2019 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 20-22 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dtro

Re: 2019 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 20-22 September

notsofast wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 01:16
Zarathustra wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 19:59
Ok- so the real question basically is, what do the proffesional forum posters from F1technical think of the out come of this race?
During the first stint, some back markers were going faster than the race leader.
The driver in P2 complained on the radio that he couldn't go any slower.

I had no problem whatsoever with Monza Q3, but there's something wrong when driving slowly is considered a viable option in F1.

Instead of C3, C4, C5, why not bring C1, C2, C5 to a track like this? That would probably make a 2-stopper a better strategy, in which case tyre management is less of an issue.
Drivers manipulate their driving styles in order to maximize the result from a given vehicle/tyre combination. I don't see why the pace from the front runners today is any different from Prost driving conservatively to make sure a manual gearbox didn't 'splode (industry term), fairly certain this is expected from a driver. Don't break this multi-million dollar piece of machinery because you over-drive.

It wasn't stellar, but it wasn't a snorefest. How would multiple stops make the race any better besides introducing the same, fairly predictable, cat and mouse game of what's effective undercut or overcut?

Ricciardo yo-yo through the most of the race, Norris scored today meaning McLaren increases their margin ahead of P5 and below, Alfa scored despite clearly struggling throughout the weekend, Albon got P6 which was his bare minimum goal I'm assuming, needless to say there are interesting threads to follow throughout the field. Hell to say nothing of the fact that Ferrari scored a random-ass 1-2 at a track everyone said would be either Mercedes' or RB's stomping ground.

Shrieker

After this year's race, I genuinely would not be sad to see this track go. I literally fell asleep in the second half.

Bring back Istanbul Park instead 8)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

digitalrurouni

Shrieker wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 02:45
After this year's race, I genuinely would not be sad to see this track go. I literally fell asleep in the second half.

Seconded. beautiful country beautiful people beautiful track and beautiful food too!!!

Sierra117

That really was the worst and most boring race yet. Either change the track and make space like in Baku or just scrap it and go to the tracks that are actually good tracks and they keep threatening to remove.

To think they're thinking of dumb stuff like reverse grid instead of just going to good tracks.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Zynerji

Sierra117 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 05:59
That really was the worst and most boring race yet. Either change the track and make space like in Baku or just scrap it and go to the tracks that are actually good tracks and they keep threatening to remove.

To think they're thinking of dumb stuff like reverse grid instead of just going to good tracks.
Just bring on 75% scale cars, with jockeys driving. Win/ win

zeph

Wow, three in a row for Ferrari, who saw that coming?
Last edited by zeph on 23 Sep 2019, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

CHT
CHT

268,000 visitors attended this race this year. Not bad for a boring race. :)

marvin78

I think, if another team or driver would have won this, some people would not claim this race was boring. It's always the same. In every direction.

Nickel

There was actually a lot to follow and despite the lack of wheel banging at the front, I'd say this was a decent race. certainly better than catalunya, Paul Ricard and Melbourne park.

Mclaren vs Renault, Ricciardo fighting back through the pack only to shoot himself in the foot, Gasly showing Kvyat the way and slowly rebuilding his stock, Giovinazzi fighting for his job. I found all of these to be interesting storylines with plenty of action. There is not only the battle for the lead.

Speaking of the leading pack, I enjoyed watching them fight through the Stroll/Ricciardo/Gasly/Giovinazzi group. I took great interest in watching who could be decisive and make things happen. Makes one wonder what it would be like to watch them slice through a reverse order race ;)

DChemTech

Nickel wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 07:54
There was actually a lot to follow and despite the lack of wheel banging at the front, I'd say this was a decent race. certainly better than catalunya, Paul Ricard and Melbourne park.

Mclaren vs Renault, Ricciardo fighting back through the pack only to shoot himself in the foot, Gasly showing Kvyat the way and slowly rebuilding his stock, Giovinazzi fighting for his job. I found all of these to be interesting storylines with plenty of action. There is not only the battle for the lead.

Speaking of the leading pack, I enjoyed watching them fight through the Stroll/Ricciardo/Gasly/Giovinazzi group. I took great interest in watching who could be decisive and make things happen. Makes one wonder what it would be like to watch them slice through a reverse order race ;)
Fully agree, as far as street circuits go especially this one is delivering above average. There was actually a lot of overtaking in the midfield, strategic tension at the front, and although there were no overtakes in the front, the final few laps were exiting with Hamilton trying to get back to the podium. It wasn't the most exiting race of the season, but certainly not the worst either.

Bill_Kar

DChemTech wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 08:06
Nickel wrote:

Fully agree, as far as street circuits go especially this one is delivering above average. There was actually a lot of overtaking in the midfield, strategic tension at the front, and although there were no overtakes in the front, the final few laps were exiting with Hamilton trying to get back to the podium. It wasn't the most exiting race of the season, but certainly not the worst either.
Did you ever think that Hamilton had a chance to overtake Verstappen? Please.

TheGkbrk

Shrieker wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 02:45

Surely, Istanbul Park is a track that should return.

DChemTech

Bill_Kar wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 08:16
DChemTech wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 08:06
Nickel wrote:

Did you ever think that Hamilton had a chance to overtake Verstappen? Please.
Slim, but not nonexistent. A good exit + DRS may at least lead to an attempt. An error under pressure could occur, too. That the odds are small doesn't mean there's no tension.

Sawtooth-spike

Good Job there was not a safety car early in the race. It would probably have overtaken the leaders.

I think that was probably the worst race this year. After the pitstops i pretty much watched the race on X2 speed.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

djones

Sawtooth-spike wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 08:44
Good Job there was not a safety car early in the race. It would probably have overtaken the leaders.

I think that was probably the worst race this year. After the pitstops i pretty much watched the race on X2 speed.
Totally agree. A complete lack of ability to overtake (the front runners) meant this so far has been the most boring race of the year for me. To the point where I wish I had not paid to watch it and I even turned off when safety car 3 ruined what was already a ruined race.