Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Vettel imho will have 2 places to go in 2021.

Home, so no more F1.
Mclaren, with the Mercedes engine.

I think Mclaren's (new) atmosphere will do great for Vettel and he can calm down a lot and have a decent car to his disposal.

Mercedes remains a possibility, sure, definately due to his German nationality will be interesting, but, will it still be the team to be at and will Mercedes have interest in Vettel over other cheaper solutions like Ocon, Russell, etc. when Hamilton decides to leave and go for Ferrari, which i still expect to see happening.

For Mercedes, i think they'd concider Ricciardo over Vettel, the bigger question mark is how Ocon will perform against him at Renault, and how Russell will do.
I can see Sainz being replaced in favor of Vettel, and head back to Renault.

well, its silly any way we can take it.
It's funny really, regarding Vettel, whatever he does will be silly.

Staying at Ferrari seems silly (both from Ferrari and Vettel's side) - unless they grab the title in 2020.
Going to Mclaren seems silly.
Going to Mercedes seems silly.
Retiring alltogether seems silly.

No matter what, it will be surprising i think.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

El Scorchio

Verstappen will go to wherever he thinks he can win a championship. He won't fear any other driver because it's all upside for him. If he beats Hamilton in the same car then great, if he doesn't then he loses nothing if it turns out he's not as good.

Mercedes themselves probably don't need that headache, so I would be surprised to see Hamilton vs Verstappen there, but they will want a top level successor lined up when Hamilton does leave, and it won't be Leclerc. I wonder if Verstappen will insist on certain clauses pertaining to Hamilton leaving Mercedes in any new contract he signs.

Verstappen's only risk is one of the young guns or Sainz really stepping up and nabbing a seat at Merc instead of him. He's got great talent but undoubtedly brings baggage, and if Merc feel Sainz, Norris, Russell or someone else can win them titles without controversy or headaches, maybe they go that road instead.

Vettel could find himself out in the cold, unless he can go back to Red Bull, but that would only be in the event of Verstappen leaving the team, I am sure. Him and Leclerc won't work at Ferrari, and again, why do Mercedes need the hassle of two 'alphas' in the team when they already have a driver capable of winning time and again in decent equipment, and one who brings ten times the exposure and prominence to the team than any other driver can.

I think most of it hinges on what Hamilton decides to do after next season.

Love a bit of mindless speculation...

Lotus102

I'd still be very surprised if Hamilton goes to Ferrari. It strikes me, from what he has said in interviews etc, that he has two main motivations at this point in his career. The first is beating Schumacher's remaining records; the second is retaining his relationship with Mercedes into his retirement from racing into a new career. Both of those things are, as things look at the moment

I think his bond with Merc is so strong that it would take something significant for him to break it. I suppose if Toto decided to move on, he might look at his options, and if the team lost a bit of competitiveness in 2020, even more so. But he's seen how Vettel fared at Ferrari, and he'd be going there with an established and very, very hungry Leclerc as his teammate. I can't see that he'd be remotely comfortable at Ferrari in the way he is at Merc. Does he not have potentially more to lose than to gain? The only circumstances I can see under which it would be remotely possible are if Merc takes a big step back in competitiveness over the next couple of seasons to the extent that no more than the occasional race win is possible, possibly aligned with Toto moving on, and Ferrari getting their act together operationally and losing the toxic atmosphere. Even if Merc slips back next year, I think Hamilton would likely wait to see how things turned out with the 2021 car.

Equally I'd be surprised if Ferrari didn't move towards a solid No2 driver in the Kimi mould to partner Leclerc. The top teams are pretty conservative at the moment. They like a known quantity. None of them were willing to risk Alonso. I can't see Merc or Ferrari signing Verstappen unless he calms down a lot, and they have no options closer to home.

I know it's not a very inspiring outlook, but I see a lot of inertia in the driver market preventing much from changing in the top teams over the next few years. All things being equal, Merc will continue to groom its juniors to be ready when Hamilton retires, RBR will stick with a driver lineup that seems to offer the best compromise between competitiveness and inter-team equilibrium for the next two or three seasons, and Ferrari will throw its weight behind Leclerc, with Giovinazzi as wingman. If McLaren really does recover its top team status, that will shake things up a touch, but is that really going to happen? Surely not in the next five years if at all. Even with all their vast resources it's taken them five years of the hybrid era to claw their way back to a still-distant fourth.

Jolle

Indeed, if Hamilton decides to switch to a non Mercedes powered car somewhere in his career, he will forfeit a life long ambassador status for the brand.

Nimble

Jolle wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 20:55
Indeed, if Hamilton decides to switch to a non Mercedes powered car somewhere in his career, he will forfeit a life long ambassador status for the brand.
I don´t think so. Schumacher drove for Ferrari for many years and then for Mercedes at the end of his career but he remains a life long ambassador for Ferrari.

Jolle

Nimble wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 22:16
Jolle wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 20:55
I don´t think so. Schumacher drove for Ferrari for many years and then for Mercedes at the end of his career but he remains a life long ambassador for Ferrari.
Unfortunately Schumacher health isn't so that he can be. But if he was, I think he would be selling Daimler cars and not Ferrari's. Even in 2013, when he wasn't part of the grid, he still showed up in their adds with Rosberg and Hamilton.

