Commentary pets

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer

Commentary pets

Been thinking about Comms teams when they have favourites that don't deserve the praise they get on a regular basis.
For a start I am sure even right up until he finished truli got worshipped. But looking back apart from a couple of results he is most famous for being the head of a slow moving train.

Currently k mag seems to get off easy for his quite average performance and Roman gets dogs abuse when there isn't actually that much in it.

In formula 2 there always seems to be a driver they build up as the next coming of Senna.
Used to be markelov now it's Sergio camera both of who seem to qualify badly and be far to aggressive or clumsy in the races.

Can anyone else think of drivers who got undeserved praise from the commentary team.

jjn9128

Re: Commentary pets

It's a peeve of mine that Coulthard historically seems to have been biased towards the Red Bull program (oddly until just before Dr Marco drops them). I find C4 in the UK are also over effusive in their praise of Hamilton and Verstappen, both are brilliant but they're not infallible and there are other drivers and teams out there; and over the top in their criticism of Vettel (going back to the first point DC defended him in wheel-to-wheel when at Red Bull and now says he's never been any good at it now he's at Ferrari). They also went a bit OTT about Leclerc, just let him settle in before proclaiming him as the second coming of Jesus.

It's the modern way though, the TV presentation is about "building a story" rather than just letting the action unfold and reporting it (watch the self satisfied and smug behind the scenes video of the FOM TV director), people who disagree with their version will interact with them on twitter/whatever which increases clicks on stories and sites and helps the money-men to build a case for the billions spent on coverage.

(Personally I'd say on the Haas drivers Magnussen makes fewer mistakes than Grosjean but can be over aggressive in wheel-to-wheel situations. If I were in charge at Haas Grosjean would be gone this year but I'd currently give Magnussen another year with a different team-mate. So in that sense I'd probably be in agreement with the commentators.)
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wesley123

Max Verstappen. While I do think he deserves praise where it is due, people are elevating him like he is God himself. This is especially annoying when the other 'new kids' receive little praise in comparison, even though they are all performing really, really well.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

izzy

I watch on Sky and I think they're pretty good at not having favourites, and being reasonably objective. Of course they are part of the Establishment so they soft-pedal criticism generally.

NathanOlder

izzy wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 15:22
I watch on Sky and I think they're pretty good at not having favourites, and being reasonably objective. Of course they are part of the Establishment so they soft-pedal criticism generally.
Agree with this.

I do feel however Martin Brundle is a huge Max fan and he shows it a little too often, but its not too bad. All round they do a good job.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

izzy

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 18:10

Agree with this.

I do feel however Martin Brundle is a huge Max fan and he shows it a little too often, but its not too bad. All round they do a good job.
I reckon having all the ex racers makes a difference, 7 altogether! For both Lewis and Max really

roon

NathanOlder

izzy wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 18:59
NathanOlder wrote:

Agree with this.

I reckon having all the ex racers makes a difference, 7 altogether! For both Lewis and Max really
Martin, Damon, Johnny, Ant, Karun, Nico and Jenson is a great line up for Sky,

Lazenby is ok, I like Crofty and Ted. I also really like Pinkham. Rachael Brooks is a little dull though.

But over all, its a really good team.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Capharol

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 19:40
izzy wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 18:59
NathanOlder wrote:

Agree with this.

Lazenby is ok, I like Crofty and Ted. I also really like Pinkham. Rachael Brooks is a little dull though.

its way better as what the Dutch or Germans bring on...
and of course are the english biased for english drivers that isn't that strange, but the way they analyse and access the situations is the best thing you can find

strad

You started of fine with this :Martin, Damon, Johnny, Ant, Karun, Nico and Jenson is a great line up for Sky,
but you went astray with this: like Crofty and Ted.
I like not having commercials but it is more than offset by Croft and Kravitz.
Especially Mr. over excited screaming for no reason Croft.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

izzy

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 19:40

Oh, I forgot Karun! :oops: . With Paul di Resta (my favourite commentary pundit) that's 8 drivers!! Yes Pinks is perfect, Ted is great too. Yes Rachel isn't especially charismatic is she, just 'nice'. They should try and transition Alex Scott over from the football imo. She could represent the 'new audience' and she just has it in front of the camera

marmer

strad wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 20:06
You started of fine with this :Martin, Damon, Johnny, Ant, Karun, Nico and Jenson is a great line up for Sky,
but you went astray with this: like Crofty and Ted.
I like not having commercials but it is more than offset by Croft and Kravitz.
Especially Mr. over excited screaming for no reason Croft.
Can't blame him for getting excited over these mysterious yellow flags we keep getting that turn out to be nothing

Capharol

Ok Crofty can exaggerate a bit but he does his job with passion and love, and he trying to keep the ppl excited even when it is bored, and when it is bored you will notice he exaggerate a bit more then usual

strad

Getting all excited because a car starts is phony and silly. He acts like he's going to have a heart attack over nothing and his viewers can pick up on that. I have heard he started in radio where that is more acceptable. Somebody needs to tell him it's TV and he doesn't need to hype it up as we can see.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Capharol

strad wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 19:28
Getting all excited because a car starts is phony and silly. He acts like he's going to have a heart attack over nothing and his viewers can pick up on that. I have heard he started in radio where that is more acceptable. Somebody needs to tell him it's TV and he doesn't need to hype it up as we can see.
you have always the option to Mute your TV if it bothers you so much ... :wink: 8)

LIGHTS OUT, AND AWAY WE GO...... (sorry had to do this :lol:)