2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Although sceptical about the gains possible for this year, Sainz says the pace of the McLaren over a long stint in Hungary – when at a certain stage it was faster than Ferrari – has given tremendous cause for optimism.

"I was told on the radio that on the last five laps [of the first stint] we were faster than the Ferraris, so everybody was getting pumped up," he said.

"We are starting to see some progress on the car with the tyre management, so that last part of that first stint has given us hopes and ambition to know that we can keep closing on the top guys."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sain ... 9/4510983/

Espresso

FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 14:27
McLaren announces partnership with Schimdt Peterson Racing in IndyCar. I am quite excited about this. I love the look of the racetracks in IndyCar and having a McLaren to root for will be great.
Thanks for the heads up...missed that article. :wtf:
Motor racing: McLaren to make full-time IndyCar return in 2020
Alan Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - McLaren will return to full-time IndyCar racing in 2020 in partnership with Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports and Chevrolet, the British company announced on Friday.

The move could give Spaniard Fernando Alonso, the double Formula One world champion who remains under contract to McLaren, another chance to win the Indianapolis 500 even if the Spaniard is not interested in a full season.

The existing team will be renamed Arrow McLaren Racing SP, competing with two Chevrolet-powered cars and a possible third entry for Indianapolis.

Former Indy 500 winner Gil de Ferran, the sporting director of McLaren Racing, will lead a dedicated group independent of the Formula One team.

McLaren last competed full-time in the IndyCar championship in 1979.

“We come to IndyCar in full respect of the sport, our competitors, the fans and the task ahead,” said McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown.

“It’s definitely a very integrated partnership, technically, managerially and commercially,” he told a conference call.

He said McLaren, who face a likely record 22 race season in Formula One in 2020 and are also contemplating a world endurance involvement from 2021 when the rules change to hypercars, were not biting off more than they could chew.

McLaren have been mulling a full IndyCar campaign for some time, their decision influenced by failure to qualify Alonso for this year’s Indianapolis 500 as a one-off entry.

Brown said Alonso, who left Formula One at the end of last year, still wanted to win Indianapolis and McLaren wanted to do so with him.

“He has not shown to date interest in competing in a full season,” he added.

“(For) Fernando, or someone else potentially, we would consider a third car entry at Indy only.”

Canadian James Hinchcliffe is committed through 2020 with Schmidt Peterson while Swedish former F1 driver Marcus Ericsson will be out of contract at the end of the year.

Alonso wants to become only the second driver after the late Briton Graham Hill to win the “Triple Crown of Motorsport” and has already won the Monaco Grand Prix and Le Mans 24 Hours. Indianapolis is the only remaining race to win.

This year’s Indy 500 winner Simon Pagenaud told Reuters last weekend that Alonso’s best chances of success at The Brickyard would be either by doing a full season or racing with an experienced team.

McLaren made a catalogue of errors at Indianapolis this year, from having to scrounge a steering wheel at short notice to missing vital track time because the spare car was the wrong shade of orange and was elsewhere being resprayed.

“We came away from that experience stronger than ever in our desire to compete in IndyCar,” said Brown.

“But we knew we would have to go about it differently, which was either be fully committed or don’t do it.

“The reasons why we want to be in IndyCar have always remained.”

McLaren sold more sportscars in the United States than anywhere else last year, with the country also a major market for their sponsors. Formula One is also looking to expand its audience significantly in the Americas.

Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Christian Radnedge

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source:
https://in.reuters.com/article/motor-in ... NKCN1UZ1DY
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-motor ... KKCN1MT2OY
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Jolle

with the demoting of Gasly, a excellent opportunity for Sainz to go for fifth in the drivers championship! Best position for a McLaren since Hamilton was fourth in 2012. (of course, sixth is also already the best result since 2012)

Ground Effect

Jolle wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 14:18
with the demoting of Gasly, a excellent opportunity for Sainz to go for fifth in the drivers championship! Best position for a McLaren since Hamilton was fourth in 2012. (of course, sixth is also already the best result since 2012)
He can’t do better than 6th, LeClerc is in 5th, 76 points ahead. They were aiming for 6th, with Gasly on their radar. Even now with his demotion, it isn’t necessarily a given, because if Albon drives to the cars potential, then in a couple of races, he’ll be favourite for 6th.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Jolle