NathanOlder

Schumacher being German surely helps. If Lewis went to Ferrari / RedBull / Renault, I don't think Mercedes would see him in the same light they do Michael IMO.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Lotus102

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 00:29
Schumacher being German surely helps. If Lewis went to Ferrari / RedBull / Renault, I don't think Mercedes would see him in the same light they do Michael IMO.
Schumacher had a history with Merc that went back long before he was in F1. Even into the mid-90s it was assumed that as soon as Merc had a strong engine in a decent chassis, he’d go and join them. (But then everyone kind of assumed that a Merc in the back of a McLaren would be an instantly winning combination).

There’s also currently the fact that every single one of Hamilton’s championships, wins, points, poles etc in F1 have been with a Mercedes engine. That’s not insignificant to Merc.

NathanOlder

Lotus102 wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 11:47
NathanOlder wrote:
Schumacher had a history with Merc that went back long before he was in F1. Even into the mid-90s it was assumed that as soon as Merc had a strong engine in a decent chassis, he’d go and join them. (But then everyone kind of assumed that a Merc in the back of a McLaren would be an instantly winning combination).

There’s also currently the fact that every single one of Hamilton’s championships, wins, points, poles etc in F1 have been with a Mercedes engine. That’s not insignificant to Merc.
Yeah Im aware of that, its just Schumacher chose Ferrari over anything Mercedes had, thats a fact, but being German I feel Mercedes would always want him as an ambassador to their brand, Hamilton on the other hand, if he left and joined Ferrari or another non Merc team. I don't think he would be regarded as highly as Michael. Just my opinion
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Lotus102

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 12:03
Lotus102 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Yeah Im aware of that, its just Schumacher chose Ferrari over anything Mercedes had, thats a fact, but being German I feel Mercedes would always want him as an ambassador to their brand, Hamilton on the other hand, if he left and joined Ferrari or another non Merc team. I don't think he would be regarded as highly as Michael. Just my opinion
I was largely agreeing with you. Hence thinking that it’s unlikely that Hamilton will leave Mercedes if he doesn’t want to compromise his possible future with the company.

NathanOlder

Lotus102 wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 23:30
NathanOlder wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 12:03
Lotus102 wrote:

I was largely agreeing with you. Hence thinking that it’s unlikely that Hamilton will leave Mercedes if he doesn’t want to compromise his possible future with the company.
I see that now 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Maritimer

I can see Ricciardo leaving Renault and Gasly taking his place alongside Ocon in 21 if they dont shape up (or quit), assuming a seat opens up by then elsewhere.

El Scorchio

Maritimer wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 14:08
I can see Ricciardo leaving Renault and Gasly taking his place alongside Ocon in 21 if they dont shape up (or quit), assuming a seat opens up by then elsewhere.
He might fancy Ferrari if they have an opening. He'll be attractive to them as someone who will bring home points, and Ricciardo will fancy his chances of beating Leclerc.

I'd love to see Ricciardo and Leclerc at Ferrari together.

Alternatively, if Hamilton walks, maybe Merc pick up Ricciardo, if they decide Max isn't worth the baggage that comes with him AND that in their car Ricciardo can deliver titles.

Either way, Danny Ric is one of the nice guys, so would be great to see him get a top seat.

Capharol

El Scorchio wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 14:30
Maritimer wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 14:08
He might fancy Ferrari if they have an opening. He'll be attractive to them as someone who will bring home points, and Ricciardo will fancy his chances of beating Leclerc.

I'd love to see Ricciardo and Leclerc at Ferrari together.

Alternatively, if Hamilton walks, maybe Merc pick up Ricciardo, if they decide Max isn't worth the baggage that comes with him AND that in their car Ricciardo can deliver titles.

Either way, Danny Ric is one of the nice guys, so would be great to see him get a top seat.
Danny Ric HAD a top seat but choose not jump ship because it got to tough, and he didn't want to play second fiddle....
you really think he will accept to be 2nd driver at Ferrari, because Leclerc will be #1 driver no matter what... i don't think so
Danny Ric chose the money above his change of being in a competitve car and beat his teammate 1v1

izzy

Capharol wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 15:09
Danny Ric HAD a top seat but choose not jump ship because it got to tough, and he didn't want to play second fiddle....
you really think he will accept to be 2nd driver at Ferrari, because Leclerc will be #1 driver no matter what... i don't think so
Danny Ric chose the money above his change of being in a competitve car and beat his teammate 1v1
Ferrari won't be giving Charles any protected status for the time being will they? He's only 22 and still making mistakes. What they need is a mature driver next to him who doesn't make lots of mistakes, and unfortunately Seb isn't that driver. RIC would be great for them. For his part Danny has obviously been a bit too hopeful about Renault, cos with infamous Baku when Red Bull part blamed him, he knew he'd never have equal status with Max whatever.

So for 2021 when he's free, in fact most of them are free, i think Danny to Ferrari is as likely as anything. Of course Mercedes have a seat free then too, but Valtteri is too perfect to lose. In fact Ferrari might grab him if they're not careful.