2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

mwillems wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 01:51
McG wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 01:07
mwillems wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:03

Do you have a source for this? Would be an interesting read.
A link for his own conjecture pulled from thin air? Lol
I just had a look and this was the report I had seen. It is for last year and is the latest set of accounts, so I'm not sure where this additional information, and debt, have come from.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Cs8B6ujUzt
I have subsequently found this and it's not too bad:

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/docu ... c196cbc800

Cash on the bank is up, they have £218m floating around for various contingencies. This is because of the £150m that you can see Latifi has paid so far, so another £50m to go in yet.

That cash doesn't impact the profit and loss and hasn't been used for anything yet so we shouldn't need to many loans to cover any future shortfalls. What is interesting is that they made a £60m loss...... but that is because they paid back £120m of their debts, so they are in a comfortable position really, nothing to worry about, they are a profitable company more than capable of paying their debts and not facing anything out of the ordinary in risk

I can understand why someone would look at the accounts and think they debts are huge. The creditors due within one year is half a billion. But this isn't loan payments, or just loan payments, it is VAT, Corp Tax, outstanding trade invoices etc, normal operating stuff that carries over from year to year. So I think that the amount of £450m net debt owed as stated in Mclarens 2018 accounts brochure is absolutely correct. Brexit has cost them, they have eaten up into their £5m exchange rate contingency and gone overdrawn by £14m. Thankyou Brexit. Thats £19m of the net loss right there.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

I'm reading into what Seidl is saying but if you combine that with a lack of a low DF package for SPA/Monza, McLaren have moved a ton of resources to next year's car.

As for those few parts over the next couple of races, he made reference to, they can likely just be parts for next years car that fit on this year's....

PhillipM

They are parts that were in production well before the summer break anyway.

genarro

I read an interview with Andreas Seidl and he said that McLaren dont have a tailored low downforce package like others have. Is this just because we switched focus to next years car or is it just a lack of finances?

I really hope this is the shift of money to next years car

_cerber1

genarro wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 06:46
I read an interview with Andreas Seidl and he said that McLaren dont have a tailored low downforce package like others have. Is this just because we switched focus to next years car or is it just a lack of finances?

Perhaps they did not see the great performance from this package, since the chassis itself generates a lot of downforce, so there was no point in developing it.

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 08:42
genarro wrote:

Perhaps they did not see the great performance from this package, since the chassis itself generates a lot of downforce, so there was no point in developing it.
In race trim in Spa, the car was magnificent, so there is probably a point there.

Coming out of both races we should have had a hatful of points, I dont think our aero configuration would have added much, so it looks like a good call.

diffuser

Norris came out and said McLaren Lacked Pace at both SPA and Monza. In retrospective it did work for the best, a change in aero wouldn't have changed the DNFs. Maybe a few more points for Norris in Monza.

RonDennis

diffuser wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 14:07
Norris came out and said McLaren Lacked Pace at both SPA and Monza. In retrospective it did work for the best, a change in aero wouldn't have changed the DNFs. Maybe a few more points for Norris in Monza.
In Spa quali maybe, but the race pace was great. Norris destroyed the midfield there. McLaren should just focus on 2020, I don't expect Renault to bring any major updates to this flawed car. P4 would be nice, but it's only a few million so it won't make that much of a difference.

Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 17:21
diffuser wrote:
In Spa quali maybe, but the race pace was great. Norris destroyed the midfield there. McLaren should just focus on 2020, I don't expect Renault to bring any major updates to this flawed car. P4 would be nice, but it's only a few million so it won't make that much of a difference.
There was an article I saw yesterday, with Prost practically writing out off 2020, saying their focus for major gains is on 2021. It was a bizarre story, quite hard to believe it’s true.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
Undoubtedly the pace was there in the race, it is impossible to miss. In Qualy yes they were slow, perhaps he didn't explain himself well.

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 08:42
genarro wrote:

Merc's chassis generates the most DF but they created a LDFP. RBR's chassis generates a fair amount as well.... Ferrari didn't need one but they did.

I think you have it backwards, the more DF you have, the bigger the need for a LDFP.

My guess would be that they thought they would have score enough point without the package and "a package" wasn't gonna be enough to compete with the top 3. So put the effort into making the package as a whole better.

PhillipM

Pretty much that, the car was fast enough to be best of the rest at both venues, and putting money and dev time into a package for them wouldn't have gained any more places than they already achieved, so would have been a waste of cash and time.

BrunoH

im sure they are all testing 2021 parts. its a small team and low hours but um sure they are on it as we speak. no one wants mercedes to run away again. Mercedes has a Huge workforce so they can do both 2020 and 2021. Since 2020 is similar to this year, i think 2020 will just be a small evolution of 2019 car. If i were Mclaren i wold be shifting around 25% of the R&D already to 2021 already.

i wold even bring if money was possible( not sure it is ) to the winter tests a 2021 full spec chassis mule for the last 30 min of each test and take the data for next year 2021. It wold be a huge advantage and one other teams might not have

Macklaren

So with Williams signing up with Mercedes for engines in 2020 and beyond, can we officially call the Eddie Jordan rumor mongering a bust?

bauc

Macklaren wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 13:17
So with Williams signing up with Mercedes for engines in 2020 and beyond, can we officially call the Eddie Jordan rumor mongering a bust?
I don't think anyone considers Eddie as reliable source for many years now, he is just creating hype out of nothing.
On the other hand, everything is possible in F1, so never say never :)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg