocoque bottom plate rear (left), cockpit housing (bottom middle), cockpit housing front plate (top middle), shift panel (2nd from the right, bottom), gear lever (rightmost bottom), balance lever linkage (rightmost top), and in the sprue was the balance lever A (top), and the balance lever B (bottom). I haven't mentioned this previously as it seemed superfluous but most of these issues have been supplied with screws. This particular issue was missing a set of 5 screws. Whilst this hasn't been a problem yet as I done the assembly with glue instead, I have had another issue sent out so I will assembly it correctly with screws and keep the glued one as a spare.
First up the balance parts A and B were carefully trimmed from the sprue and any flashing removed from them. Quite fiddly as they're tiny so I'm happy I did this without damaging them at all.
The first part of this stage was to temporarily assemble the cockpit parts in order to mark the area on the housing where the cockpit housing front plate is fixed. I haven't pictured this step as it doesn't add anything to the model. The permanent assembly is pictured however. So skipping ahead the gear lever was attached to the shift panel. The paint was first cleaned off the gear lever and the lever was glued into place, from the underside of the panel.
Next up the balance lever A and B were glued together. Really fiddly little bit, but again I managed with some tweezers and more patience than I would usually have.
The completed balance lever sub assembly was then glued to the cockpit housing.
Followed by the gluing of the balance lever linkage to the cockpit housing.
Next up the assembly of the cockpit. First up the cockpit housing was *SUPPOSED* to be screwed to the bottom plate. This is where I have deviated from the magazine until I get the replacement parts and have superglued the cockpit housing to the base.
Following this the shift panel and cockpit housing front plate were both glued to the cockpit assembly. (Again the shift panel should've been screwed from the bottom and glued to the cockpit housing, but it's been glued from all sides.)
And that's it for this week guys and girls. As of now you're all as up to date as I am. I won't bother posting an update when I get the replacement parts fro this stage as it'll only be very minor differences that you can't see anyway unless you're looking at it from underneath. As usual if there's anything you'd like to see in more detail just hit me up!
Thanks for reading,