2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mclarensenna
8
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 am

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by Mclarensenna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 am

In F1 there is a clear pattern no matter what the position, you do not perform, you get fired!

Montezemelo fired after Alonso only came 2nd twice
Matiachi then fired.
Arrivabene then fired also and for what? Ferrari had the fastest car "overall" easily in 2018 but Vettel made 8 massive mistakes including crashing out of the lead. Arrivabane lead the team, delivered the fastest overall most reliable car, it was Vettel who failed yet Arrivabane was still fired even though he did his job 100% perfect.
Mclaren fired Boullier,
Williams fired Lowe
Kyvatt did not perform demoted
Gasly did not perform demoted
Honda fired multiple managers when their engine did not perform as expected
ETC ETC
The list could be endless but you get the idea

In F1 if you under perform you are generally fired or demoted.

EXCEPT though if you work at Renault and your name is Cyril or if you build an unreliable engine 6 years in a row and your name is Remi Taffin
You can miss every single target and this year go backwards being behind even Torro Rosso and your customer team Mclaren in points and still keep your job if your name is Cyril.

I would like to learn as it would be a serious skill to have. Become a high paying manager, fail every year and still keep the top job and the big bucks.
Some body here please enlighten me on what is Cyril and Remis secret to being unfirable in F1?

Iowa
0
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by Iowa » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:16 am

Mclarensenna wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 am
In F1 there is a clear pattern no matter what the position, you do not perform, you get fired!

Montezemelo fired after Alonso only came 2nd twice
Matiachi then fired.
Arrivabene then fired also and for what? Ferrari had the fastest car "overall" easily in 2018 but Vettel made 8 massive mistakes including crashing out of the lead. Arrivabane lead the team, delivered the fastest overall most reliable car, it was Vettel who failed yet Arrivabane was still fired even though he did his job 100% perfect.
Mclaren fired Boullier,
Williams fired Lowe
Kyvatt did not perform demoted
Gasly did not perform demoted
Honda fired multiple managers when their engine did not perform as expected
ETC ETC
The list could be endless but you get the idea

In F1 if you under perform you are generally fired or demoted.

EXCEPT though if you work at Renault and your name is Cyril or if you build an unreliable engine 6 years in a row and your name is Remi Taffin
You can miss every single target and this year go backwards being behind even Torro Rosso and your customer team Mclaren in points and still keep your job if your name is Cyril.

I would like to learn as it would be a serious skill to have. Become a high paying manager, fail every year and still keep the top job and the big bucks.
Some body here please enlighten me on what is Cyril and Remis secret to being unfirable in F1?
They are french in a french company.

Jambier
4
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am
Location: France

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by Jambier » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 am

Iowa wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:16 am
Mclarensenna wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 am
In F1 there is a clear pattern no matter what the position, you do not perform, you get fired!

Montezemelo fired after Alonso only came 2nd twice
Matiachi then fired.
Arrivabene then fired also and for what? Ferrari had the fastest car "overall" easily in 2018 but Vettel made 8 massive mistakes including crashing out of the lead. Arrivabane lead the team, delivered the fastest overall most reliable car, it was Vettel who failed yet Arrivabane was still fired even though he did his job 100% perfect.
Mclaren fired Boullier,
Williams fired Lowe
Kyvatt did not perform demoted
Gasly did not perform demoted
Honda fired multiple managers when their engine did not perform as expected
ETC ETC
The list could be endless but you get the idea

In F1 if you under perform you are generally fired or demoted.

EXCEPT though if you work at Renault and your name is Cyril or if you build an unreliable engine 6 years in a row and your name is Remi Taffin
You can miss every single target and this year go backwards being behind even Torro Rosso and your customer team Mclaren in points and still keep your job if your name is Cyril.

I would like to learn as it would be a serious skill to have. Become a high paying manager, fail every year and still keep the top job and the big bucks.
Some body here please enlighten me on what is Cyril and Remis secret to being unfirable in F1?
They are french in a french company.
Argh burned :mrgreen:
It is sad but it is true for some historic / owned by the state compagnies.
I face this daily at my customers'

Anyway it should not happen in F1, but :

- Remi Taffin is a good and historic guy. I think keeping him now is not a bad idea. Viry is evolving and engine progressing in the good way despite evident lack of quality

- For Abiteboul it is a mystery. I think this guy has deep connection into Renault. I think he is good to avoid responsabilities, and I also think he is very lucky that Ghosn is not arround anymore.
Renault is now managed by weak people, it keeps him in place.

BUT

There are more and more noise in France, from people with good relation in the F1 world and in Renault, that there will be change before the Belgian GP regarding Renault...

They need to fire Abiteboul, then they need to understand what is going wrong on chassis' side.

