Evolution and limit of battery energy density

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Brake Horse Power
Brake Horse Power

Re: Evolution and limit of battery energy density

If it is a false statement it would really affect their credibility. I believe they are for real on this. The coolest part is that they share the IP on the technology!

Big Tea

Brake Horse Power wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 21:57
If it is a false statement it would really affect their credibility. I believe they are for real on this. The coolest part is that they share the IP on the technology!
If they are going to share the IP, why would they get backing? The main reason to back a startup is to make returns when it matures or gets sold on. That is one of the things that concerned me about their blurb. Give us money now, and where are you going to get it back from?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Brake Horse Power
Brake Horse Power

The billion dollar investment is to build the production line for their hydrogen trucks and to start setting up a hydrogenstation network in USA. That's how they will make money. The funding from companies like Bosch and CNH industrial are already settled a few months ago

Andres125sx

Big Tea wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 22:34
Brake Horse Power wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 21:57
If they are going to share the IP, why would they get backing? The main reason to back a startup is to make returns when it matures or gets sold on. That is one of the things that concerned me about their blurb. Give us money now, and where are you going to get it back from?
Same as Tesla, as Musk said when people copy your work, they will always be chasing you, at your back. To lead the race you need to innovate

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Big Tea wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 18:30
If it is half as good as advertised it will be a 'game changer'. However, I am always sceptical about startups who want money off anyone and anyone before they actually have one, or a working prototype people can test.

I really really do hope it is as advertised, but will not be putting any of my money in just yet
From their press release, if it were as half as good as they say it is then it will be about as good as current lithium ion batteries.

izzy
izzy

Hmmmm, well eventually something is going to be twice as good as lithium-ion isn't it, but I don't find it super impressive that it's a boast to say
Through this acquisition, Nikola will add 15 PhDs and five master’s degree team members.

ncx
ncx

Here's the link to a review, in the current issue of Science, about nanomaterials and concepts in energy storage applications, batteries and capacitors. It's not specifically about cars but should provide an overview of the actual potentiality and difficulty of implementation.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... 8/eaan8285

PDF here (6.47MB):

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... 5.full.pdf