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 14:35
Jolle wrote:
He can’t do better than 6th, LeClerc is in 5th, 76 points ahead. They were aiming for 6th, with Gasly on their radar. Even now with his demotion, it isn’t necessarily a given, because if Albon drives to the cars potential, then in a couple of races, he’ll be favourite for 6th.
Oh yes, I was carried away. I meant sixth :P

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
Whoever drives the other RBR is still liable to take points from Mclaren. If fact, I would feel that Albon is more likely to finish above the Mclaren than Gasly was. The up side of course is that he is also more likely to finish close behind the Mclarens and deny others points.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FittingMechanics

It seriously improves chances for Sainz to take 6th. Albon is about 50 points behind Gasly, sure, he can catch up, but it would still take 5 races where he needs to earn 10 points more than Sainz.

It doesn't really matter in any case, but it will be interesting to see how fast Albon can adapt.

Big Tea

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:57
It seriously improves chances for Sainz to take 6th. Albon is about 50 points behind Gasly, sure, he can catch up, but it would still take 5 races where he needs to earn 10 points more than Sainz.

It doesn't really matter in any case, but it will be interesting to see how fast Albon can adapt.
I was thinking more of points denied Sains than those gathered by Albon. He is way down but him getting infront of Sains means Kimi closes up faster (like for like)

Having said that, If Albon is a regular top 5 finisher there is half a season left
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FittingMechanics

Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:20
I was thinking more of points denied Sains than those gathered by Albon. He is way down but him getting infront of Sains means Kimi closes up faster (like for like)

Having said that, If Albon is a regular top 5 finisher there is half a season left
I really doubt that Sainz would consistently place ahead of Gasly, those were more of outliers.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 14:41
Jolle wrote:
Whoever drives the other RBR is still liable to take points from Mclaren. If fact, I would feel that Albon is more likely to finish above the Mclaren than Gasly was. The up side of course is that he is also more likely to finish close behind the Mclarens and deny others points.
It will be what it will be but I think thier is as much chances they give up more points that take them, atleast at first. It will take him a few races to come up to speed. Also 9 races in F1 doesn't make Albon a "sure thing".

There is also no risk for RBR as the 4th team in constructor (McLaren) are really far behind in points.

_cerber1

SmallSoldier

Thanks for sharing... That was a very enjoyable read... It’s interesting how much more “open” the teams are nowadays, which is great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bauc

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 16:01
Thanks for sharing... That was a very enjoyable read... It’s interesting how much more “open” the teams are nowadays, which is great!

Ageed, great article about the car
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier

According to the Spanish media, Seidl has been quoted as saying that they started with the concept of the MCL35 after winter testing.

“We think that the next step in terms of performance will come because for the first in a long time we have started the development of the car with the right amount of time”.

“Next year’s car will be an evolution more than a revolution, we have good rhythm now and we have learned a lot with the current car. We know which are our weaknesses and that’s something that we want to address for next year”

“I’m optimistic, we can take the next step, but we have to be realistic. As I have said many times, there is no magic. The gap to the front continues to be huge, but the goal is to reach an intermediate point next year.”

Finally, in terms on when they will fully dedicate to the MCL35, he said:

“The key for the second half of the season will be when we will completely focus on next year’s car. Obviously, the results like in Hungary help”.

f1rules

Edit. Beat me. They have it on autosport also

There is an article on autosport, about mclaren starting early on 2020 model, after many years +15 i stopped paying for the crap they produced so, no matter it seem seidl says there is no need for key to go radical with the new 2020 car, exactly as expected, mclaren are not ready for that, they need steady progress to confirm their abilities and build confidence,
I mention this as a comment to seidls previous interview, where he said he would encourage brave solutions, which i clearly read was with time and not right away, and it seem to be so. And im really happy for that! Definitly the right move