PowerandtheGlory
7
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:52 am

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by PowerandtheGlory » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:35 am

Renault have nearly all the pieces of the jigsaw in place, engine is now good because they hired Marcin and the other powertrain/engine guy from Merc, so engine is ok.
Driver they have Ricciardo and maybe Ocon or Hulk which is pretty good.
Chassis.... they still need to recruit i feel in this area, they have not developed as well as Mclaren which tells me that the brains in the operation is not as competent and they will have a similar (ish) budget to Mclaren. T
hey will not be anywhere near RB or Ferrari.
But this year... What Renault wanted to do......
Mclaren are doing....

and Renault are 6th in the constructors.... Ouch..!
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

diffuser
151
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by diffuser » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:00 pm

I think Cyril has enough rope to get him to the middle of 2021. So either Renault improves or he goes. They've probably already started looking for a replacement.

nacho
9
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:38 am

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by nacho » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm

They had such a good chassis and aero as Team Lotus.

Pyrone89
4
User avatar
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by Pyrone89 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:24 pm

nacho wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm
They had such a good chassis and aero as Team Lotus.
And then Renault waited too long with the purchase (1 day before bankruptcy) meaning all the talent already had other jobs. Penny wise (lower take over amount by a couple of million), pound foolish (waste 150 million budgets for years while achieving only shame because all the good guys are gone)

SmallSoldier
71
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by SmallSoldier » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm

diffuser wrote:I think Cyril has enough rope to get him to the middle of 2021. So either Renault improves or he goes. They've probably already started looking for a replacement.
They are rebuilding the team... I would be surprised if they let him go at this point.

Last year everyone was asking for Zak’s head at Mclaren, now everyone praises him for the team his building... Renault is in a similar position, they are rebuilding their team and if they figure out why their upgrades haven’t delivered as expected, they could make an important jump forward.

They have a good engine (still work to be done on the reliability front probably, but power is there)... And their chassis needs more consistency (pretty fast in Canada and Silverstone, pretty slow in Austria for example).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pyrone89
4
User avatar
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by Pyrone89 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 pm

SmallSoldier wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm
diffuser wrote:I think Cyril has enough rope to get him to the middle of 2021. So either Renault improves or he goes. They've probably already started looking for a replacement.
They are rebuilding the team... I would be surprised if they let him go at this point.

Last year everyone was asking for Zak’s head at Mclaren, now everyone praises him for the team his building... Renault is in a similar position, they are rebuilding their team and if they figure out why their upgrades haven’t delivered as expected, they could make an important jump forward.

They have a good engine (still work to be done on the reliability front probably, but power is there)... And their chassis needs more consistency (pretty fast in Canada and Silverstone, pretty slow in Austria for example).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Zak Brown wasnt a pathelogical liar at the least.

diffuser
151
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by diffuser » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:16 pm

SmallSoldier wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm
diffuser wrote:I think Cyril has enough rope to get him to the middle of 2021. So either Renault improves or he goes. They've probably already started looking for a replacement.
They are rebuilding the team... I would be surprised if they let him go at this point.

Last year everyone was asking for Zak’s head at Mclaren, now everyone praises him for the team his building... Renault is in a similar position, they are rebuilding their team and if they figure out why their upgrades haven’t delivered as expected, they could make an important jump forward.

They have a good engine (still work to be done on the reliability front probably, but power is there)... And their chassis needs more consistency (pretty fast in Canada and Silverstone, pretty slow in Austria for example).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think so too but if things keep going down hill.... Kind of stupid to have asked for Zak's head since he had just started....

SmallSoldier
71
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by SmallSoldier » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm
diffuser wrote:I think Cyril has enough rope to get him to the middle of 2021. So either Renault improves or he goes. They've probably already started looking for a replacement.
They are rebuilding the team... I would be surprised if they let him go at this point.

Last year everyone was asking for Zak’s head at Mclaren, now everyone praises him for the team his building... Renault is in a similar position, they are rebuilding their team and if they figure out why their upgrades haven’t delivered as expected, they could make an important jump forward.

They have a good engine (still work to be done on the reliability front probably, but power is there)... And their chassis needs more consistency (pretty fast in Canada and Silverstone, pretty slow in Austria for example).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think so too but if things keep going down hill.... Kind of stupid to have asked for Zak's head since he had just started....
There has to be a deadline for sure... We just don’t know when that is from the Renault board.

Regarding Zak, it was unlucky... He came to the team during a very rough time and by the time the issues with the MCL33 showed a lot of “fans” where arguing that he needed to go (just as with Cyril right now)... He got a good couple of signings, McLaren is showing progress and he is now on the fans good graces (even though McLaren isn’t at the level most think they should be)... The parallel with Cyril is very similar... If the 2020 Renault delivers improvements, he will be in a good spot.

I’m hoping they up their game (although as a McLaren fan, I also want them to stay just a bit behind)... They have 2 good drivers and they are still rebuilding their team... I don’t think they will be title contenders until the budget Cap is put in effect though, since Renault isn’t willing to get into an spending war with the top 3.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JordanMugen
9
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Post by JordanMugen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:10 pm

SmallSoldier wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm
They are rebuilding the team... I would be surprised if they let him go at this point.

Last year everyone was asking for Zak’s head at Mclaren, now everyone praises him for the team his building... Renault is in a similar position, they are rebuilding their team and if they figure out why their upgrades haven’t delivered as expected, they could make an important jump forward.
Exactly! It could still turn out to be that Abiteboul will be an exceptional team principal.